Anyway to transfer samples and reports between command pods?

I was wondering if it can be done and if so how? Kinda puts a dent in my apollo style setup if so.
Sadly, there isn't one. A pure Apollo-style landing is going to have to mainly rely on transmitted data if you want to stay faithful to the mission profile.

I've filed a feature request on Squad's bug tracker. Presently a Kerbal can carry one EVA report and one sample (at least in the explorations I've done), so having them carry items across pods seems reasonable. The only challenge is making a new interface to select which items to retrieve.

The alternative is a dedicated sample tray and/or mission hard drive part but that's a lot more work. Perhaps a modder is up to the task?

Actually I would even wish to take this a step further.

I can understand that the real value of an experiment is bringing the materials/goo back to Kerbin for further research, but some rocks (surface samples), pretty pictures (EVAs) and mission logs (EVAs, crew reports) surely fit into a crew pod, mostly being files on a hard drive or sheets of paper if you want it that way.

So, transfering the results of many experiments should be possible.

The step further: Instead of transmitting the data, put it onto a hard drive - with the same rate of loss as the transmission itself, but without the need of lots of power. Then bring the data back to Kerbin and land it.

Where is the difference to transmitting right away you ask? Good question, not that sure myself, other than it is a different way of doing things. And - I think this is a big plus - you get to see a nice big number at the end, all transmitted science is just added to your total, bringing the ship back at last for a small amount of science is somewhat unsatisfying.

Edited by KerbMav

• 8 months later...

Hey guys I finally found the way!

1. EVA out of your lander and right click the lander, select take data

2. Hang on to your Command ship and right click on it, select store data.

However, you have to throwaway some data if Command ship have the same type of data.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.