Lightspeed to slow???

Foothill

Before .22, KSP was ridiculously hard. Now it is ludicrously hard, and that's the way I like it.

Just giving my thanks to the devs for the many hours given to make the most challenging game since Battletoads.

Post if you agree that this one of the hardest and most fascinating games ever.

Who made that man a gunner?

I did sir, he's my cousin.

Tough but fun! I remember how exciting it was when I first made the major milestones of a space program (Sats, Kerbals in orbit, Mun stuff ect.) I'm starting to branch put more by exploring the Kerbol system. I'm expecting it to be challanging! :) (This is referring to my sandbox game though, I'm still getting started with career.)

KSP is like that line from Apollo 13 when they're trying to solve the C02 scrubber problem. "We gotta make this, fit into the hole for this, using nothing but that." - Even more so in career mode (loving career mode, it's like a whole new game.)

I've always been a problem solver and backyard-engineer at heart. So tied up with my nerd love for space, this is my perfect game.

Another truely beautiful thing is that it doesn't take itself seriously. Having crazy little green men ride in your rockets gives you license to be utterly ridiculous, and how can you not love that. The concept is glorious.

Yes indeed. I don't think it is much harder than Sandbox Mode because the Tech Tree Limits you, and you have to take Babysteps in the beginning. The limitiation lets me Focus on one thing at a time. HarvesteR was right when he said the Game was Overwhelming for Newbies with all that Parts. He mentioned also that some may not read the description. I don't think so. I think that the descriptions focus more on humor than on actual useful Information. Some Parts don't have a description at all, just fluff text.

I am yet to try career mode, but I'm expecting it to be fun. As for he game itself? I actually haven't found it particularly hard so far, but then again, I am yet to go to a lot of the other planets. I spend a lot more time designing rockets than flying them, which annoys me.

I played long enough in sandbox mode that carrier mode was not harder, it was just an other interesting challenge. :) But i still learned a lot from it. Going through the tech tree was like a big tutorial for me (i tried to play through realistically, and not grinding). Before carrier mode, i used to put an orange tanks and a skipper or mainsail engines on everything i wanted to shoot up - from now on, i think i will use smaller lifters

I can't resist...the thread title....

"Light difficulty too easy?!"

"Yes...we have to go to...Ludicrous Difficulty"

"*gasp* Ludicrous difficulty!? Sir, we've never played that hard before! I don't think this game can handle it!"

"What's the matter Colonel Sanders?! Chicken!?"

I regret nothing.

Finally got to play a bit over the weekend. Starting over with career mode is glorious. Thanks to the subassembly system, I'm finding myself building proper series of rockets:

Humble series are single-stage SRB rockets

Patient series are single-stage LV-30 rockets

Fireball series are multi-stage built from stacking Humble stages

Harmony series are multi-stage built from a Humble booster (later a Fireball booster) below a Patient rocket

Gooball series are science mission craft that repurpose a rocket from any series to do science

I have to restrict myself from climbing the tech tree too quickly as I am swimming in science points after all my test launches and landings, but having a lot of fun.

C02 scrubber problem. "We gotta make this, fit into the hole for this, using nothing but that."

DUDE YOU ARE S RIGHT!

I greatly enjoy problem solving games but even more so building games. Also Apollo 13 is a great movie :D

what KSP needs now in my eyes is an easy multiplayer. Or a "race to the mun" game or something like that...

Career mode gives you a chance to play with equipment you might never bother with in sandbox. Its so easy to min-max things you really take it for granted when you have to use a 'less' efficient engine simply because that's all you have to work with at the moment. They wisely put orange tanks and mainsails at the end of the tech tree, really forcing you to get creative with other rocket engines and parts.

Before .22, KSP was ridiculously hard. Now it is ludicrously hard, and that's the way I like it.

Just giving my thanks to the devs for the many hours given to make the most challenging game since Battletoads.

Post if you agree that this one of the hardest and most fascinating games ever.

Who made that man a gunner?

I did sir, he's my cousin.

37243289.jpg

Dear sir, I must tell you to tear out your eyes after seeing that movie, it's an abomination.

Nah, just kiddin' awesome reference

I can't resist...the thread title....

"Light difficulty too easy?!"

"Yes...we have to go to...Ludicrous Difficulty"

"*gasp* Ludicrous difficulty!? Sir, we've never played that hard before! I don't think this game can handle it!"

"What's the matter Colonel Sanders?! Chicken!?"

I so frakking love that movie.

Colonel Sandurz: Are we being too literal?

Dark Helmet: No you fool, we're following orders. We were told to comb the desert so we're combing it.

Also

Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Thehe :P

Edited by Danish_Savage

See, I have to disagree. To me, KSP just isn't that hard; it's got a pretty steep learning curve, but the difficulty plateaus quickly after that. For the first day or so you might have a difficult time doing basic things like getting to orbit or docking, and it'll be a couple days before you land on any other planets, but once you're past that it's really not difficult to make a design capable of doing things successfully on the first try. The only times I had repeated failures after that initial learning period were when I tried entirely new things (like my first spaceplane), but again, once you've had a little practice the difficulty goes away.

The later game's challenge, then, came from goals I'd set for myself. Land on Eve and return. Land a giant rover (mobile refinery base) on Mun. Set up fuel depots around the major planets. Land an SSTO spaceplane on Mun. Put mapping probes in polar orbits around every planet and moon. Build a giant SSTO rocket booster capable of lifting a 500-ton payload into orbit. Do a Grand Tour. That sort of thing. But those are not really what I'd consider "difficult"; in general, the basic concepts are no different than what I'd done previously, it's just a difference of scale. Once you know how to manage thrust-to-weight ratios and delta-Vs it's not hard to make designs that can do these things, and the actual doing is no more difficult than the things you did earlier.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of fun and your designs will always have room for improvement. I just wouldn't categorize the game as "ridiculously hard"; it's more "complex" than "hard".

It's still easier than it used to be in the early versions.

I reflexively tend to agree with you... though it feels easier because we've had practice... nothing quite compares to navigating and doing orbital rendevous before there was maneuver nodes.

I still remember using the old trial version to land on the mun. You can land on an engine if you just set down really really really slow and straight. (No landing gear in the old trial version)

I have to restrict myself from climbing the tech tree too quickly as I am swimming in science points after all my test launches and landings, but having a lot of fun.

Me too. That's why, right away, I imposed a house rule on myself: After any mission that successfully returns science to the KSC, I can unlock one node on the tech tree. The only time I allow myself to violate this rule is if, in the heat of the moment, I go from a successful mission straight into another successful mission, forgetting to go and get myself the next tech tree node in-between.

That being said, though, I'm only 3 missions into career mode so far, and while all 3 have been successful and have returned gobs of SCIENCE! (well, not compared to some of you over-achievers who are touring the entire Jool system on Tier 1 parts!!), that's really not a lot. At all. So I reserve the right to modify or revoke this house rule at any time that I see fit, but so far it's been fun using these parts I wouldn't otherwise have even considered -- like SRBs, which while I have occasionally strapped a few on for kicks I've never really made full use of until now.

Career mode gives you a chance to play with equipment you might never bother with in sandbox. Its so easy to min-max things you really take it for granted when you have to use a 'less' efficient engine simply because that's all you have to work with at the moment. They wisely put orange tanks and mainsails at the end of the tech tree, really forcing you to get creative with other rocket engines and parts.

This sum up so perfectly why I love career mode. Well, that and having an actual in-game objective to accomplish (SCIENCE!), that is. But mostly this, the challenge of being restricted to certain parts yet still having my same lofty goals (some day I will leave the Kerbal system and visit other planets... some day...).

After a very long hiatus from the game, I've come back and have enjoyed it even more than I did before.

When I first started playing, there was just too many parts for this noob and I did get overwhelmed. Not really knowing how to build my rockets and having dozens of wobbly rockets that fell apart.

I see the stock tech trees getting a lot of bad rep but for me, I enjoy them. They help me take each step slowly and actually get me wanting to complete missions to other planets to get more science.

But.. I feel the later stages of the tech tree need to be worked on. The baby steps helped me be able to launch stuff but it seems some things just feel too out of place, so I'm going to be switching to one of the custom trees.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.