Constellation Space Program - Three Part Challenge

Nerkerb Kerman (KRBL News): After a long Strike over lunch break conditions, all the Kerbals at the KSC have returned to work, and just in time for the announcement of the launch of the Altair LM1 Mun Lander. the Public Relations Office has also announced that our very own Macsey Kerman will be offered a front row seat on the orion space craft involved in the Low Kerbin Orbit test.... good luck with that....why do you think we don't have him in the studio..... er...I mean...........

Points rundown:

Altair

o Supports 4 crew (+4)

o Each crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1 each; max +2)

o 2 stage lander with separate ascent stage (descent stage stays on Munar surface) (+2)

o Outpost Variant: Develop a version of the Altair that can land robotically and has enough room for 1.5 times your Altair landing crew size (round up). Eg. If your Altair lander seats 4, the Outpost Variant should have pressurized seats for 6. If your Altair lander seats 5, your Outpost Variant should seat 8. The Outpost Variant can have, but does not require, the ability to return from Munar surface. (+2)

Missions

o Perform a LKO test of an Altair Munar lander. With at least one Kerbal on board, fly an Altair Munar lander at least 100km away from the Orion spacecraft. Dispose of the descent stage, then fly the ascent stage back to the Orion. Transfer the crew to the Orion then robotically control the ascent stage into a re-entry orbit (+3)

Running Totals

Design (+46)

Missions (+9)

Going to be visiting family for almost a month on the 12th so I'll be on hiatus from here for a bit. For now, here's the Ares I test with KDS and Orion Block 2 (test-firing the KDS and obtaining orbit anyway, though inefficiently), played at 10x to reduce viewing fatigue. If anyone prefers longer, closer to real-time videos, let me know.

I'm still in!! My guys are headed back now; the polar orbit turned out to be not much of an issue. Alas that the Constipation XIII mission has failed due to insufficient delta-V for the final burn of the bi-elliptic; debating whether to try again or throw in the towel at this point.

Hoping to finish up today and have a mission report on Monday.

Running Totals

Design (+46

Missions (+9)

..and saved Macsey! :D

Here's my Constellation Mun Mission with high detailed replicas

That's an impressive replica mission. :cool:

Finished! I'd like to have never gotten that stupid probe around the sun...mission report will be forthcoming tomorrow with any kind of luck.

Congrats on completing! What kind of havoc did the kolaris probe cause?

Looks like I just stumbled on this. I might get something together if I find the time :)

Just a quick question: are mods such as Kerbal Joint Reinforcer and RealChute allowed?

Yeah, those modes are totally okay. Welcome to the thread!

Alright, first announcement. I had some time for building tonight and I managed to get together a nice Orion and a working Ares I.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

That was a test crewless flight, so I guess this awards me only points for design.

If I'm not mistaken, this makes 11 points for the Ares I and +14 for the Orion :)

Congrats on completing! What kind of havoc did the kolaris probe cause?

Just took four tries to get it right - ultimately had to do a redesign for moar fuel.

This took a fair amount of time to write up and I'm exhausted now, so I'll just launch into the report.

PREVIOUS SCORES: Design 68, Mission 36, Science 3

NEW POINTS CLAIMED: Design +2 (70), Mission +23 (59), Science +4 (7)

All Points Previously Achieved in the Following Categories:

Crew Launch Vehicle (Thanatos 7)

Heavy Cargo Lift Vehicle (Thanatos Heavy 7)

Crew Vehicle (Scorpio 7)

Space Station - Scorpio/Thanatos

Munar Lander (Katapugon 7 Series):

Mun - Scorpio/Thantatos/Thantatos Heavy/Katapugon Series:

DESIGN POINTS

Duna Lander (Katapugon 7 Series): +2 pts.

Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with either the Kerbin Return Vehicle or the Duna lander (+2)

MISSION POINTS

R&D: +3 pts

Use an Ares I in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+1)

Use an Ares V in at least one Duna mission (flyby or landing) (+2)

Duna - Scorpio/Thantatos/Thantatos Heavy/Katapugon Series: +20 pts

Land an un-Kerballed Kerbin Return Vehicle on Duna. Can be either Duna-Kerbin direct ascent capable or dock with an orbiting Duna-Kerbin return stage (+4)

At least 4 Kerbals pass withing 5000km of Duna (+2)

Land at least four Kerbals on Duna within 10 km (100 km if by rover) of the above Duna lander. To earn these points, the un-Kerballed lander above must be landed and remain powered. Successful landing must take place before the landing crew has committed to Duna re-entry (+5)

Duna Outpost: The Duna lander uses the Duna Outpost Variant which stays on the surface and includes a pressurized rover. (+3)

Each landing crew over 4, up to 6 crew maximum (+1 each; max +2)

Return the Duna landing crew and any remaining Duna orbiting crew to Kerbin (+4)

SCIENCE POINTS +4 pts

Advanced Technology Large-Aperture Space Telescope: Using an Ares V/EDS, deploy a science package to Kerbol synchronous orbit (Pe and Ap at 1 508 045.29 km +/- 1000km) (+2)

Kerbin Return Vehicle: Pre-landed Kerbin return vehicle on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

Duna Lander: Lander on the Duna mission contains a science package (+1)

No other mission objectives remaining.

And I'm done; only took me two months. See you all on Vall.

No other mission objectives remaining.

And I'm done; only took me two months. See you all on Vall.

That was a lot of fun to read. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed and entertaining mission report! Getting down to Kerbol's synchronous orbit is way harder than I gave credit to and gave up after first attempt. Nicely done! Your craft always look very sci-fi, and a little scary. See you on Vall! :D

Edit: And get ready for Mun and Duna missions in the "'Chelomei's Revenge!' Mun and Duna UR-700 Style"

Edited by Death Engineering

And get ready for Mun and Duna missions in the "'Chelomei's Revenge!' Mun and Duna UR-700 Style"

...oh I hate to ask.

Glad you liked the read-through. This was definitely a fun challenge; looking forward to more like it in the future.

After a long stretch on the Space station, its time for Jeb and his crew to come home. But its not all good news. in a move aimed at increasing public support for the space program. Director Kerman has authorised the inclusion of Journalist Macsey Kerman in the replacement crew....

I will apologise for the awful voice overs now. thought I'd try it out..... tell me what you think.

Points rundown

Design (+46)

Missions (+13)

• 2 months later...

Breaking News.

Newkerb Kerman: This just in. The space program has announced the next phase of the Constellation program. We believe that a fully crewed Orion capsule will rendezvous in orbit with Munar Lander, whereupon both vessels will be sent into munar orbit for testing. We cut now to live footage of the mission!

Points Rundown

Design

> Munar orbit Insertion (+2)

Missions

> Perform the above Altair test in Munar orbit using EOR mission (+1)

> Use an Ares I in at least one Munar mission (flyby, orbital or landing) (+1)

> Use an Ares V in at least one Munar mission (orbital or landing) (+2)

> Demonstrate that your Altair can, on its own, brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing (+2)

Totals

Design (+48)

Missions (+19)

Points Rundown

Design

> Munar orbit Insertion (+2)

Missions

> Perform the above Altair test in Munar orbit using EOR mission (+1)

> Use an Ares I in at least one Munar mission (flyby, orbital or landing) (+1)

> Use an Ares V in at least one Munar mission (orbital or landing) (+2)

> Demonstrate that your Altair can, on its own, brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing (+2)

Totals

Design (+48)

Missions (+19)

Your program is looking great so far! :cool: One note, I think you might have scored the (+2) for "brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing" instead of the (+2) for doing the "EDS burn to free return trajectory". Same points either way and leaderboard updated.

BTW, a polar landing is considered +/- 66 degrees lat.

Looking forward to the first landing! :D

I think you might have scored the (+2) for "brake the Orion and Altair into Mun orbit and perform a polar landing" instead of the (+2) for doing the "EDS burn to free return trajectory". Same points either way and leaderboard updated.

Sorry. that takes me down to 17 points for missions as I have already claimed the free return points. cheers for the spot.

Scratch that death. I actually meant to vlaim the following point.

> Can perform Munar orbit insertion from Kerbin-Mun trajectory for both an Altair and and Orion capsule (either Block I or II) without using any Orion fuel (+2)

I should pay more attention. nut yeah you are right same points... so missions still stands at (+19)

KRBL News Bulletin

KSP Robotic vehicle lands on Mun: the Kerbal Space Program has today announced the long awaited robotic Mun landing of the Altair Space craft. This Historic moment marks a major milestone in the Konstellation Program that one day hopes to put Kerbals on Duna.

Points Rundown

Design

> Can perform un-Kerballed landings without the use of an Orion spacecraft (Altair and EDS launched on Ares V) (+1)

> Rover bonus: Can deploy at least one rover with seats for at least half (round up) of the lander crew (+3)

> Addition rover: Can deploy a second rover (same or different than first rover) (+1)

> Pressurized rover: Develop a rover that can seat at least two crew in a pressurized pod. This rover can be delivered with a crewed or uncrewed Altair lander, an Outpost Variant lander or a specialized Cargo Altair that brings only the rover (+2)

Missions

> Land an un-Kerballed Altair on the Mun without the use of an Orion spacecraft (EDS and Altair only launched from Ares V) (+2)

Totals

Design (+55)

Missions (+21)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.