So......career mode

BostLab I am with you, I was a big mech jeb user, but now with career mode I want to max that out before I go back to it. In just a few hours of game time I have managed two cis-Munar flybys on 'manual', would have tried landing but neither time had quite enough fuel. Maybe in the meantime before I max the tree out, there will be a mechanism to upgrade the tree to include your favourite mods at a new level 9.

As a user who started at level 0.21.1 I had just gotten to the point that I had a super deep space exploration craft with multiple NERVA powered long range landers, 2 lander/rovers, and two rocket-planes ready to go off to explore Jool and its satellites (which would have been my first venture outside the Kerbin/Mun/Minmas group). However, I now want to do that within the structure of career mode. I expect that by the time I am done that, MechJeb will be mostly redundant to me.

Oh and silly observation, but I am dismayed by how far out in the tree docking parts are, previously I did a lot of assembly and refueling in LKO. Can't wait to do that again and I will be rushing down the tree to that right after the solar panels (76 science away from unlocking that) and luckily can pick up RCS along the way to docking ports. I guess RCS is an absolute necessity to docking anyway, though I know, with MechJeb I often 'forced' docking with a little main engine push from time to time.

IMO Career mode simply fails in all aspects, as a tutorial fails because it doesnt explain anything, and as a historical tech tree fails because it doesnt make any sense

Last time I checked the tech tree was 100% in line with the history of Kerbin. Please show me where it deviates from Kerbin history (links to Kerbin history books required)

Current career mode feels like waterfall. It's slow at the beginning, then it gets to speed and suddenly it's over when you feel you haven't even started.

I had rather slow start, getting just a few points of science with each mission, running into problems with electricity all the time etc etc. Then I figured out how to collect science points effectively, got access to some essential hardware and then unlocked the whole rest of the tree in just three missions.

Now I wonder what to do as I have only visited Duna and Eve and there's a ton of more science awaiting all over the rest of the system and I have no use for it.

Not sure. It may take the mod makers of MJ to find a way to get it into the tech tree. Should work in sandbox ok though.

I'm a big MJ user, but I plan to go through career for a while before I want to use it.

EEEE!!!! Download is done! Time for SCIENCE! :D

Yes, I just screamed like a little girl... what of it? :)

Mechjeb works, also in career mode. Here's quick fix: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/unofficial-22-mechjeb-2-0-9-patch/

---

OT. I know career mode is in a very early stage, but I kinda like its open structure. When I first started, I felt just as confused as the OP. However, I enjoy feeling that way. Not knowing what to do... just press a button and see what it does.

The restrictions when building rockets are pushing me in all sorts of directions that I would never have gotten into by myself and of course come with new problems.

Thanks for posting that Galileo, but having got as far as I have in Career Mode I am a little reluctant to add MechJeb to it, even with this, since at this point I simply have to master landing without it.

So far Bob got stuck on my first landing on Minmus, the crash was one that didn't break anything off, until I tried to use reaction wheels to right the craft and broke it into an non-navigable state. Jeb flew to the rescue in a specially designed two capsule craft (I didn't have any other command modules available yet), and brought him home. Now I have Bob and Jeb stuck on Mün, Jeb wen't first, tumbled and I thought I had a plan to take off anyway, but smashed too much vital equipment trying to slide along the regolith to the crater edge take off. Bob wanted desperately to return the favour from Minmus, but his landing was even worse! For Münar landings, I have a much better lander based on the Mk1-2 command pod (high survivability!) and Bill is flying my 3rd one with better landing gear, he is in Münar orbit waiting for a fuel delivery. For Münar landings I had waited until I could drill down to the docking port to get refueling working.

Hopefully I get the hang of landing this time :blush:

Current career mode feels like waterfall. It's slow at the beginning, then it gets to speed and suddenly it's over when you feel you haven't even started.

I had rather slow start, getting just a few points of science with each mission, running into problems with electricity all the time etc etc. Then I figured out how to collect science points effectively, got access to some essential hardware and then unlocked the whole rest of the tree in just three missions.

Now I wonder what to do as I have only visited Duna and Eve and there's a ton of more science awaiting all over the rest of the system and I have no use for it.

I see your point but when (if?) I get to that point I know I'd want to go visit all the planets and do the science anyway just for pure curiosity. Mind, the furthest I've ever been in KSP is dropping an unmanned lander on Duna but even if I had managed to get everywhere before 0.22, I'd still want to go and explore it all again, now that there are descriptions and things to find.

It took me two missions before I realized how science works.

After figuring out how to make a cluster of SRBs into a decoupler and getting to orbit and back I discovered the "crew report" function. It gives "tons" of science. But electrical charge is so limited that I couldn't transmit as much as I'd like... but it was enough for mystery goo.

Got "mystery goo" containers and did a bunch or readings during launch since electricity was abundant from multiple thrusting rockets.

That unlocked other science containers and then solar panels and batteries!!!

After that it seems to escalate pretty quickly. Just charge the batteries and make a bunch of observations. Different zones count; so over water, over land, in low orbit, in high orbit, one the ground. Visual observations; mystery goo; science material; thermometers... I look forward to testing the rest of the science instruments on Duna "soon".

Even after you splash down you can still make some observations. Recovering samples is not nearly as beneficial as repeatedly sending data.

As far as the interface, you'll notice that if you repeat an experiment it doesn't give as much science the next time. And the blue "transmit data" button will indicate the percentage of science value that can be transmitted (as compared to being recovered).

The really surprising thing is that I haven't killed any kerbals yet (despite multiple "SRB Decoupler" failures) and many flipping rockets from before we knew about control surfaces. I'll get there eventually though...

learning is the fun part

right now i have only flown 5 missions or so the first 3 not so good but with my last flight i got a nice sub orbital flight and landed on a mountain well rolled down a mountain

but having a fun time with the limitations

i now have the decoupler but the main issue is with power so i am aiming for the batt pack next

it now makes you work to get things so you tend to learn more and have more fun

so far only One brave kerbal has died for Science !!!!!!

Well, as was already stated somewhere else, half of MechJeb features should be in game from the start. You cannot make rocket without knowing stage deltaV and plotting transfers from head is also not that funny. Well you may take Excel and do all the maths but, then again, this is game, you may learn something (a lot) about space here, but still it is supposed to be fun - and for most of us, counting weight and trust for rocket on paper next to keyboard doesn't looks like much fun...

Carrier mode is great! SO this is not bout issues with it, this is more general comment about mechjeb and some of its functionality...

I dont understand how I am supposed to even launch the initial rocket at the first stage of career mode. I have no capsule or control module and says that I cant control it, I cant put a kerbal on the rocket as far as I can tell. How the heck do I start the career off?!

I dont understand how I am supposed to even launch the initial rocket at the first stage of career mode. I have no capsule or control module and says that I cant control it, I cant put a kerbal on the rocket as far as I can tell. How the heck do I start the career off?!

If you really wanted to start with some science rather than a rocket:

Just start with a 1 man capsule and an antenna. Right click on it and do a "crew report". Transmit. Click on the pilot and EVA. Right click on him and take a sample. Right click on him and do an EVA report. Get back in the ship and transmit. Repeat repeat repeat... When you run out of power go to the space center and recover the flight.

But you start with a command module; command modules all come with built in ASAS; but it requires electric charge. To generate electric charge you will need to use a liquid fuel rocket (not all of them generate charge... much to the disliking of my "would be" first mun lander).

Just include an antenna and do crew reports as you climb and as you fall back down to the surface. I actually included extra command pods on my early ship to use as "batteries" since I hadn't researched them yet.

The real point is focus on what you CAN do. The primary hurdle at the beginning seemed to focus on having enough electrical charge to transmit science data. But once you get solar panels or unlock "goo" containers or "material bay" or other science instruments it is a direct extension of the make reports and transmit them.

I was "creative" enough to skip exploring kerbin and I went mostly straight to mun flyby's and landings. Only getting kerbin readings as I was returning. But there are many zones on kerbin. The launchpad, the runway, the coast, the grass, the mountains, the ocean, and all sorts of different elevations that are "new zones" for science points.

Just try and discover what you CAN do. That's what KSP is really all about.

Edited by Alistone

I guess RCS is an absolute necessity to docking anyway, though I know, with MechJeb I often 'forced' docking with a little main engine push from time to time.

You know, back in the day, when I was a kid, the only engine we had for maneuvering was the mainsail! And docking ports were so tight that you needed a retrograde orbit to dock successfully. AND WE LIKED IT!!

You know, back in the day, when I was a kid, the only engine we had for maneuvering was the mainsail! And docking ports were so tight that you needed a retrograde orbit to dock successfully. AND WE LIKED IT!!

You try to tell that to kids today and they don't even believe you. (As a related aside I saw John Cleese live Saturday night)

I dont have a command pod MK1. When I go to R&D all it has is the start node with the singular other node to its right. Im so damn confused. I cant do anything without that command pod :(

You have that first node researched. It gives you the Mk1 command pod, a Lt-30 Liquid Fuel engine, several fuel tanks, and an antenna (might even have the smaller Solid Fuel Booster as well). Go to the construction hangar, and you can build your rocket.

I am dismayed by how far out in the tree docking parts are

I'm fairly surprised at how far out in the tree *ladders* are. My poor scientists are forced to leap from their capsules to take soil samples, and can only get back in by jetpack on low-gravity worlds. The guys doing sample work on Kerbin can't even do that, since their jetpacks aren't strong enough.

I get by, but how is a new player going to get any practice with return landers before leaving Kerbin?

Madcow101689:

In your career mode save, what do you see when you go to the VAB? You should have a 1-man capsule, one liquid tank size, one liquid engine, one SRB, an antenna, a parachute, and a girder piece. Do you have those? If not, can we see a screenshot of what you do/don't have?

Now I know your exaggerating. There were no Mainsails to be found on the side of the road in early KSP. Plus docking ports were so loose, you had to do crew transfers between the Kerbals blinking. If Jeb blinked, his eyelids caused the craft to roll and you had to start all over again!

I dont have a command pod MK1. When I go to R&D all it has is the start node with the singular other node to its right. Im so damn confused. I cant do anything without that command pod :(

That's the research screen, where you select new parts. You build from the big hanger or building in the middle. That one should have all the starting rocket parts in. :)

The primary hurdle at the beginning seemed to focus on having enough electrical charge to transmit science data.

That seemed strange to me. It produces some really weird early-game progression. It's easier to immediately launch manned craft everywhere than it is to do something more reasonable, like send probes to get the hang of things. Probes are nearly impossible until much later in the tree, due to the lack of batteries and solar panels combined with the extremely high power draw of the antennas. That seemed really backwards to me. Manned flight feels like it shouldn't even be present at the first couple of tech levels, let alone actually easier to use.

You can get a Kerbal to the Mun with five research points... but you don't have a probe body until after closer to 100 points, no batteries without another 45, and no solar panels to get your battery life up to a point where you could probe something besides LKO without hundreds more points on top of it.

It would be like if Apollo was the first thing we tried, but it took us two more decades of research to build Sputnik.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.