[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

I've noticed several smaller issues with SDHI system:

1. Service module has too high drag. If you drop it when entering atmosphere, it falls slower than the Mk1-2 pod and crashes into the pod when the atmosphere gets denser. IMO service module should have the same drag coefficients as the stock fuel tanks:

maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3

2. I think the service module is a little too heavy (2.2 t dry mass). If you create a stock equivalent: X200-8 fuel tank (0.5 t dry mass) + FL-R25 RCS tank (0.15 t dry mass) + 2.5m decoupler (0.4 t) + Z-200 battery (0.01 t) = 1.06 t. Including fuel cell, it should be something like 1.2 t rather than 2.2 t.

3. Mk1-2 pod protective cover decoupler fires downwards. If there's no escape tower, it get stuck on the dock port. This can be easily fixed by setting ejection force to 0, as there's no need for any ejection force since the cover has built-in solid boosters that do the job.

Thanks for the heads-up, shaw. Let's take a look, shall we?

I've noticed several smaller issues with SDHI system:

1. Service module has too high drag. If you drop it when entering atmosphere, it falls slower than the Mk1-2 pod and crashes into the pod when the atmosphere gets denser. IMO service module should have the same drag coefficients as the stock fuel tanks:

maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3

I'll sheepishly admit that I've experienced this issue, but up until now I had no idea why this was happening. I can push an update relatively soon.

2. I think the service module is a little too heavy (2.2 t dry mass). If you create a stock equivalent: X200-8 fuel tank (0.5 t dry mass) + FL-R25 RCS tank (0.15 t dry mass) + 2.5m decoupler (0.4 t) + Z-200 battery (0.01 t) = 1.06 t. Including fuel cell, it should be something like 1.2 t rather than 2.2 t.

I'm assuming the extra mass is for the supporting structure that would be used to tie all those components together internally. Besides, the Mk1-2 pod is quite heavy (4t), and the current configuration ensures that a combination of the pod and service module would result in the CoM being concentrated towards the lower section of the SM, where RCS thruster placement would make more sense.

3. Mk1-2 pod protective cover decoupler fires downwards. If there's no escape tower, it get stuck on the dock port. This can be easily fixed by setting ejection force to 0, as there's no need for any ejection force since the cover has built-in solid boosters that do the job.

I'll have to test this one out later today.

V1.8 released - see first post for download link

1.8          20 March 2014
---------------------------

Changes / Fixes
- Reduced drag on Service Module, so that when it decouples from the Mk1-2 Command Pod just before re-entry it is less likely to bump back into it
- Set Boost Protective Cover decoupler force to 0, as the ejection force is made redundant by the cover's own solid rocket motors

Awesome work sumghai! One one of my favorite mods. I'd like to make a parts request if that's ok. I'd love to have a part like the stock hitchhiker, but maybe half or 2/3 as thick that seats six to eight kerbals and fits the existing heat shield on the bottom and mates with the command pod. This would allow the sdhi system to act as a space station transport & escape pod while using the rest of the existing parts.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by mostlydave
Added Pictures

One little thing, not real big "necessity", just something that would be cool: Would it be possible to get with Helldiver on making an enhanced docking port to fit the KSO Phase II parts?

Edited by TerLoki

At least from what ive tried, all of the KSO ports are the same as 1.25m docking ports. So they already work with the KSO parts.

True enough, but they don't look like the stock ports. Really I'd just like something to keep all my docking ports uniform.

True enough, but they don't look like the stock ports. Really I'd just like something to keep all my docking ports uniform.

You don't have to use those KSO ports. I don't, except on the KSO itself for their low profile. For all the station parts it's stock ports all the way.

Awesome work sumghai! One one of my favorite mods. I'd like to make a parts request if that's ok. I'd love to have a part like the stock hitchhiker, but maybe half or 2/3 as thick that seats six to eight kerbals and fits the existing heat shield on the bottom and mates with the command pod. This would allow the sdhi system to act as a space station transport & escape pod while using the rest of the existing parts.

http://imgur.com/a/ASojs

So you want something, which is smaller, but seats more crew members? And you want it to be able to transport 9-11 kerbals (when used with the MK1-2 pod)? Doesn't that seem a bit excessive? I mean, the only RL space transport so far that has carried more than 3 crew is the Shuttle, everything else has just been 3 crew members. Are you sure you need that much transport capability?

So you want something, which is smaller, but seats more crew members? And you want it to be able to transport 9-11 kerbals (when used with the MK1-2 pod)? Doesn't that seem a bit excessive? I mean, the only RL space transport so far that has carried more than 3 crew is the Shuttle, everything else has just been 3 crew members. Are you sure you need that much transport capability?

Look at the picture I posted above and you can see this is easily possible. This would be like the Fasa rescue pod and would be used the same way. You could use it for crew transport or leave it docked to a station as an escape pod.

Look at the picture I posted above and you can see this is easily possible. This would be like the Fasa rescue pod and would be used the same way. You could use it for crew transport or leave it docked to a station as an escape pod.

Hmmm, you might be right. I probably wouldn't use it, but that's not to stop anybody else from using it.

While this may not be exactly what you're looking for, there is a command module in the Deep Space Mission Pack (link) that holds 5 Kerbins and works well with these parts. It is about the size you seem to be looking for, and it would be easy to edit it to 6-8 Kerbal capacity.

Ap

Here's a couple of pics of what it could look like:

JYWPZcG.png

URwHsnj.jpg

kJrqe8i.jpg

I've confirmed that this add-on works with the KSP 0.23.5 ARM update.

However, I would like to recommend not using the SDHI SMS with the stock/NASA Kerbodyne Launch Escape System - pad abort tests showed that the Kerbodyne LES does not lift the command pod high enough, and while the parachutes do deploy the landing is very rough (albeit survivable). First stage aborts with the Kerbodyne LES are fine.

I'll add this to the FAQ tomorrow morning.

Confirming this sad fact... even with a tweak of the parachute deployment times, it's a little dicey.

- - - Updated - - -

While this may not be exactly what you're looking for, there is a command module in the Deep Space Mission Pack (link) that holds 5 Kerbins and works well with these parts. It is about the size you seem to be looking for, and it would be easy to edit it to 6-8 Kerbal capacity.

Ap

Here's a couple of pics of what it could look like:

http://i.imgur.com/JYWPZcG.png

http://i.imgur.com/URwHsnj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kJrqe8i.jpg

What solar panels are those? I've been looking for some like that...

Cracking work as usual, I believe those panels are AIES. Sumghai is there any chance of a more powerfull engine for the capsule?

Nope, they're definitely not from AIES. Maybe they're from the DSMP, I haven't actually used that pack, so I don't know.

I've confirmed that this add-on works with the KSP 0.23.5 ARM update.

However, I would like to recommend not using the SDHI SMS with the stock/NASA Kerbodyne Launch Escape System - pad abort tests showed that the Kerbodyne LES does not lift the command pod high enough, and while the parachutes do deploy the landing is very rough (albeit survivable). First stage aborts with the Kerbodyne LES are fine.

I'll add this to the FAQ tomorrow morning.

That's great news. This is a must-have mod for me. Right up there with Ferram Aerospace.

Maybe ask whoever is maintaining the KSPX pack (stupid_chris?) if you can include a copy of that LES in your pack. That's the one I've always used and it hasn't been changed with the release of ARM.

Maybe ask whoever is maintaining the KSPX pack (stupid_chris?) if you can include a copy of that LES in your pack. That's the one I've always used and it hasn't been changed with the release of ARM.

stupid_chris updated the KSPX LES for 0.23.5 ARM - it still functions just like its 0.23 predecessor, and can still do pad aborts. Therefore, I won't need to include it in my own pack.

Anyone has the clamp-o-tron docking port replaced by the stock one with 0.23.5? It makes the fairing fall when using my old subassemblies...

I can't seem to replicate your problem, I'm afraid.

ALERT: If you wish to use the NASA pack LAS tower with this pack, I have found a solution for the pad abort issue...

Open the part.cfg for the LAS tower (GameData/NASAmisson/Parts/LaunchEscapeSystem/part.cfg) and change the thrust from 750 to 1000, and the fuel from 15 to 30. Then, change your main parachute deployment time from 6 seconds to 2. Voila, pad aborts work... if you tie the parachute arming to the same action group as the action group used to jettison the boost protective cover. This is from pad level, too. The higher you are from the pad, the better your chances are for survival.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.