Radially Attached Experimental Data Storage Container (New download link)

Talisar

Is there any way to make somthing store more than one sample ? for example if one was to modify the .cfg of the kas Boxes, to store samples but have the smallone store less than the large ones.

and by that i mean turning them into storage containers so they can store samples themselves, not store the storage containers.

so far I haven't found a way. It seems hardcoded to 1 of each type (EVA data/Sample Data) of data.

You could always put more then one container on the craft, it will tell in the flow text if the same data is already stored.

It's to the point where I not only do this, but I arrange them in sets of two on a radial decoupler with parachute so I can make sure they make it down to kerbin intact. xD meaning I'll have four-to-eight sample containers per craft now. c.c

Sadly the .cfg edit directly in the part fries. You need to use this one; add it to the KAS "addModule.cfg" file.

/////////////// sample box /////////////

-snip-

Note: DO NOT store this again in a container. it WILL lose all data.

Aww Tassyr, you stole my thunder. Although, I changed the attachOnStatic = False to true. I figured you could place it on the ground, collect a sample then pick it back up. I was just about to test it when I saw this!

EDIT: I tested yours, Tassyr, and was unable to place it into a container. It's not showing up on the list of stowable equipment.

Edited by sharpspoonful

Aww Tassyr, you stole my thunder. Although, I changed the attachOnStatic = False to true. I figured you could place it on the ground, collect a sample then pick it back up. I was just about to test it when I saw this!

EDIT: I tested yours, Tassyr, and was unable to place it into a container. It's not showing up on the list of stowable equipment.

Odd, it works fine on my end... Lemme tinker a bit more o.O

Yeah, just tested it, works fine o.O

http://i.imgur.com/GJPMwQl.png

No idea why it'd break on your end... what other mods do you have?

Edited by Tassyr

Its in my SIG. I should probably slim down.

EDIT: I double checked it and it looks like I lost the last bracket when I copy/pasted. It's fixed.

Hey, in that case I have a question. Do you have issues moving the containers around with a kerbal on EVA in zero g? I'm working to fix a glitch where Jeb plays ballerina in space whenever he's carrying one.

Any chance of a more stock-like texture? It stands out the way it looks now.

What did you have in mind? I grabbed the color directly from stock parts, and I ended up making the door and handles stand out because it kind of got lost, being so small and grey.

It looks too clean. Squad parts have worn out edges and a certain color palette. The yellow handles and the grate like texture look the most un-Squad. You could convert the Squad textures to png with this: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mbm-to-png-file-converter/. It might give some insight in what colors they use for what, common details included in the textures, etc. It's hard too exactly pinpoint what makes some a Squad part, but I hope I've given you somewhat of a clue what to look for.

It looks too clean. Squad parts have worn out edges and a certain color palette. The yellow handles and the grate like texture look the most un-Squad. You could convert the Squad textures to png with this: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mbm-to-png-file-converter/. It might give some insight in what colors they use for what, common details included in the textures, etc. It's hard too exactly pinpoint what makes some a Squad part, but I hope I've given you somewhat of a clue what to look for.

But it matches the FusTek parts pretty well. No one ever said it was stockalike you know...

I agree. I really like the look of this part, but I try to only use stockalike mods and this would be much better if it blended in with the stock parts and didn't stand out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Sadly the .cfg edit directly in the part fries. You need to use this one; add it to the KAS "addModule.cfg" file.

/////////////// sample box /////////////

GRAB

{

stockPartName = TAL.Radial.Experiment.Storage.Container

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

physicJoint = true

storable = true

storedSize = 5

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

Note: DO NOT store this again in a container. it WILL lose all data.

If you use Module Manager (many mods already require it!), you can do this without editing cfg files for either KAS or another mod. Just create a new .cfg file and put it somewhere in your GameData directory. Then, use the built in function from KAS to add grab-ability:

@PART[TAL_Radial_Experiment_Storage_Container]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
physicJoint = true
storable = true
storedSize = 5
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

Check out my KAS Extension Mod for more goodies like this!

• 2 months later...
Ive been cheating and using this for a long while now, its a great part!

I wouldn't consider it cheating, since the lander I'm using them with has a science lab attached (Yes, somewhat inefficient, but screw it, it's working beautifully)

I'm going to see about writing a MM file to make it compatible with KAS's remove/attach system.

Edited by Jivaii

I'm going to see about writing a MM file to make it compatible with KAS's remove/attach system.

It's literally 4 posts above yours:

If you use Module Manager (many mods already require it!), you can do this without editing cfg files for either KAS or another mod. Just create a new .cfg file and put it somewhere in your GameData directory. Then, use the built in function from KAS to add grab-ability:

@PART[TAL_Radial_Experiment_Storage_Container]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
physicJoint = true
storable = true
storedSize = 5
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False