[0.23] Squad Texture Reduction Pack - B9 and KW Packs also

PolecatEZ

Actually, I can put a suicide switch on the file.

To undo then you'd just erase the /squad folder and reload it from Steam as instructed.

Next update I'll do that.

Also, it doesn't really matter how many times you run it, just that you need to either copy the folder from the .zip again or have Steam repair it.

Edited by PolecatEZ

I noticed an odd effect now, with the Mk16 parachute. The yellow texture from the canopy completely fills the area of the shroud lines. Not sure if that's something new but I never noticed it before. Anyone else have this issue? I can include a screenshot if this is a relevant issue.

I noticed an odd effect now, with the Mk16 parachute. The yellow texture from the canopy completely fills the area of the shroud lines. Not sure if that's something new but I never noticed it before. Anyone else have this issue? I can include a screenshot if this is a relevant issue.

Please do, sounds like a bug to me with the textures...can you check all the chutes while you're at it? I just remember mucking with one parachute file, but there may be more referencing it. The "space" between the shroud strings I didn't think about when trying to imagine what clear areas there would be in game.

=========================================

B9 Aerospace Texture Pack is up - savings is 200mb for RAM.

Cheers. I love that warm, cuddly, prolific feeling.

It looks like Fustek is next on the docket. I looked at NovaPunch, but that seems like the textures are already crunched pretty good.

Edited by PolecatEZ

I'll look into the other chutes - reloading the game now. Thanks to the space you saved me, I was able to install B9 - and what do I return to here, but to find you've got a way to reduce its RAM usage while we are at it? Serendipitous.

I'll let you know what I find.

PolecatEZ, I would prefer you did not touch FusTek at all - I'm not trying to be mean, but I already have plans to heavily optimize my parts using model calls and shared textures.

Its no problem, I'll hold off until you're done and put it back on the table much later if its called for.

Great work, Polecat! Thanks for taking on this project. I now can run NovaPunch, Kosmos, KW Rocketry, AEIS, and BobCat's Soviet pack, and still have plenty of RAM available to get really ambitious with my designs. :cool:

PolecatEZ, please, just include the alpha channels! You can't just strip channels from textures and expect the shaders not to care.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51132-Stock-Debloating-%28WIP%29

You and Greys can have a duel. You choose weapons, Greys chooses venue. Let me know who wins and then the winner can redo the textures and I'll happily change my files :) Fair enough?

I'll get to work on this parachute issue in the meantime and see what I can come up with.

Its no problem, I'll hold off until you're done and put it back on the table much later if its called for.

Unfortunately, you haven't actually held off as you promised - you just sent me a PM insisting on making those optimizations anyway.

Please refrain from doing so - to reiterate, the optimizations I have planned will have the texture atlas arranged very differently from what they are at the time of writing, and your "reductions" based on my current textures will become useless.

Edited by sumghai
Spelling and grammar derp

Another minor issue - icons in the VAB screen are now invisible for certain parts - all the stock science instruments, both illuminators, ram air intake, the RCS block, the RoveMate and a number of the decouplers and stack separators. The parts are still selectable and visible once selected - it's just the icons on the menu that do not show.

Unfortunately, you haven't actually held off as you promised - you just sent me a PM insisting on making those optimization anyway.

Please refrain from doing so - to reiterate, the optimizations I have planned will have the texture atlas arranged very differently from what they are, and your "reductions" based on my current textures will become useless.

I'm not sure if english is your native language, if not then I forgive you this misunderstanding. If it is, then I suggest you polish up on your reading comprehension because I did no such thing. I discussed that texture optimization and low rez packs are in vogue right now and suggested that you do it yourself alongside the MODEL consolidation calls. I also shared some information regarding the fact that texture consolidation is only part of the picture, and texture background size reduction still helps immensely. I never suggested I would insist upon doing anything, nor will I do anything more except await your next release as you said you were in the process of creating it.

I would appreciate any character assassinations be left out of public chat in the future. Cheers.

Another minor issue - icons in the VAB screen are now invisible for certain parts - all the stock science instruments, both illuminators, ram air intake, the RCS block, the RoveMate and a number of the decouplers and stack separators. The parts are still selectable and visible once selected - it's just the icons on the menu that do not show.

I can't reproduce this issue, everything shows up just fine for me.

Edited by PolecatEZ

From that link: "and MBMs don't have alpha channels because they're bitmaps."

Patently false. Alpha channels _are_ bitmaps, just like the R, G, or B channels.

The file most certainly does contain an alpha channel, otherwise there would be nothing to strip, and the filesize would be 3/4 what it is. Save that parachute as a TGA _with_ the old mbm's alpha channel and see if the error doesn't go away.

I'm not sure if english is your native language, if not then I forgive you this misunderstanding.

Whether or not English is my native language isn't really relevant.

If it is, then I suggest you polish up on your reading comprehension because I did no such thing.

I beg to differ. You keep telling me you could do it for me in x minutes, and therefore to just let you do it, when I specifically told you not to do so at all.

I discussed that texture optimization and low rez packs are in vogue right now and suggested that you do it yourself alongside the MODEL consolidation calls.

Again, as I've stated in my initial posts, I'm already planning to redo the texture atlases for my parts - specifically, I'll be chopping them up into separate, reusable files to avoid the duplicates I have right now, and UV map everything in a very different manner.

I don't really care for what's in the vogue right now, only what I personally feel is specifically useful for my pack.

I also shared some information regarding the fact that texture consolidation is only part of the picture, and texture background size reduction still helps immensely.

You said nothing about background size reductions.

I never suggested I would insist upon doing anything, nor will I do anything more except await your next release as you said you were in the process of creating it.

Evidently, you haven't. You kept trying to persuade me to just let you do as you pleased.

I would appreciate any character assassinations be left out of public chat in the future. Cheers.

I would ask that you remain consistent in your responses both publicly and privately - there's little point in publicly claiming to respect my requests, and then privately insisting I change my mind.

Will dos-shell .bat files not run properly on MacOS? It seems simple enough, and they left the capability in Windows. If not, what would be the equivalent to do a conversion?

I would like to have alternative Mac and Unix installers up and running if anyone want to volunteer to do the .bat conversion.

Your original windows script seems to have a bunch of whitespace junk on the end of each command. This will definitely cause problems in linux/osx.

amo28 already did the conversion and provided his example here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51361-0-21-Squad-Texture-Reduction-Pack-B9-Pack-Now-Up?p=672186&viewfull=1#post672186

It's a simple conversion of:

* substituting all the backslashes to slashes

* substituting the del with rm

* add a first line with: #!/bin/bash

OSX has all these commands.

I would ask that you remain consistent in your responses both publicly and privately - there's little point in publicly claiming to respect my requests, and then privately insisting I change my mind.

I guess its very easy to for someone to lie when forum rules prevent me from re-posting a private conversation. However, due to your license as posted, your request is technically irrelevant. I still maintain (both privately and publicly), that I will refrain from taking any stance on making texture pack patches for your work until you have finished with your latest update, and then, should the license on that new work allow, given the chain of licensing inherent in GPL3, I will take another look and I, or any modder, will be able to see if further optimizations can be done for the good of the community. Your outrage is misplaced, and publicly calling me a liar and persisting in the matter when I have done no such thing, and in fact offered to help you, is disgusting.

It's a simple conversion of:

* substituting all the backslashes to slashes

* substituting the del with rm

* add a first line with: #!/bin/bash

OSX has all these commands.

I'll take a look at it, and it should help the unix installer then. I found some other dos commands that could also simplify things. Right now I just need to go facepalm somewhere.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Hey guys, I can start feel the heat rising here. Mind you all to try keeping it polite. Polecat, sumghai, you guys better carry over this conversation through PM, and remember to keep it polite there.

Back on topic, this looks great. I'm most likely to use this next time I need to build one insane rocket to try keeping my framerate reasonable :P

The file most certainly does contain an alpha channel,

Some squad models uses alpha(just look at cupola). And mbm can to contain it(it was a mistake). It used if not for transparency then for specularity.

Difference can be not noticeable from first glance at VAB but in general made noticeable impact in model shading. But if no one care and all happy then whatever

I'm personally think killing specularity channel in B9 is a crime.:)

Edited by zzz

A bit late, but I had this same exact problem, had to force quit multiple times as it happened everytime I loaded up a ship in orbit, wouldn't let me do certain keyboard commands either (like F5/F9). I followed the uninstall instructions, verified the local cache through Steam, it downloaded almost 170 files (I think, can't remember the exact number). I re-loaded my game and everything worked fine. Played with that for a bit to make sure, then re-installed the reduction pack and BAM..there it was again. Rebooted, reloaded and still happened.

As soon as I uninstalled and went back in, it all worked fine. I understand that this isn't a plugin, doesn't change any code, but it's not playing nice with something for some reason - at least on my PC. Love the project idea tho and hope it's a fluke on my part as any optimization is beneficial.

Current mods: MechJeb2, Kethane and TAC Fuel Balancer

This often happens when a mod is throwing null value exceptions. Hit alt-f2 and see if your log is full of errors. If so, you may need to pull the mods one by one to find which one is causing the problem.

Polecat. Dude.

When a modder vanishes off the face of Kerbin and his work may thus go abandoned, that's one thing, IMO. When the modder is right here and telling you, don't do it (because they want to do it their way), the polite and respectful thing to do would be to follow their wishes. Even if it would be "so easy" and take "almost no time."

I downloaded and installed your mod earlier, and fixed the small parachute issue myself by restoring that particular directory from backup (though that shows how sometimes simply applying a script across the board and/or tossing out part of the data set as "unimportant" can have unintended consequences). Now, however, I am strongly considering uninstalling it. I don't need a performance increase that badly, and "the community" does not need an attitude of "well, **** what you want, you can't stop me."

Edited by Commander Zoom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.