Complete list of experiments

I think one of the goals of research should be to force the player to try something new. So, performing the same experiment multiple times under identical circumstances should be discouraged.

However, at least from what I can see now, for a beginner (and unless you regularly read the developer comments on this site) it might be hard to understand what exactly you have to do to find new experiments.

I think you should give the player a better feeling of what he currently might have missed. Let's say: make the list of all experiments public, but hide their details, and group them according to category. You may want to hide the categories as well, until certain criterias are met. For example: hide moon experiments until the first vehicle actually reaches the moon's sphere of influence.

The list might look like this (obviously not in this layout, but you get the idea):

Kerbin Surface

- Ocean biome sample

- ??? (Not yet discovered)

- ???

- Kerbin Launch Center biome sample

- ???

- Kerbin Launch Center Crew Report

Kerbin Orbit

- Low Orbit Crew Report

- ???

Moon Orbit (Hidden, because not reached yet)

- ???

- ???

etc. etc. ...

This is probably a big list, but it would help players to understand where and how much experiments there are to discover. Think of it as an achievement system. Understanding that there is still so much that you don't know is always good for long-time motivation.

good suggestion, this will definitely make the game more user friendly in terms of finding goals if it were to be implemented... im thinking some sort of folder made up of notes taken by the kerbal pilots to be viewed by entering the RnD center? i duno if this is a original idea or not but im just spit ballin for every ones enjoyment :)

Totally "must have". But it's not necesary to see all unknown for Eve or Duna from the begining before at least fly near celestial body. This should be Add some science points for explore whole category to exact players for explore. To easy to get science in straight and repeated experiments.

I'm imagining a basic "goals" that the science dept wants to see, such as "do a pass near mun at under 50km" or "get a material sample of kerbin's desert". They don't have to list the point value or anything, it would just be an ever evolving list of something to try doing to get the ball rolling.

I agree. You should at least have a list of experiments you've already done.

Not only with location but also the kind of experiment.

When you get new instruments, it might be interresting to go back to old locations.

I 100% agree with this. Let's not gategorize things and places that you haven't been at.

Just list all the useful stuff that you've done already. And from there you can figure out what type of activity counts as science.

yeah but this is a video game with 1/10 scale so its easy for ANYONE to go to orbit :P. Feel free to mod a "hardcore" version yourself, there are more than enough people for it to be interesting/popular, but please refrain from sarcastic comments on ideas people think may make the game more fun for the rest of us.

Thanks for reading this (please don't read that as too bitter/aggresive, i meant it as a friendly suggestion).

Dr

(EDIT: This is supposed to be to the gentleman who made the MIT comment above, my apologies, im new to the forum's tools)

Edited by Kerbin Von Braun
Clarification

I think one of the goals of research should be to force the player to try something new. So, performing the same experiment multiple times under identical circumstances should be discouraged.

Reducing the amount of science point you get by doing the same experiment is forcing the player to do new experiments.

And a hint for this: Read also the experiment window title, it does tell a lot about where you are (low atmosphere, high atmosphere, coast line, ocean etc...)

And if you want spoiler for the experiments data, Check the game file. Hint: it's considered a resource.

Also I think this will come later, when mission will be offered in game.

I agree completely with the OP. Right now, I'm launching kerbals into nothingness, randomly picking a spot to transmit the data and hoping the amount of science I got is high enough. Its become a lottery. The only difference is that when I'm lucky, I can't get the money because I'm out of electricity.

I agree completely with the OP. Right now, I'm launching kerbals into nothingness, randomly picking a spot to transmit the data and hoping the amount of science I got is high enough. Its become a lottery. The only difference is that when I'm lucky, I can't get the money because I'm out of electricity.

Yes indeed, this is exactly what I'm doing as well.

I don't think the game should provide the player with a list of experiment/biome combinations that they haven't done yet (even an incomplete one) as it would be a bit spoilery and not very realistic but what I would like to see is a way to review all the experiment/biome combinations that they have already done. That way the player can get answers to questions like 'did I already collect a tundra soil sample?' or 'was it Mun's East Crater or that other one of the far side that I did that EVA in?' without having to send a suitably equipped ship all the way to biome in question to find out. The list could also include the science value of the last time the particular experiment/biome combination was done giving the player some idea about how much might be gained from any further repeats.

I don't think the game should provide the player with a list of experiment/biome combinations that they haven't done yet (even an incomplete one) as it would be a bit spoilery and not very realistic but what I would like to see is a way to review all the experiment/biome combinations that they have already done.

I don't think an empty question mark is that much of a spoiler. And there are players out there that might be interested in finding all available experiments, just for fun. Knowing that, let's say, Eve has the double amount of experiments like the Mun might motivate players to design missions they would ignore otherwise.

But I guess we all agree that we should be able to review all finished experiments. At some point, you just forget what you already did, and the only hint you get that you already did that is via the reduced science points.

minmus sample return is worth a lot. was able to get both batteries and solar panels unlocked with that one.

i don't even know how you could get to minmus. i find it impossible and always run out of electricity even getting to the mun

I would like to see a colaspeable menu of experiments and places, preferably color coded. Red never done. Green, done but still more to learn. Grey, been done so many times it would be worthless to do again.

Top Level: The Experiment: Crew report, EVA sample, goo pod .....

Next Level: The Planets: Should only list "discovered" planets. A planet is consider "Discovered" when an experiment (any experiment) has been conducted there.

Third Level: The Biome: Should only list "discovered" Biome. A Biome is consider "Discovered" when an experiment has been conducted there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.