Anyone ever found Monoliths by mistake?

AmpsterMan

CAUSE I SURELY DID!!!

So Happy that this actually happened that I had to post it without any commentary or anything.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I was testing out my plane and decided to go visit the mountain ranges on the other continent. I have made it a habit to fly around every mountain range and circle all the peaks just in case there was something on them. And I guess, after playing this game for a year and a half, I finally found one :P. One down, only three more to go on Kerbin XD

I found the Armstrong Memorial accidentally with my first ever rover; I landed about 8km away from it and followed what I thought was a graphics glitch but turned out to be the blinky-pixel of easter eggness. Never found any of the Monoliths though.

Edited by Panzerbeard

I've never found a monolith by mistake, but I did land within 300m of a Munar arch on my 3rd ever Mun landing without knowing where it actually was (i.e. I knew it existed, but not its actual location). However, that's quite a big object that can be seen from a long distance away and it's on the Kerbin-facing side of the Mun, which was always the side I aimed for at first (and still do in many cases).

It's probably worth pointing out that I've never actually found a monolith, aside from the one near KSC, although I don't exactly go looking for them :P

I had a close and clear flyby of a Mun arch from a probe in a very low altitude (~3,000m) orbit, in 0.18 or so before the Mun elevations got more extreme, that's the only time I can think of where I saw an easter egg without actually looking for it. Good find.

I had a close and clear flyby of a Mun arch from a probe in a very low altitude (~3,000m) orbit, in 0.18 or so before the Mun elevations got more extreme, that's the only time I can think of where I saw an easter egg without actually looking for it. Good find.

Pretty much exactly what happened to me except I wasn't good enough to land it near the arch and in the end I completely lost it :/

I found the one near KSC riding around rovers to test them, as far as anomalies i also found the Neil Armstrong memorial by landing close to it randomly and an arch by seeing it from a very very low orbit, but that's about it

When I was landing on the mun once and I saw A pixel in the distance, I knew something was up so after about an hour of using rcs to thrust over to it I landed near an arch :)

I also found the island runway by accident, and mistook the parts in the hanger for a dead kerbal XD

Amazing!

I'd say amazing luck, but you put the effort into checking out all the peaks, so it wasn't a matter of pure luck.

Well thing is that I have read forum posts with people showing themselves going to the different anomalies. (Specifically that forumite with the GDI Logo as an Avatar) so I know that there is one floating in the middle of a mountain range, one on a white peak, one on a dark peak, one on a plain (found that one) and one next to the other KSC. As for their exact locations however, I don't really know. :P

It's probably worth pointing out that I've never actually found a monolith, aside from the one near KSC, although I don't exactly go looking for them :P

Thing is I Specifically go out to look for them. In fact, since I found out about anomalies about a year and a half ago, my whole experience with this game has been trying to find all of the anomalies. In fact, though i know I can make it to Moho, Eve, Dres, or Eelloo, I haven't because they don't have anomalies.

I guess finding the anomalies is the only tangible goal I have in this game. I think I am about half way done. :D

I flew over a Munar arch once, barely noticed it to start with but then I could see what it was. I got excited and went and got the MapSat thing to find the rest of the stuff I'd heard about.

Good decision from me there...for once.

I found my first Mün Arch by accident; I was coming in for a landing and noticed it as I was killing horizontal velocity right before pitch over. I landed a couple kilometers away and hiked all the way over there for a photo op. I also discovered the KSC monolith like that - I didn't know anything about it (I used to try to stay away from any thread or post that mentioned anomalies). I was out testing a new heavy rover design and saw it in the distance as I was tooling across the landscape.

I was testing a rover at KSC and drove due north.

"So that's where the KSC monolith is? Huh. Imagine that."

I found my first Mün Arch by accident.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to find, if you're talking about the same one. It's only a couple degrees north from the equator. That's how I found it, too. Looking for a good landing site, and said: "What the heck is that?"

Everything else I had to actively look for.

Edited by DChurchill

To be fair, it's pretty easy to find, if you're talking about the same one. It's only a couple degrees north from the equator. That's how I found it, too. Looking for a good landing site, and said: "What the heck is that?"

Yep. If that side of the Mün is in daylight and you're coming in low enough, you'll see it up on the edge of the mountain ridge above the large crater. Me, I wasn't looking for anything but a safe place to land. It was actually my first-ever crewed Mün landing though, so I considered myself pretty lucky to find it by accident.

Yep. If that side of the Mün is in daylight and you're coming in low enough, you'll see it up on the edge of the mountain ridge above the large crater. Me, I wasn't looking for anything but a safe place to land. It was actually my first-ever crewed Mün landing though, so I considered myself pretty lucky to find it by accident.

I still ended up a couple clicks away when I touched down. I just had Jeb at the time and hadn't really used the jetpack before, so I never actually got there on my first attempt. For my very first successful landing, I was just trying to get down alive on any reasonably flat spot. Trying for that arch only came much later. :)

I've only found one. The KSC one that is.

Now granted, I know what celestial bodies the monoliths and easter eggs are, but I do not know their exact coordinates.

You still have a ksc Easter egg hiding in plain sight

(If its still there Hopefully after ksc was updated)

The Mun Arches were my first finds as well. Then I went looking for the Monoliths and found those around the 0.19 days. I sent 6 rockets that had 3 probes each to all the craters I could find in the South pole of Mun for those.

On my second Duna landing back in 0.17 wherein I actually established orbit first. I tried to land nearby "Olympus Mons". Ended up noticing the Kerbal Face. Don't know where the other two anomalies are.

Overall, I wish the devs would care to check all the Anomalies and make sure they are above ground whenever they do an art pass. To some of us (well at least one of us) they are one of the big draws for the game. I hate the fact that the pyramids are underground, the Duna signature station is underground, a lot of Monoliths are underground, the Magic Boulder is MIA, etc...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.