[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

So you dragged the RealSolarSystem folder into your Gamedata folder and hit go with no other mods running and still got the problem? which rss version and type did you download? what are your system specs. etc.

Yup.

I just downloaded the original one to try it out and the first thing I saw was this issue.

Why are my specs important? I can't even run this mod without any other mods. I've been running the game on max with FAR, Engine ignitor, Distant objects, real fuels, B9, KW rocketry, real engines, Rasterprop, EVE (not anymore due to some lag), TAC etc without any problems until trying out RSS.

So uninstalled everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. And reinstalled an launched the client after every plugin installed. The only plugin that was causing ALL of my problems was EVE, it was not playing well with something. I have no clue what, possibly the planet factory planets, and now it wont load the planet factory planets but I have the launch sites. So go figure, I am officially at the f*k-it point.

I've been trying to install this for hours now. I need help. I'm trying to install Real Solar System Kerbal-Size. However, I can't get even the stock settings to work.

So, I've deleted KSP and freshly installed it. I then downloaded Real Solar System, and extracted it, along with the module manager to the GameData folder. When I do so, Norton Antivirus removes RealSolarSystem.dll for WS 1 threat. I then go and restore it, and I double check to make sure the dll file is where it was.

I open up Kerbal Space Program's launcher. That loads quickly and perfectly, and I then click play. That window closes, another opens and instantly closes. Everything goes silent. If I open up my Task Manager, I note that Kerbal Space Program is not open as an application. Instead, I look under Processes, and find KSP.exe *32. This is not only active, but it is running with 80%-100% of my CPU and 1.4-1.6 GB of my RAM. I wait for a few minutes, about the same time it would normally take KSP to load up, and then... Intro Music! However, no window loads, and the menu does not load. Instead I merely get the intro music followed by the menu music on loop, with that process still there, and still at high memory usage. I thought this was normal, so I waited 15 minutes... 52 minutes, and counting now. That menu music continues to play as I type this. I've looked across this thread as best as I can, and I don't see any similar issues.

Hodo: I really can't troubleshoot two mods that aren't RSS for you, sorry. All I can tell you is that EVE Overhaul 8 does work with RSS (Overhaul 9 does not). EVE 7.3 has serious issues with RSS, but to my knowledge does at least not prevent things from loading.

MathigNihilcehk: sounds like your antivirus is misconfigured or faulty, and is messing things up.

MathigNihilcehk: sounds like your antivirus is misconfigured or faulty, and is messing things up.

I tried turning it off, and that doesn't seem to work. I don't think that is the case, but I'll try it on a different computer than has a different anti-virus software soon. Any better ideas?

I tried turning it off, and that doesn't seem to work. I don't think that is the case, but I'll try it on a different computer than has a different anti-virus software soon. Any better ideas?

Check and see if Norton has an option for you to exclude certain files and add it to the list of excluded files.

Also, if you have KSP installed to Program Files or Program Files (x86) then create a new folder off of that drive's root and move the entire KSP folder there. i.e. k:\games\ksp_win

I'm having problems with installing this mod. I've dragged and dropped the whole folder that I get when I download it, into the "gamedata" folder. The folder I get when I download is labeled "RealSolarSystem_v6.2". I took that and placed it into the "gamedata" inside the KSP folder. I downloaded the Active Texture Management mod as well, made sure my texture quality is on medium/default or higher, and made sure i'm not going over my RAM limit, yet I still am spawning underground. And when I look at kerbal, it still has kerbal's continent configuration, not Earth's. As well as my flags i have placed, they are in between kerbal and the mun, and are not on kerbal, they are just suspended in space. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm having problems with installing this mod. I've dragged and dropped the whole folder that I get when I download it, into the "gamedata" folder. The folder I get when I download is labeled "RealSolarSystem_v6.2". I took that and placed it into the "gamedata" inside the KSP folder. I downloaded the Active Texture Management mod as well, made sure my texture quality is on medium/default or higher, and made sure i'm not going over my RAM limit, yet I still am spawning underground. And when I look at kerbal, it still has kerbal's continent configuration, not Earth's. As well as my flags i have placed, they are in between kerbal and the mun, and are not on kerbal, they are just suspended in space. Any help is much appreciated.

Look in your RealSolarSystem_v6.2 you see a folder RealSolarSystem thats the folder you need in KSP/GameData

yeah same, also mars was still to small although, weirdly slightly larger than before :?

I think the scale for a few planets might be messed up, Using eve some of the planets clouds display perfectly, but other planets are way off thousands of miles into space, mars being one of them. Some of the smaller moons with cloudlayers did the same thing. I can't be sure if it's EVE scaling improperly or the RSS config though.

What is the general consensus about how well RSS works without RO? I keep running into roadblocks in career mode because not everything is resized to the same scale, forcing me to go off and spend days trying to figure out a config that will appropriately size things to fit with the RO system. I've had enough of these recently that I'm just about fed up with the idea and thinking about just using the stock sizing system, but I'm now really sure how well it will work to cut RO out of the mix. Has anyone tried this? Does it work ok?

What is the general consensus about how well RSS works without RO? I keep running into roadblocks in career mode because not everything is resized to the same scale, forcing me to go off and spend days trying to figure out a config that will appropriately size things to fit with the RO system. I've had enough of these recently that I'm just about fed up with the idea and thinking about just using the stock sizing system, but I'm now really sure how well it will work to cut RO out of the mix. Has anyone tried this? Does it work ok?

I've done it in sandbox. I haven't played RSS in career mode very much in general though with or without RO.

Primarily I use stretchy tanks a lot. Without RO I find a shortage of engines for very large rockets so I use lots and lots of rocket motors. Stock sizes are doable for small to medium payloads.

I probably also have a lot of custom tweaks in my tweaks folder that I've forgotten about that compensate too....

I've done it in sandbox. I haven't played RSS in career mode very much in general though with or without RO.

Primarily I use stretchy tanks a lot. Without RO I find a shortage of engines for very large rockets so I use lots and lots of rocket motors. Stock sizes are doable for small to medium payloads.

I probably also have a lot of custom tweaks in my tweaks folder that I've forgotten about that compensate too....

I'd probably keep RF and pretty much everything else, it's just the resizing that RO does creates limits on the parts that are available that often frustrate me. For example, I'm trying my hand at a space plane for the first time, and only about 1/5 of the B9 parts are resized, meaning I can't use most of them if I want to conform to the RO sizing. Some people have suggested mixing parts, but that often ends up looking weird and can have odd results because of the varying masses of RO and non-RO parts. I've tried to work with it for some time now, but I'm starting to get tired of trying to figure out how to make things work for RO when it seems so much easier to just keep the stock size model and be good to go since 99% of everything is designed for stock first and then only later converted to RO if someone has enough interest or time.

Edited by SpacedInvader

As long as you have Real Fuels it works fine. That's how I play my career modes: RSS, RF, DRE and FAR. Gives it a stock feel but with much greater difficulty.

On a different note, does anyone know why I can replace every heightmap in the game with a custom one, except the heightmap for Minmus and Ike?

Already checked the spelling in my configs and those kinds of trivial things. Nothing unexpected showing up in the output log either. Is there some kind of trick I am not aware off for those 2 bodies?

I don't really mind it for Ike, but I'd really like to have a decent Minmus since I always use it as a kethane mine in my saves.

On a different note, does anyone know why I can replace every heightmap in the game with a custom one, except the heightmap for Minmus and Ike?

Already checked the spelling in my configs and those kinds of trivial things. Nothing unexpected showing up in the output log either. Is there some kind of trick I am not aware off for those 2 bodies?

I don't really mind it for Ike, but I'd really like to have a decent Minmus since I always use it as a kethane mine in my saves.

Not all of the orbital bodies have heightmaps to begin with. I haven't checked in with Nathan lately about how its coming, but he's working on a general PQS loader that will allow any mod to be applied to any body. At that point we'll have heightmaps for everything of some variety or another.

Not all of the orbital bodies have heightmaps to begin with. I haven't checked in with Nathan lately about how its coming, but he's working on a general PQS loader that will allow any mod to be applied to any body. At that point we'll have heightmaps for everything of some variety or another.

Bah, okay. I guess I'll just keep Minmus the same size as stock until that's finished. It's just really weird that I can adjust the terrain of every body except Ike and Minmus.

Guess I should share what I've been up to these past few hours:

I've made a (mostly) 10x scale system with custom heightmaps for most bodies so the surfaces get a bit more interesting to land on. Some samples:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Feel free to give it a try with this RSS setup. (version 6.2)

I stole, defiled, editted Regex's 6.4:1 config for this. Heightmaps are my own production. RSS is made by Nathan (Hope this fends off the lawyers).

Do note that this eats a LOT of memory. Running with all these heightmaps gives me 800 MB more RAM usage in game. I highly recommend either stripping out maps of planets you don't plan to visit or using the 64 bit version of KSP (That's what I'm doing). Also note that for some reason Ike and Minmus can't be assigned heightmaps. So Ike will have a boring surface and I've kept Minmus its original size and mass.

If you want to strip out a heightmap to save memory you have to remove both the .png and the .obj of that body. Then you need to go into your RSS config and remove this bit of code for the planet/moon:

PQSMod_VertexHeightMap // doubles
{
heightMapOffset = -100.0 //-2000.0
heightMapDeformity = 12000.0 //15600.0 //7000 // 5000
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/[yourplanethere].png
}

So I'm running into an issue and am having a hard time finding the source and/or how to fix it. I'm running the 10x Kerbal system. I think it might have an issue in setting or just a conflict with volumetric clouds or textures. I've seen a few people ask on the matter but no actual response on a fix or a settings change.

E395024F7F683AB39108E64C7834757C7C0DA5F8

So I'm running into an issue and am having a hard time finding the source and/or how to fix it. I'm running the 10x Kerbal system. I think it might have an issue in setting or just a conflict with volumetric clouds or textures. I've seen a few people ask on the matter but no actual response on a fix or a settings change.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/3263170445181975179/E395024F7F683AB39108E64C7834757C7C0DA5F8/

As I understand it, EVE just isn't quite compatible with RSS at this point, though it may be there in the near future.

Yay! I got this to work. Apparently, launching KSP from the shortcut or the launchpad window fails to start the program. If I go track down that exe file inside the folder and launch from there, it launches like a dream. Norton had nothing to do with it... except deleting my dll file, which I simply reverted. Now all I need to do is figure out how to run more than ten mods simultaneously while recording, while not destroying my computer. Thanks for the help all!