[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I am still having trouble with the reentry. I have FAR and my BC is less than 600 kg/m2. I reenter at about 2.3km/sec with an 80km apoaps and a 30km periaps. When I get less than 30km the overheat bar usually starts to creep up soon after but all of a sudden the heat shield explodes followed by everything else. I can't seem to get it to work. Can some one tell me if I am doing something wrong or if there is something else wrong.

How about instead of thinking of everything as needing Reentry cones, protective reentry covers, and reentry safe parachutes, ya get to making parts that can survive reentry at a specific angle, like the shuttles Nasa has launched did. I say this because it jsut looks like you want to add in actual reentry worries, but don't give a care to make it realistic. You just want it there.

~Truth~

Who are you talking too?

Moreover...directional heat shields are already supported by the mod.

Lastly..."Truth"? What? Saying it doesn't make it so. And I'm confused. Are you trying to make a point?

Don't feed the troll. Ignore it and it will go away and growl at someone else.

They take account for the heat shield when attaching, so pods don't seem "spaced-out" from the next stack part by the heat-shields. Makes for a seamless craft.

I have a question - I am using stock KSP(not RSS), and absolutely stock latest version of DRE (I haven't edited absolutely anything in the cfgs).

I can't seem to heat up my shields? I wonder if there is some bug, or I just haven't installed the mod properly, or I haven't modified the cfgs as I should?

Case 1: I reentered from 200km Kerbin orbit with around 5km periapsis. At the time of atmosphere reentry the craft was just the 2m stock pod + appropriate heat shield.

The shield was correctly oriented towards the retrograde indicator. During the whole reentry it didn't go above -17 degrees. This, of course, is realistically impossible. Unfortunately I failed to take notice if the Ablative shielding was getting consumed(probably not, since the temp didn't rise above -10 degrees).

Case 2: I deorbited an old life support ship with some squishy parts on it. Same descent pattern as case 1, just the ship was a lot more complex and ended with a Skipper stock engine, which was aimed at the retrograde indicator. None of the parts of the ship surpassed 20 degrees, even the Skipper engine managed to only get to about 5-6 degrees above 0.

Do I need to edit the cfg files to make DRE work normally with stock KSP? I noticed some multiplier values being discussed in the past days, but I always thought the default DRE is tweaked to work with stock KSP out of the box AND to provide realistic craft destruction/temperature curves for reentry and that all user-end tweaks are done for RSS, since it needs larger multipliers.

Do I need to edit the cfg files to make DRE work normally with stock KSP? I noticed some multiplier values being discussed in the past days, but I always thought the default DRE is tweaked to work with stock KSP out of the box AND to provide realistic craft destruction/temperature curves for reentry and that all user-end tweaks are done for RSS, since it needs larger multipliers.

This is all explicitly explained in the first post. It's a bad idea in general to mistake assumptions for facts.

This is all explicitly explained in the first post. It's a bad idea in general to mistake assumptions for facts.

True, and I have read it multiple times. However without touching anything I am having a hard time making anything burn up, with or without shields, as explained in the previous post. This is why I am asking. No need for cheesy borderline troll comments.

How about instead of thinking of everything as needing Reentry cones, protective reentry covers, and reentry safe parachutes, ya get to making parts that can survive reentry at a specific angle, like the shuttles Nasa has launched did. I say this because it jsut looks like you want to add in actual reentry worries, but don't give a care to make it realistic. You just want it there.

~Truth~

What exactly is the problem? I and others have been using this mod for a long time doing "realistic" reentries. I also set the "deadliness" higher than the default in order to make it challenging. This mod already supports doing reentries at a specific angle like Nasa does. But you may have to tweak config files to set things up just the way you want.

They take account for the heat shield when attaching, so pods don't seem "spaced-out" from the next stack part by the heat-shields. Makes for a seamless craft.

I have a question - I am using stock KSP(not RSS), and absolutely stock latest version of DRE (I haven't edited absolutely anything in the cfgs).

I can't seem to heat up my shields? I wonder if there is some bug, or I just haven't installed the mod properly, or I haven't modified the cfgs as I should?

Case 1: I reentered from 200km Kerbin orbit with around 5km periapsis. At the time of atmosphere reentry the craft was just the 2m stock pod + appropriate heat shield.

The shield was correctly oriented towards the retrograde indicator. During the whole reentry it didn't go above -17 degrees. This, of course, is realistically impossible. Unfortunately I failed to take notice if the Ablative shielding was getting consumed(probably not, since the temp didn't rise above -10 degrees).

Case 2: I deorbited an old life support ship with some squishy parts on it. Same descent pattern as case 1, just the ship was a lot more complex and ended with a Skipper stock engine, which was aimed at the retrograde indicator. None of the parts of the ship surpassed 20 degrees, even the Skipper engine managed to only get to about 5-6 degrees above 0.

You don't have a .cfg issue. Your mod is just not working, reinstall it.

What exactly is the problem? I and others have been using this mod for a long time doing "realistic" reentries. I also set the "deadliness" higher than the default in order to make it challenging. This mod already supports doing reentries at a specific angle like Nasa does. But you may have to tweak config files to set things up just the way you want.

I'd give up if I were you. I don't think it understands.

I love the changes from adding the realism mods. This one is great but could use some sound. Sound when aerobraking and when reentering atmo. Sound that starts quietly and builds to a crescendo. The guys who did RCS thruster sound, wheel noise, and redid the squad engine sounds might be able to help with code or sound samples.

So I've started making a procedural heatshield using the procedural parts mod and assuming all goes well, which being me and KSP i highly doubt it will, It should be done in the next few days.

Procedural heat shield you say? I WANT IT! On a side note, An Iris-ing heat shield would also be cool.

Might be a silly question but I'm new to DR: does Duna generally not need a heat shield? I used the inflatable one on my lander, then decoupled it before touching down. After liftoff and rendezvous with the command module, I deorbited it and followed it down. It actually impacted the surface without burning up, I think the hottest surface got over 500' or so and that's it. I know the atmosphere is rather thin and all, but I still expected it to heat up more than that. I'm also using DR alongside FAR if that matters.

Repeating my request for modellers, since it might have got lost in the flames:

Would anyone be willing to re-do the heat shield models so that they have (short) auto-shrouds? It'd allow us to remove the extra decouplers, and just use standard decoupler parts.

This would be especially cool for the inflatable shield.

Might be a silly question but I'm new to DR: does Duna generally not need a heat shield? I used the inflatable one on my lander, then decoupled it before touching down. After liftoff and rendezvous with the command module, I deorbited it and followed it down. It actually impacted the surface without burning up, I think the hottest surface got over 500' or so and that's it. I know the atmosphere is rather thin and all, but I still expected it to heat up more than that. I'm also using DR alongside FAR if that matters.

My Duna lander ended up with no heat shield at all, although I put nose cones on the bottom of any stacks that didn't have engines on them, just in case. The atmosphere is thin enough that at KSP-scale speeds you can get away with it. (With stock DRE settings, you can sometimes get away with it on Kerbin if you're entering from low orbit on the right trajectory).

So I'm not using the DRE plugin. Just role playing with the parts. Is it normal for the heatshields to act as balloons in atmosphere? I use FAR and I barely need a parachute my craft slows down so much before the ground.

Given that the heat shields are quite heavy, no, it's not normal.

How fast are you going without parachutes? My terminal speeds (with FAR) tend to be around 100 m/s.

So I'm not using the DRE plugin. Just role playing with the parts. Is it normal for the heatshields to act as balloons in atmosphere? I use FAR and I barely need a parachute my craft slows down so much before the ground.

Definitely not normal. Maybe try replacing the plugin and seeing if it still acts the same way? Almost sounds like FAR is grossly miscalculating the drag induced by the heatshield to be very high. Removing the plugin shouldn't cause that AFAIK though.

How fast are you going without parachutes? My terminal speeds (with FAR) tend to be around 100 m/s.

Same here. Slow enough that it feels very slow -- but fast enough that everything blows up. :D

Are RAPIER engines more prone to burn up? On reentry(probably with a wrong reentry profile), the RAPIERs were the only thing that burned up on my craft. I have no idea how it happened, they are pretty shielded and are pointing at retrograde during reentry. I don't have a screenshot, because they did not visually indicate overheating - no sound, no visual effect, no HUD notification(on the staging UI, there was no overheating bar at all).

Actually is that Overheating bar related to DRE? Does it take DRE temperature into account or some other internal temperature from the Stock KSP only?

Also, there is the strange issue - I tried switching the RAPIERs manually from Closed Cycle to Air Breathing while out of atmosphere and they just exploded???? This was for the first 2 in the following thing. It still says overheating:

[LOG 22:02:26.315] dT is NaN! tA: 3.16733417659998, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 22:02:41.177] Tac.FuelBalanceController[FFFA1DA6][337.14]: Rebuilding resource lists.
[LOG 22:02:41.190] Prandlt-Meyer Expansion Curves Initialized
[LOG 22:03:59.903] dT is NaN! tA: 3.28800155222416, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 22:03:59.960] [00:41:15]: R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine exploded due to overheating.
[LOG 22:03:59.961] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:03:59.964] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:03:59.967] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:03:59.968] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:04:00.030] 1 explosions created.
[LOG 22:04:00.047] Tac.FuelBalanceController[FFFA1DA6][376.78]: Rebuilding resource lists.
[LOG 22:04:12.273] dT is NaN! tA: 3.30267629027367, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN
[LOG 22:04:12.385] [00:41:21]: R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine exploded due to overheating.
[LOG 22:04:12.386] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:04:12.387] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:04:12.388] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:04:12.390] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:04:12.449] 1 explosions created.
[LOG 22:04:12.465] Tac.FuelBalanceController[FFFA1DA6][382.74]: Rebuilding resource lists.
[LOG 22:05:40.196] [00:42:14]: R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine exploded due to overheating.
[LOG 22:05:40.197] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:05:40.197] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:05:40.199] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:05:40.200] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:05:40.216] [Explosion] Combined.
[LOG 22:05:40.216] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:05:40.217] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:05:40.219] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:05:40.220] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:05:40.235] [Explosion] Combined.
[LOG 22:05:40.236] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:05:40.237] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:05:40.239] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:05:40.240] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:05:40.255] [Explosion] Combined.
[LOG 22:05:40.255] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:05:40.256] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:05:40.258] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:05:40.259] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:05:40.276] [Explosion] Combined.
[LOG 22:05:40.276] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:05:40.277] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:05:40.279] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:05:40.280] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:05:40.296] RAPIER Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 22:05:40.297] [RAPIER]: Deactivated
[LOG 22:05:40.299] ScienceAlert, Vessel was modified; refreshing observer caches...
[LOG 22:05:40.300] ScienceAlert, Done
[LOG 22:05:40.381] 2 explosions created.
[LOG 22:05:40.425] Tac.FuelBalanceController[FFFA1DA6][436.26]: Rebuilding resource lists.
[LOG 22:09:03.848] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

Are RAPIER engines more prone to burn up? On reentry(probably with a wrong reentry profile), the RAPIERs were the only thing that burned up on my craft. I have no idea how it happened, they are pretty shielded and are pointing at retrograde during reentry. I don't have a screenshot, because they did not visually indicate overheating - no sound, no visual effect, no HUD notification(on the staging UI, there was no overheating bar at all).

Actually is that Overheating bar related to DRE? Does it take DRE temperature into account or some other internal temperature from the Stock KSP only?

Also, there is the strange issue - I tried switching the RAPIERs manually from Closed Cycle to Air Breathing while out of atmosphere and they just exploded???? This was for the first 2 in the following thing. It still says overheating:

As I understand, stock KSP already handles the temperature of every part for the purpose of tracking engine-generated heat. DRE just adds airspeed as an additional heating source and gives you some tools to cope with it.

RAPIERs exploding as soon as you try to go air-breathing could be Interstellar's precooler code if that's installed.

It's also the symptom of the old bug where DRE didn't fully handle ModuleEnginesFX engines, but that was reported fixed in DRE 4.5.

Edited by undercoveryankee