BSC: Super-Heavy Lander - The next BSC will.....

Even though you are all busy doing science, I just want to announce, that the 6th BSC-Contest has a (suprised) winner:

DaCfOKG.png

Didn't even expect to get into the finals with my design - let alone to become the winner. Thank you guys ;)

Congratulations to Ampster and Hejnfelt for second and third places - your designs are awesome :)

And of course thanks to everybody who has taken part :D

I will probably take a one weak break from doing BSC-contests, so that I too, can do some science. See you at the next BSC ;)

Primary elections are done! Time for the final vote! You can vote over

here!

Please drop a few line who you've voted for!

Final elections will run for another 48 hours.

Get the finalists .craft files in a singe .zip >>HERE<<

lsufj3N.png

Primary elections have started! Vote

here!

Please drop a few line who you've voted for!

Get all .craft files in a single zip file HERE

Primary elections will run for 48 hours - the six (or so) best entries will enter the final 24h-election!

Please check the challenge guidelines - even if you just want to vote!

hfJuzb6.png

And remember to come back in two days!

As you all should know by now, the stock crafts in KSP are horrible for the most part. So I challenge you to come up with a replacement craft.

Well, as I've promissed - it's time for BSC again. After two BSC competitions in the SPH it's time to return to the VAB! Last time Giggleplex won once again with his C7-B, wich makes him the first BSC Double-champion. We are on are 4 days building, 4 days voting schedule. Please note that due to reasons, I might not allways be online when a deadline runs out and you might have to wait for several hours.

Please check the challenge guidelines - even if you just want to vote! This is where I've outsourced all the rules.

How is this going to work?

You will have 96 hours to build you craft and post your entry here with at least one screenshot and its .craft file. Also be so kind to drop us a few lines, about your craft. What are your thoughts on the design? Why is it a good stock craft?

Once submissions are closed, I will post a poll where you can vote for your favourites. Depending on the number on entries, we will probably first hold a two day primary election, followed by a two day final one. Anyways, I would like to encourage you to write a few lines why you voted you that craft, it keeps the thread fresh and we all have something to read while we wait for the votes.

What are we doing this time?

As you allready know, we are doing the Super-Heavy Lander.

9284609162_1cb635e6f8.jpg

Well, this abomination has some problems. It hat TONS of RCS fuel, but the RCS-placement is all over the place. The placement of the engines is a good way to waste fuel and a huge part of the lander consists of a Rockomax Brand Adapter that does not serve any purpose. It lacks parachutes, so it can't take advantage of an atmosphere.

So, what are you supposed to build? Well, I'm not really sure - the Super-Heavy lander is really a terrible design. But here is a small list you could aim for. Your Super-Heavy Lander...

• could carry three Kerbals
  • could land on and return from Duna
  • or Laythe
  • or Tylo
  • or Eve?
  • could return to Kerbin without docking to another ship

If you want to test your lander, or someone elses - try HyperEdit. It's a small plugin that lets you teleport your lander into an orbit of your choosing. Also, you won't change anything else in your game - you can completely ignore it. You can get it here.

Now, it's rather hard to find pictures for someting that was never built. I can give you pictures of the Red Dragon, the Altair Lander and a 1963 artist conception of a Mars Excursion Module (MEM).

Edited by Xeldrak

So, what are you supposed to build? Well, I'm not really sure - the Super-Heavy lander is really a terrible design. But here is a small list you could aim for. Your Super-Heavy Lander...

• could carry three Kerbals
  • could land on and return from Duna
  • or Laythe
  • or Tylo
  • or Eve?
  • could return to Kerbin without docking to another ship

Be creative - if you think that it counts as a super heavy lander, it probably is a super heavy lander.

Hmmm, that 1963 concept kinda reminds me of the DC-X...

Agreed that a "super-heavy" lander must at least carry 3 kerbals, but a craft that can land on Duna and orbit again is going to be completely different than one designed for Eve :)

I think we will see really large differences between the submitted models this time.

Okay, here's my submission, the Crew Transport Lander:

nZdXJQal.png

Around 1400 m/s of delta-v. Enough to land and re-orbit from the Mun if you're reasonably efficient. Carries six Kerbals, which is what I think makes it "Super-Heavy". uses radially attached fuel tanks and fuel lines, and a 'unique' reaction control system - four four-way ports and four linear ports to get (mostly) balanced translation on all axes. Also contains two standard docking ports, for doing target orbit or Kerbin orbit rendezvous type missions.

Craft File: http://pastebin.com/1qhNC4Ev

I have a couple of concerns with it though:

The amount of delta-v is a bit low for a new-player-esque landing profile, and

There are no action groups.

Here is my entry. The Sagiitta V2. She weights in at 168T and 190 parts. Wide landing legs make for easy landing. Lots of fuel to spare for most landings and capable of taking advantage of the atmosphere. You will notice on my duna landing that I goofed up and lost two engines. I was still able to get her back into space after that, make it a fairly forgiving craft. craft file here.

EDIT: I should note I made a couple small changes between the Tylo decent and the Duna Descent, as the more observant of you will note. The duna craft is the final version, for the record.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Supernovy
Fixed album embedding

KermaJet is a Aviation provider. Fortunately, Reynard Rockets has stepped up for all your rocket needs.

Here's a 17.5-ton lander for landing on other worlds. 30 parts, lots of dV if you fly it right.

ROFL_Duna_Flag.png

ROFL_Duna_Res.png

This flight was done with an interplanetary stage that had insufficient fuel. With a better interplanetary rocket, this lander can undock and land on Duna without tapping much in its large fuel reserves. In fact, with just a smidgen of throttle it even takes off from Duna. If you're a daredevil, it's possible to land without using fuel by opening the parachutes. No guarantees you will survive the landing, but if you do, we salute you.

While the other landers are certainly cool and outlandish in abilities, this one sticks close to the principal of the original, but with better TWR.

Hotkeys

1 or Gear button: Toggles Landing Struts

2: Toggles Ladder

3 or final stage: Deploys Parachutes

4: Toggles Solar Panels

5: Deploys Antenna

Abort: Shuts down engine, deploys landing struts and parachutes.

Reynard Orbital Fast Lander (ROFL for short)

For version 0.22 compatibility, the ROFL now includes an antenna.

Edited by Blaster
Minor update.

KermaJet is a Aviation provider. Fortunately, Reynard Rockets has stepped up for all your rocket needs.

Here's a 50+ton lander for landing on other worlds. 33 parts, lots of dV if you fly it right.

This flight was done with an interplanetary stage that had insufficient fuel. With a better interplanetary rocket, this lander can undock and land on Duna without tapping much in its large fuel reserves. In fact, with just a smidgen of throttle it even takes off from Duna. If you're a daredevil, it's possible to land without using fuel by opening the parachutes. No guarantees you will survive the landing, but if you do, we salute you.

While the other landers are certainly cool and outlandish in abilities, this one sticks close to the principal of the original, but with better TWR.

You may want to double check your weight on the lander itself. When I downloaded the craft and stuck Flight Engineer on it, it showed it as just under 17.5kg

For me, a heavy lander needs to be able to survive sketchy landings with high vertical velocity and/or some horizontal velocity. Here is my entry - the creatively named "Great Heavy Lander" with an extra-wide base and a steel suspension system. Surely not the most efficient lander - has some heavy decoration parts that could be trimmed, and the landing legs are quite heavy as well - but this is a "heavy lander" after all.

v4Gb0Sr.png

- 4000 dV, plenty of fuel left for careful landings, hovering and suborbital hops (on most bodies)

- can land anywhere (additional engines needed for Tylo landings, see comments)

- can land with up to 25m/s vertical velocity

- can return to orbit from anywhere except Kerbin, Eve and Tylo

- landing lights

- parachutes for atmospheric landings

- docking port + sanely-positioned RCS thrusters

- root part at the bottom for use in subassemblies

- probe core for use in rescue missions

- easyly adjustable: the drop tanks can be used as interplanetary transfer stage or can be removed if not required (low-G bodies)

- 116 parts, 43 tons

Craft file

You may want to double check your weight on the lander itself. When I downloaded the craft and stuck Flight Engineer on it, it showed it as just under 17.5kg

Fixed. The ROFL has the same amount of rocket fuel as the SHL, but a significantly smaller RCS tank. The SHL has a 19.99t weight (in the map), and the ROFL is only slightly lighter at 17.49t.

The ROFL is also tested to survive a parachute only landing on Kerbin, as long as you land within 500m of sea level.

Edited by Blaster

Well here I am stuck for two weeks without a computer that can reasonably run KSP.

Got a couple of designs that might nearly qualify. Will probably just give one a polish and post an entry tomorrow.

Any judging I do is mostly going to be based on maths and aesthetics.

Aesthetics....99% Here are my Lander...

I'll call it...well,,, UFO.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

1) It has docking port...which added forcefully again my will. (I will remove it if found another way to dock.)

2) Unmanned? no problem, its hasProbodobodyne OKTO2 install.

3) Like RCS Monopropellant? Well, you got as much as 800 units. And 900 units of Liquid Fuel.

4) Running out of electricity? No problem, this lander equip with 4 Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator, enough for millions years of supploy.

5) Extreame lighting placement to ensure that you have all the visibility that you need during night mission. And its shiny.

6) Most interesting feature...self destruct. By press the Abort key.

7) It got ladder. Yes. Press 0 to extend the ladder.

8) It can land on Kerbin,Duna,Eve. Yes, it got Parachutes x4.

9) It look awesome!

Key 1 for Aerospike rocket, Key 2 for other small rocket. Key 0 for the ladder, Key Abort (Backspace) for self-destruct.

.craft file here.

Edited by Sirine

I just made a craft with 42 parts for the entire vehicle (that is, Launch vehicle included) that can go land on Duna or Laythe.

Only problem is that it is a bit boring :(

Same thing here, I like my landers as minimalistic as possible to save on the weight they have to bring down and carry up again.

People seem to favor fancy stuff, so I guess my "been there, done that" crafts will appear dull :rolleyes:

Well, if you guys have minmalistic landers, thats okay too - als long as you guys think they quilify as a "super heavy lander" ;)

You can allways try to make it extra sturdy, easy to fly or well equipped with fuel.

@Sirine: If that is an entry to the challenge, you are lacking a .craft file.

So far, many designs have bitten the dust.

Like this one:

ceow.png

Only 3000 dV. not good enough, It must be able to land and take off from everywhere except Kerbin, Lathe, Tylo, and Eve for me to count it and 3000dV just doesn't seem like enough.

EDIT: Before people ask, those I-beams are SSI patented StopDropTM technology, guaranteed to prevent engine loss up to 25m/s vertical velocity.

Edited by Captain Sierra

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.