[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

Yeah, just like you have voiced your concerns in other threads...I share them completely.

I want to use a custom tech tree(which as far as I understand still has just parts reorganized, nodes can't be created yet), with other mods.

Does it work?

Both. And AIES. It's the only answer. :)

Indeed, install ALL the mods. Personally I like to mix NP, KW and AIES - they all have bits that are 'best of' for a particular role. Speaking of which, I wonder when AIES or Korda RTGs will come out for 0.22

Another vote for AIES and this. Both necessities in my book.

EDIT: I downloaded from the front page link and, strangely, when installed don't have a tech tree. I assume I did something wrong, but just to check, are there further mods needed for that?

Edited by Synthesis

Why would you delete the stock parts when you know they update the versions isnt that just asking for a massive headache especially as it takes the mod guys a week or two to adjust there products if it has broken something major

I simply wait a few days until my favorites are up to date. No headaches on my side.

I delete most of the stock parts for 3 main reasons:

1. I don't use them, ever.

2. More parts = more loading time.

3. They clutter the parts catalog.

What I keep is things like solar panels, batteries (although I prefer the AIES battery for being less cartoonish and smaller...), Pods and things like lights. The rest like all engines, all tanks, all airplane parts etc. go straight into the litter bin.

No headaches at all.

I wonder why some people struggle to see the point in that or even declare actions like this a "problem".

No mods needed at all for the tech tree, it's just part of the base game. You do need to be playing in career mode for it, though -- there's no tech tree in sandbox mode.

I think I grabbed the old ZIP, I downloaded it again and it worked flawlessly.

So, I downloaded KW, installed it, no old versions etc., started a clean save specifically to avoid already unlocked node problems with the tech tree.

Loaded Yargnit's tech tree in the beginning of the game...I don't see any KW Rocketry parts in the tree...and I have the 1.25m fuel tank, its short version and the smallest SRB showing up in my VAB, but greyed out, saying the famous "Part model requires an entry purchase in R&D". However I can't see any KW Rocketry parts under the tech tree nodes, and I have unlocked the first 5 or so.

Seems like in the end custom tech trees and mods don't mix that well...

2.5.4 seems to have goofed and reverted the engines to older versions. Still have emissives, but the thrust is all scaled back, such as the Griffon XX is back to 3800.....

Edit: This is a problem with the "no auto-shrouds" config.... I went into it on a hunch and looked at the specs, sure enough, the Griffon XX is showing at 3800 vs the 4900 for the original with auto-shrouds

Edited by Sovek

2.5.4 seems to have goofed and reverted the engines to older versions. Still have emissives, but the thrust is all scaled back, such as the Griffon XX is back to 3800.....

I just went and checked both downloads and they're all fine and up to date. I have no idea how you have the GriffonXX at 3800 thrust.

Edit: This is a problem with the "no auto-shrouds" config.... I went into it on a hunch and looked at the specs, sure enough, the Griffon XX is showing at 3800 vs the 4900 for the original with auto-shrouds

Hmm, I did change those, but I guess I might have reverted them by accident.

Hmm, I did change those, but I guess I might have reverted them by accident.

You did on the earlier version as I had modified my apollo replica and found that four Maverick 5s were simply too much thrust for the first stage, and the Griffon XX was just enough. However, when I updated to 2.5.4 (was using the no-auto-shrouds for both) my rocket barely seem to make it off the pad. Perplexed I went back to the VAB and noticed the older thrust values on the engines, including the Maverick 5.

Also, couple of suggestions. The grey pancakes really kinda take away from the looks of rockets and don't fit with the rest of the aesthetics of the other parts. Would be nice if they were white/black like the rest of the parts. Saddly I'm not a graphic designer so I really don't want to touch them.

Also, the Ullage motors are used for stage sep correct? If so, dont you think they look a tad more powerful than they do? and possibly a little more thrust and fuel to go with it, specially when dealing with heavy stages.

I wonder why some people struggle to see the point in that or even declare actions like this a "problem".

You know, you've just said that people are stupid if they don't see things your way. You might not have intended to do it, but many people could easily get offended by that line.

I generally use the stock parts along with mod parts - I kinda like to have different styles to choose from, and the stock wings beat the B9 wings by far for small delta-wings. But if you don't use them, I don't see why you shouldn't delete them :)

Umm wow...sure would like to see the kinda stage where a few ullage motors are not enough...those things are beast!

say about 160t of rocket? and that's actually half the weight of the rocket right there in the second and third stages... but my main concern is making them actually look like they are doing something, not glorified sepetrons.

You did on the earlier version as I had modified my apollo replica and found that four Maverick 5s were simply too much thrust for the first stage, and the Griffon XX was just enough. However, when I updated to 2.5.4 (was using the no-auto-shrouds for both) my rocket barely seem to make it off the pad. Perplexed I went back to the VAB and noticed the older thrust values on the engines, including the Maverick 5.

I'll go fix the config oversight soon enough. If you want to have the correct stats you can just load up the autoshrouded configs go through the engine files and delete the module jettison part from it assuming you're confident enough with that sort of thing.

Also, couple of suggestions. The grey pancakes really kinda take away from the looks of rockets and don't fit with the rest of the aesthetics of the other parts. Would be nice if they were white/black like the rest of the parts. Saddly I'm not a graphic designer so I really don't want to touch them.

Also, the Ullage motors are used for stage sep correct? If so, dont you think they look a tad more powerful than they do? and possibly a little more thrust and fuel to go with it, specially when dealing with heavy stages.

The grey tanks are made more for upperstage/space based ventures so I'm inclined to leave them as is. That said I might look into making some more standardized smaller tanks.

Pretty much this:

But ullage motors are glorified seperatrons..

They're designed to be a touch more powerful and longer lasting, while being sleeker and sexier seperatrons.