[0.25] Engine Ignitor (Workaround for some bugs V3.4.1: Aug.31)

HoneyFox

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Table said:

new download link please? kerbalstuff is down

@Table, here's the version that came with the KerbalStuff torrent when it was shut down. This was simply packaged the same as if you were to download it from KerbalStuff if it was still active. 

Click here to download it from my Google Drive. Nothing has been added, removed, updated, or modified.

Mods, if this is against the rules, obviously delete this. @HoneyFox, if you see this and don't want me supply a temporary download link, or if you happen to update this and don't want this version circulating anymore, just shoot me a PM or reply to this post :) 

1 hour ago, FiiZzioN said:

@Table, here's the version that came with the KerbalStuff torrent when it was shut down. This was simply packaged the same as if you were to download it from KerbalStuff if it was still active. 

Click here to download it from my Google Drive. Nothing has been added, removed, updated, or modified.

Mods, if this is against the rules, obviously delete this. @HoneyFox, if you see this and don't want me supply a temporary download link, or if you happen to update this and don't want this version circulating anymore, just shoot me a PM or reply to this post :) 

Thanks a lot mate!

3 hours ago, Table said:

Thanks a lot mate!

No problem! I'm a major mod user in almost any game that allows and / or supports it. I know how it feels when you can't find or download the mod you want so I thought I'd help out :) 

Enjoy!

There's two files, one with MFD, which one is it? I have no idea on how  to install this mate :(

15 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

No problem! I'm a major mod user in almost any game that allows and / or supports it. I know how it feels when you can't find or download the mod you want so I thought I'd help out :) 

Enjoy!

Edited by Table

2 hours ago, Table said:

There's two files, one with MFD, which one is it? I have no idea on how  to install this mate :(

Well, if you read the included "README.txt" files that I included you'd know which was need for what. :P They're there for a reason!

These are packaged just as they would be if you downloaded them from KerbalStuff. If you know how to install other mods and, as I said above, read the "ReadMe" files, you'll know where to place them and if you want both files, or just the main files. 

One archive is the primary plugin and files need to function, the other archive has the option files if you want it to work with RPM.

If the plugin doesn't work or function in 1.0.5, I can't do anything; this plugin hasn't been updated since 0.25. The only thing I can do is give you a way to download it.

If you still don't know how to install the files after reading the ReadMe's to figure out whats what, I don't really know what else to do.

3 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

Well, if you read the included "README.txt" files that I included you'd know which was need for what. :P They're there for a reason!

These are packaged just as they would be if you downloaded them from KerbalStuff. If you know how to install other mods and, as I said above, read the "ReadMe" files, you'll know where to place them and if you want both files, or just the main files. 

One archive is the primary plugin and files need to function, the other archive has the option files if you want it to work with RPM.

If the plugin doesn't work or function in 1.0.5, I can't do anything; this plugin hasn't been updated since 0.25. The only thing I can do is give you a way to download it.

If you still don't know how to install the files after reading the ReadMe's to figure out whats what, I don't really know what else to do.

Yes, I do know how to install mods, I was just confused mate.

Anyways. thanks!

On 07/10/2013 at 11:03 PM, Excalibur said:

A great idea. For extra realism you could go one step further. If an engine has failed to ignite and continues to vent propellant until ignition is achieved, why not still have a small propulsive force. I could be wrong but didn't NASA maneuver jettisoned S-IVB stages around by venting remaining propellant?

If you felt adventurous you could change the flame effect of the engine to something that looked more like fuel/oxidiser dispersing into vacuum (whatever that looks like).

You'd have to look up a realistic value for the thrust provided by simply venting propellant however; I had a quick look out of interest and turned up nothing.

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but I happen to just read it, and I wanted to add that igniting a liquid engine too late is dangerous (wikipedia states it's a matter of milliseconds ; too much fuel can basically make it explode on ignition). From this, I extrapolate that venting fuel outside a spacecraft is probably not the safest thing to do even if you don't mean to ignite at all ; another engine or something else could ignite the stuff (or I don't know, maybe once it's dispersed enough it wouldn't make a chain reaction at all). Also, I expect the reactive force you'd get from this would be really low, at least for engines that are not pressure-fed (it depends from the exhaust velocity, you'll probably be very far from the typical 3000m/s when the fuel is burning). But I'm not a rocket expert, just my two cents after reading stuff on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/03/2016 at 10:00 PM, Youen said:

I know I'm responding to a very old post, but I happen to just read it, and I wanted to add that igniting a liquid engine too late is dangerous (wikipedia states it's a matter of milliseconds ; too much fuel can basically make it explode on ignition). From this, I extrapolate that venting fuel outside a spacecraft is probably not the safest thing to do even if you don't mean to ignite at all ; another engine or something else could ignite the stuff (or I don't know, maybe once it's dispersed enough it wouldn't make a chain reaction at all). Also, I expect the reactive force you'd get from this would be really low, at least for engines that are not pressure-fed (it depends from the exhaust velocity, you'll probably be very far from the typical 3000m/s when the fuel is burning). But I'm not a rocket expert, just my two cents after reading stuff on the subject.

Wow that is an old post.

I've learnt a bit more about rocket engines since then though I'm still no expert.

I'd guess that (depending on the engine cycle) failed ignition and venting propellants through the engine would cause either no harm whatsoever or very bad times - depends on why the ignition failed in the first place.

I refer you to the following though for information on the S-IVB and it's propellant pressurisation system;

http://heroicrelics.org/info/s-ivb/s-ivb-v-propellant-pressurization.html

Particularly the following paragraph;

During its parking orbit, the S-IVB's fuel tank was allowed to vent; the LH2 tank was routed through a "propulsive vent" which provided a small amount of thrust to keep the propellants settled at the aft end of their respective tanks.

So the force generated is not insignificant. I think the later missions used a much lower parking orbit to maximise payload, and this venting helped offset atmospheric drag too. Don't quote me on that though!

I haven't read the whole article above (pretty interesting actually!) but hopefully it also mentions the use of either LH2 or LOX venting for the manoeuvre to send the stage to lunar impact.

Ok, interesting. If I understand correctly they used cold (i.e liquid?) helium, expanding it by heating it, to pressurize LOx and LH2, and vented some for ullage purposes before igniting the second burn. Rocket science seems a little bit more complicated each time I read something about it...

• 1 month later...

I am posting here because I think it is more relevant here.

If you just want ignitions on a stock engine, you'd almost be better off writing a plugin specifically for that. Or you could fork HoneyFox's code (like RF did) and go that route.

There's too much going on in RF to undo everything to get down to ignitions. At least in a reasonable fashion. You could just remove the Stockalike configs and roll your own ignition configs. Just take the parts and add ignitions as desired. It'd look like this:

@PART[partName]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngine*]
	{
		@name = ModuleEnginesRF
		%ignitions = 4
		IGNITOR_RESOURCE
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			amount = 0.5
		}
	}
}

But you'd need one for each engine. And I'm also not sure of any other "side effects" that would cause, so use at your own risk. :wink:

I have been trying to understand what is being said in this post for a few weeks now to no avail. I do not have the knowledge or skill to "fork" some one else's mod, let alone write my own plugin. I've been trying to figure out if I can get just the ignitions and ullage stuff working in a clean install with rf stock configs and RF itself, by trying to "roll" my own MM .cfgs.

No luck.

I really don't want to play with RF. Nothing against it. But I live off the grid and have limited electricity to devote to learning things, like fuel mixes and how to write plugins. I also look at it the way roverdude looks at LS, I'm still just filling a tank with ones and zeros, and putting from a parts bin into a build area. I don't care so much about what is in the tank, I'm more interested in learning about the navigational side of things. Hence the desire to play with limited ignitions and ullage.

Basically this post is a plea to anyone that can either point me in the direction I need to achieve this, or spell out how to do it, step by step for a novice modder, or someone who would be willing to "fork" or "recompile" or what ever this mod to make it work with stock engines and tanks again. I guess this is a "update for 1.1.2?" kind of post. I am posting after a full day at a friend's house using internet and electricity to try to figure this out. I am totally whilling to "roll the cfgs" if that is the tedious task that is required for a full release of this for stock, I am would love to help in that regard. Once I have a template that works I can copy pasta and test it out for the rest of the stock engines, for a community release of this for 1.1.2

PLEASE HELP.....seriously the last thing I'm waiting for to start a career at this point.

14 minutes ago, AlexTheNotSoGreat said:

Could you make a new download on spacedock, since kerbal stuff doesn't work anymore?

this mod has not been updated since long before kerbalstuff went down. It has been integrated into other mods, mainly real fuels, but as you can see from the post directly above yours, by me, it involves a lot of extra stuff that may be desirable or not. It is not simple to turn off the extra stuff that real fuels adds either. There is a stock engines mod that has support for stock and many other mod engines for real fuels, but you still have to juggle all the extra tank configuration in feal fuels (which is the meat and potatoes of that mod, the engine ignitor functionality is more of an optional feature). 

TLDR: mod is out of date, functionality is present in a large-ish mod that ads difficulty to the game. 

i did simplified fork of this mod for my own use, ready for KSP 1.1.2, as well as some other outdated mods. but i'm very low in licensing, so i dont know can i put it to a public domain.

Edited by DennyTX

11 hours ago, DennyTX said:

but i'm very low in licensing

what? You're saying you have too many licenses? I didn't know that was possible. Or something is being lost in translation...

You mean making the mod public and supporting it would be too much extra work? That would be understandable

Edited by Gaiiden

I've recompiled EngineIgnitor plugin for KSP 1.1.2, it can be downloaded from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3zvvh5jtvmhdyb/EngineIgnitorDll-1.1.2.zip?dl=0

This is only a plugin dll with the source code. FYI I haven't touched the other plugin EngineIgnitorRPM.dll which is needed for IVA display.

Thus to install the mod correctly you would need to download and install an original engine ignitor mod and then replace EngineIgnitor.dll by the one above.

edit: I checked quickly the behaviour of the mod: ignitor toolbox refill and launchclamps with infinite universal ignitor don't seem to work.

Edited by riocrokite

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

// We need to pressurize most types of resources in ServiceModule fuel tanks.
@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule]:Final
{
    @TANK[Kerosene]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[N2O4]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[UDMH]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[Hydrazine]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[Aerozine]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[MMH]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[HTP]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[Syntin]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[NitricAcid]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[NitrousOxide]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[Amines]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[Alcohol]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[LiquidFuel]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
    @TANK[Oxidizer]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }    
    @TANK[MonoPropellant]
    {
        @note = (pressurized)
    }
}

// And now comes the fuel tanks that should use ServiceModule.

// AIES
@PART[satpropt300FuelTank]:Final
{
    !MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks] {}
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 300
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[tankminsond]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 140
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[tankorb1]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 1200
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[tanktoemv2]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 550
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

// KW
@PART[KW1mtankPancake]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 562.5
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[KW2mtankPancake]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 4500
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[KW3mtankPancake]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 15187.5
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

// NP
@PART[NP_lft_625m_1m]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 400
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

// RLA
@PART[RLA_s_tank1]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 62.5
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[RLA_s_tank2]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 125
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

// Stock
@PART[miniFuelTank]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 62.5
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

@PART[fuelTankSmallFlat]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 500
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}

// Finally we need some pressure-fed engines.

// AIES
@PART[dest5Engine]:Final
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngineIgnitor]
    {
        @useUllageSimulation = true
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

@PART[enginelmodc]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

@PART[microEngineex1sat]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

@PART[microEngineSE1]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

// NP

@PART[NP_lfe_125m_RMA3]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

// Stock

@PART[smallRadialEngine]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

@PART[microEngine]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

@PART[radialEngineMini]:Final
{
    {
        isPressureFed = true
    }
}

So I've finally have the chance to try this out. So far most things seem to be working, except in the version I was able to find this included pressurized tank .cfg doesn't seem to work....any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶.̶1̶.̶2̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶k̶s̶p̶ ̶1̶.̶1̶.̶3̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶C̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶-̶c̶o̶m̶p̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶k̶s̶p̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶?̶

Forgot to unzip the .cfg file. Testing functionality now.

Appears to work in 1.1.3

Edited by Errol

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:24 PM, flashfire2205 said:

I cant find hypergolic fluids to ignite engine if i use the small radial tank it makes me select a thing from a list of propellants due to Real Fuels Mod but hypergolic fluids is not there.

1 hour ago, Murican_Jeb said:

@flashfire2205 This mod is so old, so...

1 hour ago, Murican_Jeb said:

@flashfire2205 This mod is so old, so...

Maybe your looking for this thread 

which would be the newer one out ?

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.