360 Science from my first ever Minimus landing and return!

Oddible

I'm sure others have gotten more science than me but this was a) my first landing on anything, and B) my first big science haul. I was so geeked to actually have nailed the landing that I planted my flag and didn't even take a screenshot : /

Returned to Kerbin with 0 fuel, 0 battery, yay!

Oh well, here are a couple screenshots of the ship that did it. First is the launcher, second is the science tree I had when I did it (made a bee line to Fuel Systems to do asparagus staging, also needed batteries, lots of batteries).

PqfQbL5h.png

VhZa1zkh.png

Congratulations! It is amazing just how much of an accomplishment it feels like, isn't it? But, before you get too big of a head, you may end up with a demerit on your record for not having the requisite number of explody things explode. Aside from that, WELL DONE!

I managed to land on minmus yesterday too (even with recovery).

In my moon mission approach I had barely enough fuel to get home (had something like 7/180 liquid fuel after setting up the way home).

So I thought: I need more fuel for Minimus!

Well, it was a little too much at the end. But maybe I´m able to do my first planet visit with it.

http://imgur.com/55ybQM7

And I underestimated the low gravity. Took me half an hour for starting again (my landing part was flipped on the side).

I did my first Minmus landing (in this new version, I mean) tonight as well. Between a half-dozen crew reports, an on-surface EVA, sample, one science bay, and two goos (one on the surface, one in orbit) I think I cleared about 430 in total. Added to the ~350 from Mun, and I was able to unlock a lot of what I consider to be essential tools for my upcoming Duna trip. It was really nice to have plenty of science points to work with, after the nickel-and-dime packets you'd get for Kerbin accomplishments.

Actually, the design I took to Mun and Minmus is just about enough to make Duna as-is, so I don't need to do much more. It was SERIOUSLY overbuilt for Minmus, but was pretty much idea for Mun:

E5azMW9.png

(What's shown is the post-Minmus version; pre-Minmus there wasn't a ladder.)

I'd be set if I had LV-Ns to make a proper transfer stage, but I can brute-force it with chemical rockets until then by enlarging the transfer stage tanks (the side pods at the top) a bit more. I might try sending an unmanned probe to Duna first, to get the science points for a flyby, but I can probably just go manned from the start.

Career mode is a fun challenge, although it doesn't have much staying power; once you've unlocked everything, it's the same old sandbox experience. (At least, until they implement the REST of career mode.)

I did my first Minmus science quite early on, the Mun has caused me much more trouble since you need over 500m/s escape velocity compared to like 100m/s for Minmus, 3 times I ran out of fuel before the 4th attempt made it back (once I had fuel lines to assist taking off).

Do we get science for recovered space debris? Like a burned-out transfer stage? Would be another reason to clean up Kerbin's orbit.

Only if it has a science part on it and you safely return it to Kerbin or dock with it and transmit the data.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.