Tallest Mountain on Kerbin

Tanner Rawlings

We as a community should feel obliged to come up with a official name for the tallest mountain on kerbin and while we are at it post pictures of our kerbals at the summit.

So, go ahead and post either a name suggestion (keep it kerbal yo!) and/or post a picture of your kerbal planting a flag on the summit

Here is the data we have and/or don't have and need

Mt. Kraken/Mt. Kerman (real mountains have multiple names right?)

Elevation: 6,767m (Everest is 8848 meters)

Pressure at Summit: 0.2583

Temperature at Summit: -40.78°

Jebediah's reaction at Summit: N/A

Cheers!

Tanner! :cool:

Edited by Tanner Rawlings

I have finally planted a flag on the summit and i called it Mt. Kraken Here is a photo of kenbart on the summit

310499.png

Though this achievement will not be without sacrifice, we honor Kenbart and Dunfurt for their heroic efforts

i had a small rover that drove up but i forgot to attach the cable to hold it steady so it began to tumble down and killed Dunfurt while he was in it, Kenbart only had 1 hour and 30 minutes to get down to sea level before he ran out of O2 but rocks came loose 50 minutes into the decent and he tumbled to his death. (I RP only 2 hours of O2 for eva)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is the data we have and/or don't have and need

Height: 6764 Meters (Everest is 8848 meters)

Pressure at Summit: N/A

Temperature at Summit: N/A

Jebediah's reaction at Summit: N/A

I have just reached the summit of Mt. Kraken with my high-altitude team of Chuck (pilot) and Franklin (engineer) Kermin. These are the same fellows who recently conquered K2, installing a weather station there.

Initial data reveals the (new) elevation to be 6,767m, a full 3 meters taller than previously believed. The team also brought a deployable weather station with them, but the terrain is going to make it difficult to place on the exact peak (its very angular). We will have to wait for temperature, seismic and barometric telemetry.

hEv2Z6y.jpg

So in theory, that mountain must be really high, since Kerbin is 10 times smaller than the earth. If that mountain was on earth, it would be 60 000 meters high, right?

Nah, that's not how it really works. In fact, smaller bodies tend to have more drastic surface features. For instance, the tallest mountain on Earth is Mauna Kea in Hawaii (Everest is the tallest peak as seen from mean sea level, but Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain from base to top), with a total size of 10.1km. Earth is the Solar system's largest rocky planet. Yet, there are 10 mountains in the solar system taller than that, the tallest being the Rheasilvia central peak on Vesta with over 22km.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.