[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

It seems it's some sort of weird interaction between Ven's Stock Parts Revamp and Deadly Reentry. I was removing all the mods one by one from my list and I hit up DR first which removed the problem, so I incorrectly assumed it might be the cause. Thanks for clearing it.

Ven's revamp has compatibility issues with a lot of things. (which is odd considering that compatibility with the things it replaces was one of its early selling points)

Guys, can you help? I've got this spamming in the logs, not always but sometimes. Once it was wi

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleHeatShield.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Mod DLLs found:
Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0
ModuleManager.2.6.6 v2.6.6.0
ActiveTextureManagement v1.0.0.0
LibSquishPort v1.0.0.0
NvidiaTextureTools v1.0.0.0
B9_Aerospace_WingStuff v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
CritterCrawler v0.0.0.0
BDAnimationModules v0.0.0.0
BahaTurret v0.0.0.0
BetterBuoyancy v1.2.0.0
BurnTogether v0.0.0.0
CollisionFX v3.2.0.0
CrossFeedEnabler v0.3.5609.39332 / v0.3.3.0
DeadlyReentry v7.2.2.0
DistantObject v1.5.5.20894
EngineLight v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
ModularFlightIntegrator v1.0.0.0 / v1.1.1.0
FerramAerospaceResearch v0.15.4.0
ferramGraph v1.3.0.0
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
Firespitter v7.1.5653.36452
G-Effects v0.2.2.0 / v0.2.2
HeatControl v0.1.0.0
MechJeb2 v2.5.1.0 / v2.5.3.0
RasterPropMonitor v0.17.0.0 / v0.19.4
MechJebRPM v0.17.0.0 / v0.19.4
KAS v0.5.1.0 / v0.5.1
KerbalJointReinforcement v3.1.2.0
HyperEdit v0.0.0.0
KIS v1.1.1.0 / v1.1.1
km_Gimbal v3.0.1.0
PersistentRotation v1.0.0.0
PlanetarySurfaceStructures v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
PlanetShine v1.0.5608.2143
KSPAPIExtensions v1.7.4.0
ProceduralFairings v0.0.0.0
RcsSounds v4.2.0.0
scatterer v1.0.5677.22791
StockClamshellFairings v1.0.0.0
KSPAPIExtensions v1.7.5.0
Scale v2.2.1.0
Scale_Editor v1.0.0.0
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
UbioWeldingLtd v2.2.0.0
VesselView v1.0.0.0
VesselViewRPM v1.0.0.0
VVDiscoDisplay v1.0.0.0
VVPartSelector v1.0.0.0
EVAParachutes v0.0.0.0
FrementGUILib v1.0.0.0
VanguardTechnologies v0.7.5112.36481 / v0.7.2.0
Non-DLL mods added (:FOR[xxx]):
HotRockets
zRealPlume
RealPlume
zzRealPlume
SCANsat
TweakScale
Workshop
Mods by directory (sub directories of GameData):
AdjustableLandingGear
Airstairs
B9_Aerospace
BahaSP
BDArmory
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
FantomWorks
JSI
KAX
Kerbaltek
Klockheed_Martian_Gimbal
NearFutureSpacecraft
OPT
PlanetaryBaseInc
prune-removers
Pruners
QuizTechAero
RealPlume-Stock
Squad
VenStockRevamp
VNG

Obviously, the largest DR. Also, FAR, Ven's revamp, BDarmory and a bunch of other mods.

Some more from logs:

Error adding ModuleAeroReentry to kerbalEVA

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Error adding ModuleAeroReentry to flag

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

(...)

[Part]: PartModule indexing mismatch at KFAN, index 15.

Node 'FARPartModule' found in loaded data, but 'ModuleAeroReentry' is defined in prefab.

Looking for FARPartModule in other indices...

...FARPartModule module found at index 14.

[Part]: PartModule ModuleAeroReentry at KFAN, index 16: index exceeds module count as defined in cfg.

Looking for ModuleAeroReentry in other indices...

Edited by sashan

I'm having an issue with Deadly Reentry - my Mk.1 capsules keep running out of shielding well before slowing down sufficiently to land safely. My last attempt was from an 80km orbit to a 50km periapse, and the capsule ran out of shielding while still traveling over 2km/s. I'm also regularly getting heat warnings on leading edge objects (fins, parachutes, nose cones) during takeoff.

Like the guy who posted about a similar issue, I'm using FAR. However, I'm using the standard solar system. Regardless, some mod interaction - it seems somewhat likely that it's FAR and DRE - is cooking my spacecraft.

UPDATE: I ditched FAR, downloaded a fresh version of DRE, and the problem persists. My heat shield is regularly around 30-40% before reentry effects even start, and typically fails around 45km.

UPDATE 2: I'm getting reentry effects at suborbital velocity (about 1600 m/s) at an altitude of 65km. I'm genuinely not sure what the issue is - my heat settings appear to be default.

Edited by Spenzor

I'm having an issue with Deadly Reentry - my Mk.1 capsules keep running out of shielding well before slowing down sufficiently to land safely. My last attempt was from an 80km orbit to a 50km periapse, and the capsule ran out of shielding while still traveling over 2km/s. I'm also regularly getting heat warnings on leading edge objects (fins, parachutes, nose cones) during takeoff.

Like the guy who posted about a similar issue, I'm using FAR. However, I'm using the standard solar system. Regardless, some mod interaction - it seems somewhat likely that it's FAR and DRE - is cooking my spacecraft.

UPDATE: I ditched FAR, downloaded a fresh version of DRE, and the problem persists. My heat shield is regularly around 30-40% before reentry effects even start, and typically fails around 45km.

UPDATE 2: I'm getting reentry effects at suborbital velocity (about 1600 m/s) at an altitude of 65km. I'm genuinely not sure what the issue is - my heat settings appear to be default.

In olden times, the shallow reentry was good. Now, it is not good.

A shallow reentry has a lower peak heat, but it adds heat to your vessel for much longer.

A steep reentry (15-20km periapsis or lower) has a higher peak heat, but the heating is much shorter.

Basically, you want to be as steep as you can get without A) squashing your Kerbals from the G-forces of the deceleration, or B) hitting the ground before decelerating enough to deploy parachutes(though I think you'd need quite a bit of initial velocity to achieve this).

Also, you can get hot enough to cook your ablative material (and eventually your ship) by making your gravity turn too aggressive during ascent. I know this because I have done it.

Okay, here it is. 97 megs tho, there was some serious spamming. https://www.dropbox.com/s/31bbaugbhx3bf7i/output_log.txt?dl=0

An improperly configured shield could do that. (no ablative material assigned to ModuleHeatShield would do it.)

Does this happen with all shields or only certain shields?

And which shield is it happening with? (not likely to be any of the ones that DRE ships with; they all have proper material assigned)

If it's a third party shield you'll need to talk to the modder responsible for it.

@Spenzor, Gryphon is right, you should make your reentry steeper. You're cooking off too much of your shield before you can get low enough to do any serious braking.

In olden times, the shallow reentry was good. Now, it is not good.

A shallow reentry has a lower peak heat, but it adds heat to your vessel for much longer.

A steep reentry (15-20km periapsis or lower) has a higher peak heat, but the heating is much shorter.

Basically, you want to be as steep as you can get without A) squashing your Kerbals from the G-forces of the deceleration, or B) hitting the ground before decelerating enough to deploy parachutes(though I think you'd need quite a bit of initial velocity to achieve this).

Also, you can get hot enough to cook your ablative material (and eventually your ship) by making your gravity turn too aggressive during ascent. I know this because I have done it.

I was trying a gentler approach in the hope that it would help - I have not been able to get a survivable reentry on any trajectory. My current best attempt at reentry from orbit was with a periapse of 10km - I ran out of ablative material around 45km at a speed of 2150 m/s.

I'm beginning to think some mod interaction has broken the heat system - engines are regularly overheat in the upper atmosphere at 50% throttle, but are fine below ~30km and in space.

It happens even witout shields, on my Mun base which obviously has no heatshields, on some airplanes, etc. So far it seems random.

What other parts besides wings and fuselages have heatshields added? Maybe one of them causes it?

I am a little bit tired of spaceflight right now, after a few years of doing it in KSP (with DR installed), so I am enjoying FAR and airplanes right now. Exactly the thing aeronautical engineer would do. :P So, the main reason I've installed DR now is to fix stock random overheat bug, which literally plaqued me all the time, almost on every vessel.

It happens even witout shields, on my Mun base which obviously has no heatshields, on some airplanes, etc. So far it seems random.

What other parts besides wings and fuselages have heatshields added? Maybe one of them causes it?

I am a little bit tired of spaceflight right now, after a few years of doing it in KSP (with DR installed), so I am enjoying FAR and airplanes right now. Exactly the thing aeronautical engineer would do. :P So, the main reason I've installed DR now is to fix stock random overheat bug, which literally plaqued me all the time, almost on every vessel.

The only error I've been investigating is the one you reported:

[COLOR=#333333][I]NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object[/I][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333][I]at DeadlyReentry.ModuleHeatShield.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 [/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][I](Filename: Line: -1)
[/I][/COLOR]

You can't get that error if you don't have a ModuleHeatShield PartModule on the part. If you get that error then something on your vessel or a nearby loaded vessel has a heat shield; the sole criteria for which is that it has ModuleHeatShield on it. (or ModuleAblator which is the stock version that MHS derives from)

No stock spaceplane parts have heat shields added, not by stock and not by Deadly Reentry. (they rely on their thermal properties properly being set for a typical spaceplane reentry profile)

So I stand by what I said before: What you're seeing is probably the result of a shield that has not had a resource applied to it and I have no idea which one that could be. All of the shields that DRE comes with or administers are properly configured so it's not one of them.

So which parts are you using when this happens?

Just experienced a problem with the latest version: shortly (<1 sec) after detaching fairings, octagonal struts on my ship (part of structure) explode "due to overheating". Payload is fully enclosed in fairings, no overheating issues during ascend. Tried with both stock and procedural fairings - same result. Does not matter if I eject fairings in high atmosphere or some time later in vacuum (LKO). No clues/errors in the output log.

I have FAR and a bunch of other mods, but nothing that changes stock parts' parameters.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: replaced two octagonal struts with one "modular girder segment" - no explosions this time. Seems like there is still an issue with small-mass (but not physics-less) parts, and/or redistribution of heat accumulated by fairings by the time of ejection (should be ejected with fairings, not re-allocated; only some should remain in fairing base).

Edit2: might be a numerical precision error, where parts with insignificant mass (in this case 1kg compared to more 10t+ of the vessel) get undue share of thermal energy... Still, something to look at in the code (unless it's a stock bug... since, as you said, you are only altering stock part/thermal parameters, this might be it).

Edit3: Increased mass of stock struts (cubic and octagonal) to 10 kg - will report if it helps to resolve the problem when I get a chance to launch this again (perhaps this evening).

Edited by Tau137

Tau that's a nasty stock bug that's been going around like the plague. To fix it you have to lower thermal conductivity to 1 from 20 under physics settings.

However its strange that shouldn't happen with DRE afaik because it already lowers it to 3. I have both DRE and Real Heat installed at the moment just to counter that bug.

It was a real show stopper for me.

Tau that's a nasty stock bug that's been going around like the plague. To fix it you have to lower thermal conductivity to 1 from 20 under physics settings.

However its strange that shouldn't happen with DRE afaik because it already lowers it to 3. I have both DRE and Real Heat installed at the moment just to counter that bug.

It was a real show stopper for me.

Thank you for clarification. Also, could you provide a link to Real Heat - I heard about it long time ago but still cannot find it here (except the old 0.9 version)?

This is the one you want.

However I myself am a little unsure as to what exactly RH does for stock Kerbol. Like I said I put RH on top of DRE specifically to nullify that overheat bug. Upon which has been successful. The bug is no longer present. ( watch I'll play tonight and everything will explode ).

Because if I read correctly in the RH thread. RH is meant for RSS. And I've yet to get around to reentering anything in my current play through. So chances are installing real heat may render deadly reentry not so deadly. But at the moment I'd rather accept that then work around a crippling, infuriating bug.

Is there version for RSS? I think heating is wee bit too high - heatshield starts ablating above 110 km.... while reentry effects irl starts at 80 or so kilometers

I have FAR and Real Heat installed too.

Edited by raxo2222

So I stand by what I said before: What you're seeing is probably the result of a shield that has not had a resource applied to it and I have no idea which one that could be. All of the shields that DRE comes with or administers are properly configured so it's not one of them.

...unless DRE is unable to apply its settings to a shield, right? May be this helps: I've recently noticed that my vessel had stopped generating aeroFX while aerobraking at Pe around 60 km. It slowed down, received heat as in previous loops but with no aeroFX. Was about to report that but then I found the reason: I've updated ModuleManager to v2.6.7 not having its caches cleared. May be sashan's issue has been caused by a similar reason?

Edited by Ser

Is there version for RSS? I think heating is wee bit too high - heatshield starts ablating above 110 km.... while reentry effects irl starts at 80 or so kilometers

I have FAR and Real Heat installed too.

No that sounds about right. Does it last you enough to get down?

...unless DRE is unable to apply its settings to a shield, right? May be this helps: I've recently noticed that my vessel had stopped generating aeroFX while aerobraking at Pe around 60 km. It slowed down, received heat as in previous loops but with no aeroFX. Was about to report that but then I found the reason: I've updated ModuleManager to v2.6.7 not having its caches cleared. May be sashan's issue has been caused by a similar reason?

I'm not sure what that first part means. Unless you're talking about ModuleManager patches not being applied, but it makes more sense that the configuration is missing something to begin with.

Forgive me if I'm being absolutely stupid, but how do you attach the heat shields provided by Deadly Reentry? The only way my game seems to accept that they're actually a part of the craft is if the shield is upside down.

You either have an outdated version of Deadly Reentry where parts had bad part node orientations or you need to keep trying. With very thin parts like heat shields attaching can be tricky. Sometimes it'll even seem like they snapped together but the part is red. Move the cursor very slowly down and the part turns green. (unless you really do have an older version...)

You either have an outdated version of Deadly Reentry where parts had bad part node orientations or you need to keep trying. With very thin parts like heat shields attaching can be tricky. Sometimes it'll even seem like they snapped together but the part is red. Move the cursor very slowly down and the part turns green. (unless you really do have an older version...)

Also, your orientation to the parts makes a difference. You might want to be a little above or below the desired connection point. This behavior can happen with any thin part.

After scrolling through this many posts, I just still cannot figure out what settings I should apply in RSS to get those shields not to explode...

Any already tested settings?

I think people use RealHeat for RSS :D

I had a peculiar "problem" yesterday. I noticed a few pages back that an aggressive gravity turn can blow you up on ascent. However, yesterday I had a quite inefficient one, basically going up until I depleted my first stage, then going mostly sideways with my second stage. My apoapsis after the first stage was around 60 km, rising a bit as I burned. Then, when I got close to orbital velocity, I started getting atmosphere heating. To the point of my parachute almost exploding! Like wat! :confused: I literally could not make it into orbit from 65 km up because by the time I noticed the severity of the problem, I was already going down. I had to abort the mission to save Valentina. :( Anyone know anything I can do to make it... not awful, while keeping the difficulty of reentry intact?

(I use both FAR and DRE, as well as stock sized Kerbin.)

Un a slightly unrelated note, Jeb died because he did the exact same mission wonderfully, but on the way down the heat shield crashed into the pod when I released it and he died! :mad: Not an issue, per se, I just wanted to rage. :D