Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

This may have been asked before, sorry if I repost but the search function on the forum didn't gave me the answer I was looking for. Is there a way to edit the parts the containers hold? For instance: RCS truster blocks from another addon (KOSMOS)? (or the DEMV mk5).

Wow, settle down, it's a serious question since their size doesn't seem to be intended that way, from what I understood in the .Cfg file. I just see it as a garden hose with a pump at each end, that you fit to the tank that needs resources pumped. It's a swiss knife, something that can do almost any job, but doesn't do the job better than a specialized tool. For any conventional resource, any old plastic pipe would do (only depends on the pressure of the flow), but this one is a fancy metal one that I bet could hold whatever resource we need to poor down there, no need for different pipes for each resource.

Edited by Aknar

They don't bug me, their size do, and there seems to be a game-mechanics reason behind it. I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid question to ask what are the technical limitations and if they will be removed. The part does it's job and it does it well, but the size is overkill for the task it has to accomplish. It's the size of a fire-hose and made of metal pipes it would weigh a ton and take loads of space just to fill a tank that carries less liquid than you can put in the hose...

It was a perfectly valid question, and my suggestion was merely that despite the intention being otherwise (obviously), maybe their size is just fine after all as those pipes can carry a lot of stuff very quickly (a garden hose doesn't cut it. a fire hose might, though). Thus, maybe the comment should be removed instead of "fighting" with resizing.

Transferring fuel at this rate through a fire hose would create huge complications in space. And the question remains what are the reasons and if there are ways around, because it could be personally configured and it might interest others...

Transferring fuel at this rate through a fire hose would create huge complications in space. And the question remains what are the reasons and if there are ways around, because it could be personally configured and it might interest others...

its a game why must you make everything realistic

Pigbear: because some people find realism in a game to be more fun. Thus RSS, RealFuels, ModularEngins, FAR, etc etc.

There's a big difference between FAR and "I want the pipes to be smaller."

Also, I think they look fine the way they are. Any smaller and it'll look (even) weird(er) when attaching them makes my bases wobble around their new center of mass.

There's a big difference between FAR and "I want the pipes to be smaller."

Also, I think they look fine the way they are. Any smaller and it'll look (even) weird(er) when attaching them makes my bases wobble around their new center of mass.

I have no argument with any of that. I was just responding to the belief that game and realism are mutually exclusive.

Heh. Maybe not the best time for me to suggest this, but I've been pondering base-building a lot lately and I think it would be neat if there were a version of the pipe in KAS that was big enough to serve as a crew passage. You'd probably not want the end points to be attachable, they'd be the size of clamp-o-trons at least.

I know that currently Crew Manifest doesn't actually care about what intervening parts a Kerbal has to pass through to get from one pod to another, so you can in fact cram a Kerbal through the existing pipes, it just seems weird. :)

I know that currently Crew Manifest doesn't actually care about what intervening parts a Kerbal has to pass through to get from one pod to another, so you can in fact cram a Kerbal through the existing pipes, it just seems weird. :)

Maybe Kerbals aren't actually that solid, and as long as they don't wear their spacsuits (aka fully pressurized enviroment), they can fit through most pipes.

Heh. Maybe not the best time for me to suggest this, but I've been pondering base-building a lot lately and I think it would be neat if there were a version of the pipe in KAS that was big enough to serve as a crew passage. You'd probably not want the end points to be attachable, they'd be the size of clamp-o-trons at least.

You mean this? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52139-WIP-Bavarian-Aerospace-Tubes!-%28update11-13-13%29

This is my most favorite mod right now ! I found only two problems with it :

- Horizontal stack winch doesn't have the same interface as the other winches.

- As a grammar ****, I highly disapprove of some of the descriptions :) ("ressources", "usefull", etc.)

Edit : Ha ! The forum censors the name of a member of Germany's main political party during WW2.

Edit 2 : Found another problem - grabbing antennas doesn't place them onto Kerbal's back, but somewhere far behind him where I can't see (camera moves to center of mass). I'm using RemoteTech, so maybe that is what's causing it to misbehave. But placing antennas is much more useful in RemoteTech.

Edited by Elan

any way to add custom parts from other mods to the grababble parts list? I have some low profile lights I accidentally only put on one side of my ship, and when I brought more up it didn't let me take them off the new ship onto the first ship despite it letting me do it with the much bigger stock lights

any way to add custom parts from other mods to the grababble parts list?

The parts you can grab are described in "GameData\KAS\addModule.cfg". The file structure seems quite self-explanatory, although I haven't tried altering it yet. I probably will tomorrow.