[0.22] Stayputnik Mk. 2: Probe that does Crew Reports

Interfect

Hello, all!

With the new science system in 0.22, I felt like probes couldn't do enough cool stuff. So, I whipped together a quick little part: a probe that allows you to take "Computer Reports", which are exactly the same as crew reports but don't actually require any crew.

It's called the "Stayputnik Mk. 2" and it's on the tech tree under "Large Probes", as it's a 2x larger version of the Stayputnik Mk. 1.

It may or may not actually work. Let me know if it doesn't work. I can take reports in Sandbox mode and get the messages about how it doesn't actually accomplish anything, but I don't actually have the appropriate tech in Career mode yet to try and science with it.

Also, let me know if you think of a good way to balance this, gameplay-wise. I think right now the main downsides to the part are high power draw and low torque, but I don't know if that's going to be enough. It might make science too easy.

Download from MEGA

License: WTFPL

Edited by Interfect

if u want people to use your mod ss always help. also adding a seprate souce download is recommended.

now for constructive critisim. it needs to be uniqe download imo. its easy to add the report funtion and also resize a stock part with just number change and a copy paste

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceExperiment

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report

resetActionName = Discard Crew Report

reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False

useActionGroups = True

hideUIwhenUnavailable = True

rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data

storeActionName = Store Experiments

evaOnlyStorage = True

storageRange = 1.3

}

is all thats needed to realy be added

might as well just do an infinite science mod, or better still, play sandbox.

What makes you say that?

Allowing a probe to send reports detailing it's position and status isn't asking for some groundbreaking new concept. That's kind of what they do; from Sputnik to Voyager.

If anything, this should have be a default feature, so good for OP for making this.

Edited by ScramblesTD

If anything, this should have be a default feature, so good for OP for making this.

Agreed. I have no use for the probes as is, and haven't used them for anything. Plus, why would this emulate an infinite science mod? Diminishing returns guarantees that can't happen, doesn't it? Also, "Please add photos and a part list"....uhhh....lawls aplenty there.

Good idea, Interfect, I'll be trying this out.

because manned pods are heavier than unmanned probes. If a lighter part gives the same amount of science, why would I ever use the heavier one? It is essentially reducing the difficulty of the game. So you might as well go all the way.

Hakari, probes don't give EVA reports or take samples. It might be a good idea to have computer reports worth less and count separately than crew reports.

Good to see! The community is doing a great job fixing Squad's .22 mess!

Personally I don't like the idea. The whole point of sending manned vessels is to get extras that probes can't do. Crew reports is one of those in my opinion, it's why we send manned missions. A probe can take photos and send data but it cannot give an impression, it can't express hunches or feelings or look around/observe what it is not expressly sent to do.

Some folk may like it but not for me.

Good idea, although as some already pointed out - ideally there should be seperate experiment, called "probe analysis" or something, and IMO:

1. It should give less science than crew report.

2. It should have seperate science pool, so it doesn't exhaust the manned one. It should also exhaust faster.

3. It should only allow to transmit data, not store it.

This way realistic tree mods (aircraft>probes>manned) would make more sense.

It would also be nice to have a "sampling arm" part that would allow picking surface samples, at the same conditions as probe analysis - less science, transmit only, etc. - this would give "automated" rovers and landers some purpose.

This is a step in the right direction. Whatever Squad did with the current tech tree is hopefully not set in stone. It makes zero sense a world where science progress from manned spacecrafts -> probes -> aircraft.

I hope they give the parts progression a better meaning, considering the educational potential KSP has, and not just balancing them like potions in a MMORPG.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.