[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Hi Ethernet,

Firstly congrats on the mod it makes science so much more fun and interesting to collect! I seem to be having an issue tho with my station, I'm attempting to complete 4x creature comfort experiments, (I have previously completed 2 or so before) the Eureka Resource is acting normal (Will continue to be produced while away time-warping) but the bioproducts will not produce if I do not have my station active? I'm sure I've done this before with them producing normally if I'm not focused. When I am focused they do produce so its not seemingly an issue with production. I've got 1x Zooology bay, 2x Science Labs, 1x Lrg Kibble storage, plenty of power etc. the experiments are docked onto one of the science bays via a Senior docking port if that helps?

Any ideas?

ps, I've tried warping from a nearby probe and still nothing when I'm not focused on the station

@ Ethernet,

Yupp Kibbal was still being consumed while I wasn't focused, passive science to be honest I never checked.

Hmm I seem to have solved the issue at least, so I noticed that if I time accelerated while focused on another ship at x1,000 it worked perfectly, it was only when I was accelerating at x10,000 that it didn't seem to do anything. I think that maybe KSP couldn't keep up with the calculations? Considering that the station was only orbiting at 75km from Kerbin this would seem resonable. Now that I've moved it out to the Mun and accelerate at 10k works as per normal. Man fantastic mod I'm really loving it, built up a massive 300+ tonne station with all the trimmings, 2x Sci Bay, 1x Zooology, 2x Cyclotrons, 16x Experiment modules (with return vessels) absolutely loving it!

Looks awesome, but still waiting for models. Plus, if fusty is doing them it would be nice if they were not just like the FusTek parts.

There cool models and all, but I don't play with them and it would kinda suck if I had to use them to play this mod (Im an avid stockalike player)

Quick question - why is a new science lab model needed? There's a perfectly good (in fact I'd say damn fine) but nonfunctional science module in the existing Fustek (or in the expansion). Why not just pop the station science modules into that one? And with a slight retexture do the same thing for the zoology lab. I did a quick edit of the science lab config and it worked fine for me. Looking forward to spiffy models for the high tech parts tho...

Edited by EatVacuum

I presume I can have multiple Science stations all functioning at the same time:

one in low (less than 250km kerbin orbit

one in High (greater than 250km kerbin orbit)

one in Mun orbit..

one in Minmus orbit.. etc....?

Or do all the experiments run off the same pool of Science earned for the diminishing returns? (Should I just do the experiments on the Furthest out station I can build, and ignore all the rest?

As long as I keep shipping up and back to Kerbin the Experiment moduels.. I am fine? or am I wasting my time with all of them?

Edited by Fyrem

ETA on those custom models?

Unfortunately, it seems fusty is not going to be providing models. I'm working on doing them myself, but I'd never done any modeling before this, so it'll take some time.

I'm not planning to do another release until 0.23 releases. They're changing the science system enough that I don't want to do major work until I know more.

Quick question - why is a new science lab model needed? There's a perfectly good (in fact I'd say damn fine) but nonfunctional science module in the existing Fustek (or in the expansion). Why not just pop the station science modules into that one? And with a slight retexture do the same thing for the zoology lab. I did a quick edit of the science lab config and it worked fine for me. Looking forward to spiffy models for the high tech parts tho...

The main problem I have with using the FusTek parts, ignoring permisssion issues, is where they place the airlock. It's more realistic, but complicated, and relies on a bunch of parts. My primary concern is gameplay and playability, not realism.

Now that I'm doing the parts myself, I'd like to have my own "look" to my mod. I'm still trying for "stock-ish", though, but there's a pretty wide variety of styles to stock parts as it is.

I presume I can have multiple Science stations all functioning at the same time:

one in low (less than 250km kerbin orbit

one in High (greater than 250km kerbin orbit)

one in Mun orbit..

one in Minmus orbit.. etc....?

Or do all the experiments run off the same pool of Science earned for the diminishing returns? (Should I just do the experiments on the Furthest out station I can build, and ignore all the rest?

As long as I keep shipping up and back to Kerbin the Experiment moduels.. I am fine? or am I wasting my time with all of them?

Yes, each location has its own pool of Science to earn, just like stock science instruments. The experiments ultimately work like the stock science parts, just with extra checks before they can be performed.

Ethernet, I think I may be of use here. Try looking up Ukd_lethal_dose and his Large Structural Components mod. He has recently returned and has started a project, something about factories, but still has a download link for his old 0.20 mod.

The mod has some really well modelled and awesome lookin station parts and Im sure if you asked nicely he would let you use some of this mod.

So I've been playing around with using alternative models for some of the parts, and put together something I quite like. A new look for the experiment pods, and a new way to swap them out:

EzPP4g3.jpg

Download

Place a KAS Container Bay on your ship, then attach an experiment in the bay. During an EVA, right click on a module to grab it, then right click on a nearby bay to store it.

My contribution is just .cfg files. You'll need AIES for the models (or at least the Science and Antenna ones, placed in the AIES folder), and KAS for the plugin and bay part. I put together the .cfg files using a stock part as a template, so nothing is being redistributed from those mods, but they really deserve all the credit for their awesome work.

Isn't this mod a tad bit OP due to the MASSIVE amounts of science one can get?

Not really, as the parts are pretty late in the tree and it requires you to assemble a space station in order to make them work.

Xander, those models are pretty awesome, but they kinda clash with the stock stuff. Plus it might be nice If you avoid making the mod dependant on more mods.

I have to admit though, they are cool.

Not really, as the parts are pretty late in the tree and it requires you to assemble a space station in order to make them work.

This...so much. I've spent over a week going over how to build a station (That's capable of being moved later on) to do all the science stuffs. The hard part is actually getting the experiment pods to and from the station.

This...so much. I've spent over a week going over how to build a station (That's capable of being moved later on) to do all the science stuffs. The hard part is actually getting the experiment pods to and from the station.

You could try an SSTO! They work really well for station runs and this mod really increases their functionality by giving you something to run to the station.

You could try an SSTO! They work really well for station runs and this mod really increases their functionality by giving you something to run to the station.

I...haven't been able to get a successful SSTO plane yet. Right now I'm using small craft to carry 5 at a time up to research before dropping them for recovery. I'm working on getting a plane atm, but I can't get it off the bloody runway. I might need to get more of my tech tree researched. Still need to get a zoo bay at my station. Once I do that I can do all the research projects.

Isn't this mod a tad bit OP due to the MASSIVE amounts of science one can get?

Have you tried it out? I'm certainly open to balancing suggestions, but the general impression I've been getting is that for the amount of effort it takes to setup a station to do the experiments, the Science rewards are reasonable.

I finally finished building in LKO, a proper station, with two cyclotrons, lab, etc.. and ran a full run of experiments, and returned them to the surface.

Now that I have a experiment delivery and return system, I (GENTLY) pushed my station up orbit to high orbit, and ran though another full set of experiments.

Finally, after a LOT of fuel deliveries, I pushed the station all the way to Minmus....

is "Near Minmus orbit" or "high Minmus" orbit the better place to run the station? which gives more SCIENCE! ?

I finally finished building in LKO, a proper station, with two cyclotrons, lab, etc.. and ran a full run of experiments, and returned them to the surface.

Now that I have a experiment delivery and return system, I (GENTLY) pushed my station up orbit to high orbit, and ran though another full set of experiments.

Finally, after a LOT of fuel deliveries, I pushed the station all the way to Minmus....

is "Near Minmus orbit" or "high Minmus" orbit the better place to run the station? which gives more SCIENCE! ?

Why ask which? Do both! :D

Also, how are the new models coming along. I remember UKD saying he would look into helping you out, but all has been silent

I've had a lot of fun building my first station, but how do I finalize my results? My first two experiments are 'filled up' with eurekas and such, but the only option when I right-click on the experiment is 'deploy.' That option doesn't seem to do anything since I still get the error about not finalizing when I undock/decouple.

I've had a lot of fun building my first station, but how do I finalize my results? My first two experiments are 'filled up' with eurekas and such, but the only option when I right-click on the experiment is 'deploy.' That option doesn't seem to do anything since I still get the error about not finalizing when I undock/decouple.

It should say "Finalize Results", not "Deploy". So something's wrong. If the StationScience/Resources/Experiments.cfg file is missing or incorrect, I've seen that happen. Try deleting the StationScience directory and re-extracting it. If that doesn't fix it, please send me your persistence file and I'll see if I can find what's wrong.

I'm working on an update for tonight or tomorrow. As far as I can tell, though, the existing release still works with 0.23. Only problem I've found (and am now trying to solve) is that rounding errors seem to be preventing Eurekas from accumulating while playing at real-time (outside of Time Warp).

0.23 changed Science a lot less than I expected. The Science Lab (which ended up being the Processing Lab) turns out to not have any real overlap with my mod, so things won't be changing all that much. I'll be releasing models for the experiment pods, but the rest are still in-progress. Biggest new feature will be a "prototype" docking port that can't transfer fuel that I'll place early in the tree, so I can place my other parts earlier in the tree where they'll be more useful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.