What sparked your intrest in space?

Two parents and a neighborhood full of engineers, scientists, and astronauts involved, a Saturn V minutes away from the house, bits of tile and equipment, tons of photos, and the daily sound of T-38s overhead. Isn't that normal?

Two parents and a neighborhood full of engineers, scientists, and astronauts involved, a Saturn V minutes away from the house, bits of tile and equipment, tons of photos, and the daily sound of T-38s overhead. Isn't that normal?

Dude... I'm jealous!

looking up at the sky as a kid and saying: "i wanna be up there someday"

now i'm 21, not an engineer or a pilot so i doubt i can work as an astronaut but with a bit of luck, space tourism will become more wide-spread and more affordable in the next 20-30 years cause it's still my dream to be up there someday, if only for a few hours.

I was interested in space for a long time as a kid, lost interest for a while (due to teachers being stupid and telling me I wasn't going to be able to follow my dreams), then got back into it when I started experimenting with computers. I am now on the way to an advanced diploma in computer engineering.

Star Trek and Descent: FreeSpace

I have to admit I was more into the fantastical future kind of spaceflight until this game, though. It wasn't until I started playing KSP that I realized that chemical rocket flight is just as interesting as warp drives and the like

When i was little i payed a LOT of space themed games (or that took place in another planet) i wished of being an astronaut but then i came across the fps genre,then i became a gun nut for quite some time.

Until i discovered ksp,the game reignited my interest in space. mostly because i have never stoped being a technomaniac so it was just a matter of time.

Growing up in the 1970s at the tail end of the Apollo program, with Pioneer, Viking and Voyager missions. Then just when I was old enough to get really excited by what we were able to do in space, along came the space shuttle.

Also: Star Wars (1977). And at some point, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Then Silent Running. And Dark Star.

I kind of always was intensely interested in space from as far back as I can remember. It's been my fixation most of my life. I wanted to be an astronaut but then realized the market for overweight, nearsighted, chain-smoking, high-school dropout astronauts wasn't very large.

So I went back to school to study aerospace engineering so I could at least build the rockets those smug, skinny, non-smoking astronauts ride in. :P

When I was 10 years old and the space shuttle was doing it's first missions, I met 2 russian cosmonauts. They didn't speak Dutch, I didn't speak any other languages than Dutch and we had no translator.

They where at a science exhibit and I managed to escape my parents attention and decided to hang out with them. I got 2 books filled with lots of great pictures and information of space missions and some nice posters I put up on my bedroom wall.

(The books where in Dutch and I must have read them a million times)

I'm sorry I never got their names, would have been nice to be able to lookup what missions they actually did :)

My uncle was an astronaut.

From what time period, if you don't mind my asking?

When I was 10 years old and the space shuttle was doing it's first missions, I met 2 russian cosmonauts. They didn't speak Dutch, I didn't speak any other languages than Dutch and we had no translator.

I grew up in the 1980s, when the Russians were the "Evil Empire"; we both eyed each other over the wall in Berlin and had nuclear weapons ready to go at a moment's notice. Now, it's not uncommon to hear Russian being spoken around here. That still strikes me as a bit odd.

Uhm... ehm... hm. Oh! Right! Okay, so, I really liked games where I could blow things up and crash things a few years ago, so I bought FSX and installed some damage mods. At first I just messed around and crashed planes, you know. Stuff. Then, I started getting into it for real, so yeah, did that for a few years I think, then I saw some KSP vids popping up here and there... then my favorite YTber's fans got all like "PLAY KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM NOAW!" So I downloaded the demo... played that a bit, I liked it, then my favorite YTber played it, and I was all like *throwing money at screen* and yeah... now I'm addicted to space and stuff.... :D

Watching Star Trek TNG and Cosmos with my uncle as a wee lad. Always thought Id pursue a career in a related field until I realized around high-school that I detest advanced math. I do logistics nowadays, but always keep an eye out of a way to shoehorn myself into a related position someday.

edit: also, visiting KSC (Thats Kennedy, not Kerbal) was absolutely mindblowing to 8 year oldish me. I even got picked from the audience to experience some of the exercise system they had in a demo module, for then future ISS. I got a neat small-person-size shuttle-crew jumpsuit and jacket that I got to keep at the end. It was amazing.

Edited by UNSA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.