[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

That is possible. I would have to talk with Greys about it. However it is possible that i may get Grays help with making the weather balloon part as well.

Sweet, I kinda hope you two can then. :D

I love the balloons, but they always look so out of place strapped to the top of by vehicles in a container wider then the vehicle, that does not conform either. :(

Sweet, I kinda hope you two can then. :D

I love the balloons, but they always look so out of place strapped to the top of by vehicles in a container wider then the vehicle, that does not conform either. :(

Once I can learn how to animate things in Unity I hope to make one that will deploy out of an inline 1.25m unit. Something that would look about like the inline docking port.

I wanted to give you all an update on the mod and it's progress. I've got the basic model for the Drone Blimp finished. Still trying to work out how to allow it to be the first part but the lift function works and it is stable. I have given it a small internal power generator as well so it will not have to rely on solar power. Here is a shot of it in game. Please note this is NOT the final item or texture.

XD5rcd0.jpg

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the chart that estimated how much lift you'd get from the various airship parts on different planets (and at different altitudes)? It used to be on the first page of Hooligan's thread, but I can't find it there or on the wiki at the moment.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the chart that estimated how much lift you'd get from the various airship parts on different planets (and at different altitudes)? It used to be on the first page of Hooligan's thread, but I can't find it there or on the wiki at the moment.

http://hlmods.wikia.com/wiki/Airship_Lift_Tables

Here you go

http://emol.org/tv/alienplanet/ike.jpg

something like this for a drone would be awesome also Balboa was red

I agree that it would be neat but honestly it is a bit too high poly count at the moment and is FAR more complex to model than I am able to do. I still haven't decided on a name yet but the balloon does work.

Ok so here is the thing. I have the model for the Drone Finished. I still need to balance it out some seeing as the weight is still set to 0.1 which is a REALLY low mass... >.>

HOWEVER! I have tested it on Duna and it will easily hold at 5km as you can see here

auJpaZ3.jpg

Now this still lacks the engines and science features but I am willing to put it out there as a beta test item for anybody interested in it.

I wish you would change the drone blimp design from the traditional to a more modern design. Maybe more like an oval shape instead of the round anti-luftwaffe WWII shape.

-snip-

Sure I could make both but honestly with this only being my second model done in Unity I wanted to stick to simple and easy. I'll make more modern ones later i suppose.

Sure I could make both but honestly with this only being my second model done in Unity I wanted to stick to simple and easy. I'll make more modern ones later i suppose.

No worries, I understand the work that is involved. Just looking out for aesthetics.

To the best of my knowledge it will. I plan to put the 0.22 career patch up tonight.

Aw yeah!1 Cheers for working on it

Did you get the engines working ?=) If not you need to make two empy gameobject, under your engine parent/object in unity. Then use the same name for the enginemodule in the cfg files

Edited by ahappydude

Just a question.

How do you bring an airship to a planet? You inflate it?

You normally want one of the inflatable envelopes (Ray, Una, Cirrus) and deliver it by rocket in the usual way. In certain cases you can actually SSTO an airship, but it's typically problematic -- the airship envelope becomes an impediment to gaining horizontal speed well before it stops being a significant contribution to vertical speed, i.e. it's a great help to getting off a planet provided you're ready to get rid of the airship part.

Decoupling envelopes is a great way to get off Eve, though. :)

You normally want one of the inflatable envelopes (Ray, Una, Cirrus) and deliver it by rocket in the usual way. In certain cases you can actually SSTO an airship, but it's typically problematic -- the airship envelope becomes an impediment to gaining horizontal speed well before it stops being a significant contribution to vertical speed, i.e. it's a great help to getting off a planet provided you're ready to get rid of the airship part.

Certainly is the most fuel efficient!

Or, you know, have it be one of those inflatable gasbags. That would have been a neat idea for the probe as well- a probe body, with a connection point above it for the gasbag, which inflates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.