Stupidest thing you have done in the game

Talonsin

I never watched any videos, I just jumped in and kept experimenting. I eventually got a ship in orbit and pointed it at the Mun and hit full throttle. After about 20 minutes it didn't seem to be getting any closer. Shortly after that I ran out of fuel. Right after that I started to watch videos and almost spit out my drink when I saw you make orbital maneuvers and don't just head straight at a planet.

Just one?

Early mistakes like forgetting a parachute, or getting the staging wrong so the parachute wrecks my ascent come to mind. The problem is that there are a lot of silly things that I've done that performed as desired. eg:

74sto100km1_zps90fed184.png

(The goal was to get to 100 km altitude as fast as possible, with no other considerations)

I think the one at the top of my list would be this train of thought:

"Hey, I've just sent a lander to Duna and it went fine, so I think I've got this interplanetary stuff down pat. Let's send a manned mission to Moho!" :cool:

Then, one (in-game) month later:

"WHY? WHY EVERYTHING?!" ;.;

"Hey, I've just sent a lander to Duna and it went fine, so I think I've got this interplanetary stuff down pat. Let's send a manned mission to Moho!" :cool:

Then, one (in-game) month later:

"WHY? WHY EVERYTHING?!" ;.;

I sent a probe first to experience the fantastic disappointment of Not-Enough-Braking-Delta-V, so I don't envy you.

The dumbest things I've done all involve pancaking untested landers on various worlds without quicksaving first. I consider it a mark of pride that I only start quicksaving after I've messed up twice and am really attached to the craft.

Countless times where I've forgotten to put batteries or solar panels or both on a space craft and I don't notice until it dies so I have to redo the entire mission. One time it happened to me when on another planet.

Some times I have also decoupled something in orbit, only to burn later and collide with it.

Just last night I launched my new ship without solar panels. Reverted back to VAB, added solar panels, launched again. Realized that I had no batteries, reverted back to VAB, added batteries, launched again. Realized I had no attitude thrusters, reverted back to VAB, added thrusters, launched for a third and final time.

I'm gonna do multiple ones because I have a lot of derps.

1.) Forgetting to put any docking ports on a 100 ton ship launched single-piece to orbit. Ah, Space Tug One. You were a dumb vessel from the start.

2.) Forgetting to any sort of charging mechanism on a ship meant to go unmanned to Jool. 30 minutes getting an intercept (this was back when I sucked at incercepts) and then almost immediately ran out of battery.

3.) Launching a 25-ton Duna tug... without an engine connected to the main fuel. I blame overly ambitious part clipping for the sake of aesthetics.

4.) Launching an 85 ton station support module, again for Duna, and forgetting to put RCS on it. Made docking it really fun.

5.) Launching an Eve landing craft and realizing, once in orbit around Eve, that I'd forgotten landing legs or parachutes. I have no clue why I did that one.

I recently restarted my savegame and was in the process of recreating all my missions, spacing them out in a (mostly) "realistic" manner. One of these said missions was a Munar Rover, which I managed to land near a Munar Arch on the equator in 0.20.2.

MechJeb's landing guidance was humming along quite happily until the last 500 metres above ground level, when I realised the skycrane was going to smash into the arch itself. I immediately went back to manual control and managed to fly the skycrane right under the arch and touched down safely.

Celebrations were short-lived, however, when I realised I head forgotten to check the topographical maps from ISA Mapsat, and actually landed on a very steep slope (the edge of a crater); the skycrane promptly toppled and the rover, now detached, tumbled for a good five minutes of real time before finally disintegrating with a pronounced bang.

Thank goodness for quicksave and quickload.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.