[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

As soon as I open the Clamp-O-Tron Shielded docking port in orbit the part explodes. Kerbal engineer seems to show the skin temp dropping to 1 with no actual overheating.

Edit: This is with the updated CFG provided earlier to fix NRE's.

Edited by Trolllception

Or not. An error in one place can stop code from executing that would have normally executed after the module that threw the exception. FixedUpdate() runs on everything that implements that method in its code. (for all MonoBehaviour objects that is)

The science transmission code likely is found in FixedUpdate and probably got interrupted.

Dropbox is a good place to put them. Create an account at dropbox.com and (this part is optional but advisable) download the client for your computer and install it. A Dropbox folder will be created on your computer that syncs with your Dropbox account. Anything you drop in that folder will be copied to your Dropbox and any other computers that sync with it. Right click the file and click share and it will copy a link to your clipboard which you can then paste here. Very useful for sharing med-largish files whether they be logs or mod files. I use it all the time to share configs that I create for people. I've also hosted very small mods on it.

To further test out the G force issue, try downloading this and copying it into your DeadlyReentry folder.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/Dev/DeadlyReentry/DefaultSettings.cfg

Then edit it and change crewGMin to 0

If all goes according to plan, your Kerbals will know pain, they will know fear and then they will die.

(Don't forget to change crewGMin back to 5 when you're done testing!!!)

Edit: BTW, even on the default setting, dropping them from straight up 150km or so is a good way to trigger the warning. (in KSP 1.0.4 esp with DRE, it's also a good way to incinerate the capsule so may not be a valid test of G Force damage)

Two things: One, I was just about to do that, but when I checked the logs, i realised that playing the game reset the logs, so now I have nothing. Sorry :(

two: That's exactly what I did used the kct simulation to get a capsule and booster to a 150 orbit, then boosted straight retrograde so that I was pretty much falling straight down. with PR, there was no warning, even after the capsule was flung from the booster at great speeds. Without it, I got the warning, even though there were less G's than the PR test.

EDIT: Also, how do I download that link?

Edited by xXIndestructibleEVAXx

As soon as I open the Clamp-O-Tron Shielded docking port in orbit the part explodes. Kerbal engineer seems to show the skin temp dropping to 1 with no actual overheating.

Edit: This is with the updated CFG provided earlier to fix NRE's.

Have you tried Claw's new Stock Bug Fix OverheatFix Module for the stock heating bug? Remember that DR currently uses a modified configuration for the stock heating system, so the explosion you are having may come from the known stock heating bug.

Have you tried Claw's new Stock Bug Fix OverheatFix Module for the stock heating bug? Remember that DR currently uses a modified configuration for the stock heating system, so the explosion you are having may come from the known stock heating bug.

I think the explosion is coming from the updated cfg fron Starwaster. I modified the float curve so it matches the curfent production version and the exploding stops.

Two things: One, I was just about to do that, but when I checked the logs, i realised that playing the game reset the logs, so now I have nothing. Sorry :(

two: That's exactly what I did used the kct simulation to get a capsule and booster to a 150 orbit, then boosted straight retrograde so that I was pretty much falling straight down. with PR, there was no warning, even after the capsule was flung from the booster at great speeds. Without it, I got the warning, even though there were less G's than the PR test.

EDIT: Also, how do I download that link?

Right click and 'download as'

I think the explosion is coming from the updated cfg fron Starwaster. I modified the float curve so it matches the curfent production version and the exploding stops.

Oh oh.... that means that I applied an earlier fix to the master branch and then applied this fix to the Dev branch. The problem would sort itself out next time I merge branches. (or else warn me that there are conflicts and make me fix them manually...)

I'll go fix it manually right now.

Starwaster, I tried adding it and changing Gmin to 0, and then did the test, but nothing, not even a warning. And this is without PR.

Hmmm. Might be that the settings config isn't loading in. Either that or setting Gmin to 0 doesn't have the effect I thought it would.

No matter, I'll check that out later. In the meantime, I need those logs and cache files.

I downloaded the dev version which appears to have the Abalator amount fix? but the NullReferenceExceptions are back in full force possibly more than before.

What did you download exactly and what ablator amount fix are you talking about? And are you sure the nullref source is the same as before?

Hmmm. Might be that the settings config isn't loading in. Either that or setting Gmin to 0 doesn't have the effect I thought it would.

No matter, I'll check that out later. In the meantime, I need those logs and cache files.

Star waster, I'm sorry, I played the game afterwards and it reset the logs. :( I didn't realize it would do that. Sorry!

Star waster, I'm sorry, I played the game afterwards and it reset the logs. :( I didn't realize it would do that. Sorry!

Logs are always for the most recent gaming session and are always generated unless explicitly disabled. (so, when someone tells you there are no logs because the game didn't crash... now you know)

Starwaster! I just did a test with the Amazing Kerbal Killing G Machine (patent pending). It's basicly a Mk. 1 pod attached to Mammoth engine cluster with infinite fuel on. It pulls a steady 25.5 G's, and can excelerate to 76 km/s before overheating. I tried it with and without PR, and the kerbal was squished each time! Soooo... sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase, 'cuase it was just user error. :P

Starwaster! I just did a test with the Amazing Kerbal Killing G Machine (patent pending). It's basicly a Mk. 1 pod attached to Mammoth engine cluster with infinite fuel on. It pulls a steady 25.5 G's, and can excelerate to 76 km/s before overheating. I tried it with and without PR, and the kerbal was squished each time! Soooo... sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase, 'cuase it was just user error. :P

Ahhh, ok. Solution to the problem is simple then! Just replace the user and you'll be set ;)

What did you download exactly and what ablator amount fix are you talking about? And are you sure the nullref source is the same as before?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54954-1-0-4-Deadly-Reentry-v7-2-2-update-July-24-2015-%28The-Melificent-Edition%29/page467

I was referring to this fix provided by you earlier to address some of the NRE's when using USI parts. That config also appeared to fix my space station NRE's I was receiving although they came back when I used the version of the dev server. Maybe it doesn't have that fix you posted after all.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54954-1-0-4-Deadly-Reentry-v7-2-2-update-July-24-2015-%28The-Melificent-Edition%29/page467

I was referring to this fix provided by you earlier to address some of the NRE's when using USI parts. That config also appeared to fix my space station NRE's I was receiving although they came back when I used the version of the dev server. Maybe it doesn't have that fix you posted after all.

The link I posted (and which is on the page you linked to) is for a file that is from the Dev branch of DRE. Look at the part I bold faced. That's the part I'm not understanding because it implies that you downloaded something different from what I posted earlier.

The link I posted (and which is on the page you linked to) is for a file that is from the Dev branch of DRE. Look at the part I bold faced. That's the part I'm not understanding because it implies that you downloaded something different from what I posted earlier.

Ah yes I had downloaded the fix which you posted directly but that fix had the issue with the docking port. Then you stated you had to check your changes because it meant you had merged the wrong changes to master. At this point I assumed the dev repo had an the updated version with both the fix and non exploding docking ports. The dev version did not have exploding docking ports but the NRE's started occuring again as opposed to the file you linked directly. Hope this makes sense.

I'm playing KSP1.0.4 with RO/RSS/RP-0 and all their required mods, plus most of their suggested mods (plus the FASA mod). I've recently launched a Mercury Atlas which I've had orbiting for a few hours. I'm now bringing it home but I keep running into an issue that I think is DRE related. During reentry, my "Skin Temp" slowing increases to a peak of 1594.9 at right around 62km doing about 7km/s, falling at -238m/s and suffering 2.1375g. Normally this should be an acceptable reentry, and everything seems to be going fine at this point. Skin temp has started to drop. Orbital speed is falling at an acceptable rate. G forces are climbing a bit more then you'd normally like but not unreasonably so considering the actual Mercury capsules felt up to 11g. Everything is going fine until I reach about 50.5km. Skin temp has fallen to around 1320, I've slowed down to about 5.6km/s, falling at -305m/s, with 5.1374G. Then as soon as I hit the 50.5km mark, skin temp suddenly pops up to 1975 and within a second climbs beyond the explosion point. And by "pops up", I mean literally one instance the Skin Temp reads 1320 and then next it's 1975. Somehow my craft has increased its temp by 50% instantly. I'm assuming I've hit some kind of atmospheric layer and DRE is having an issue with that transition but the end result is I can't finish my reentry. Any ideas what the issue might be and how I can either resolve them or at least work around them so I can continue to play?

What are the ideal setting when using this with RSS? I have tried to turn down "Aero Heating Production", but ablator still just gets stripped away even with conservative reentry angles and altitudes.

Shanks.

Make sure that you have DRE 7.2.2 installed. If you do have it but didn't do a clean reinstall then delete the DeadlyReentry folder and then install 7.2.2

(in that version I included a fallback config that made shields RSS survivable in the absence of Realism Overhaul, which has RSS compatible shields)

I'm playing KSP1.0.4 with RO/RSS/RP-0 and all their required mods, plus most of their suggested mods (plus the FASA mod). I've recently launched a Mercury Atlas which I've had orbiting for a few hours. I'm now bringing it home but I keep running into an issue that I think is DRE related. During reentry, my "Skin Temp" slowing increases to a peak of 1594.9 at right around 62km doing about 7km/s, falling at -238m/s and suffering 2.1375g. Normally this should be an acceptable reentry, and everything seems to be going fine at this point. Skin temp has started to drop. Orbital speed is falling at an acceptable rate. G forces are climbing a bit more then you'd normally like but not unreasonably so considering the actual Mercury capsules felt up to 11g. Everything is going fine until I reach about 50.5km. Skin temp has fallen to around 1320, I've slowed down to about 5.6km/s, falling at -305m/s, with 5.1374G. Then as soon as I hit the 50.5km mark, skin temp suddenly pops up to 1975 and within a second climbs beyond the explosion point. And by "pops up", I mean literally one instance the Skin Temp reads 1320 and then next it's 1975. Somehow my craft has increased its temp by 50% instantly. I'm assuming I've hit some kind of atmospheric layer and DRE is having an issue with that transition but the end result is I can't finish my reentry. Any ideas what the issue might be and how I can either resolve them or at least work around them so I can continue to play?

I'm not really sure what's happening to you. It's possible that RSS some flawed data in its atmospheric pressure curve or its temperature curve data. Make sure you have the latest version of RSS.

Also, please include your output_log.txt file (or player.log if Linux/Mac) and ModuleManager.ConfigCache file. (the latter is in your GameData folder and might actually be more useful in this case than the logs because it would contain the pressure curve data that RSS is using. The log on the other hand contains version information about all your mods so that's useful too)

Make sure that you have DRE 7.2.2 installed. If you do have it but didn't do a clean reinstall then delete the DeadlyReentry folder and then install 7.2.2

(in that version I included a fallback config that made shields RSS survivable in the absence of Realism Overhaul, which has RSS compatible shields)

I'm not really sure what's happening to you. It's possible that RSS some flawed data in its atmospheric pressure curve or its temperature curve data. Make sure you have the latest version of RSS.

Also, please include your output_log.txt file (or player.log if Linux/Mac) and ModuleManager.ConfigCache file. (the latter is in your GameData folder and might actually be more useful in this case than the logs because it would contain the pressure curve data that RSS is using. The log on the other hand contains version information about all your mods so that's useful too)

As far as I can tell, I'm using the latest version of RSS and all the other mods I have installed.

My ModuleManager.ConfigCache can be found https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6of7rkcs56lolt/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0

My output_log.txt can be found https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqvrobdwzdw17cj/output_log.txt?dl=0

So that I can continue to play, I had to cheat and use the "ignore Max Temperature" option but I do have a savegame file with this capsule preparing for reentry so if you can find the problem, I can make corrections and retest.

I'll take a look and get back to you tonight. Out of curiosity, using the cheat, what did the temps peak at?

From space, skin temp slowly climbs till it reaches around 1595 at just under 62km. Then skin temp slowly falls until it reaches around 1330 at just over 50.5km. Then it jumps immediately back up to 1950 at 50.5km where it climbs up to just under 2540 at 45.6km. After there skin temp falls again and doesn't ever seem to spike again. If you pull out that phantom +600 temp, it looks as though skin temp would never increase above 1940 even when you're passing through the thicker atmosphere. I did fly 6 other identical flights (used the exact same craft file) without a single problem but I've apparently updated or changed something between flights 6 and 7 (flight 7 being the one I'm doing now). I just don't know what.

I suppose I should point out that in the first 6 flights I had either Jeb or Valentina flying the Mercury pod. But on flight 7 I have Bob in the pod which means I'm not able to use SAS but I'm manually keeping the pod pointed retrograde during the entire decent.

From space, skin temp slowly climbs till it reaches around 1595 at just under 62km. Then skin temp slowly falls until it reaches around 1330 at just over 50.5km. Then it jumps immediately back up to 1950 at 50.5km where it climbs up to just under 2540 at 45.6km. After there skin temp falls again and doesn't ever seem to spike again. If you pull out that phantom +600 temp, it looks as though skin temp would never increase above 1940 even when you're passing through the thicker atmosphere. I did fly 6 other identical flights (used the exact same craft file) without a single problem but I've apparently updated or changed something between flights 6 and 7 (flight 7 being the one I'm doing now). I just don't know what.

I suppose I should point out that in the first 6 flights I had either Jeb or Valentina flying the Mercury pod. But on flight 7 I have Bob in the pod which means I'm not able to use SAS but I'm manually keeping the pod pointed retrograde during the entire decent.

BTW, one thing I've failed to mention thus far (though it has been in the changelogs and on the front page, etc) is that DRE no longer handles heating directly. All I'm doing at this point is tweaking conductivity and heat shields. Heating is handled by stock now. (DRE still does g-force damage though)

Ok, I just successfully made a reentry using RSS/RO and did not experience what you described. I'm still looking over your files. (and NP++ is being a female dog about it right now...)

Edit:

The only thing that *might* make a difference is FAR. The version I used is different from yours. AFAIK I have the latest official so I'm guessing you have a dev version. (0.15.5 vs 0.15.3)

But I'm just not seeing that as a factor. I don't think FAR is really doing anything with that affects heat except that how it calculates area is/has been different. But that's not going to spike the temperature.

Edited by Starwaster