[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Is the Kethane grid feature known to do the same thing as EVE as shown in the photo a few posts above me? I'm getting the improperly scaled size with Kethane and EVE, Thing is, their both improperly scaled to the same size, and it's seriously starting to make me wonder if the RSS + PF config isnt scaled correctly. Mostly because charon is orbiting inside pluto, and both EVE and Kethane show the proper size of pluto inside of the actual texture of pluto.

They both screw up on the same planets, at the same incorrect sizes. How can you tell if it's scaled correctly? Does the information tabs in the map view always give correct information, or is it just pulling info from a premade text file?

I am having a bug trying to lang on the Moon, formally Mun, and Earth AKA Kerbin. It crashes me into the the surface every time even if I am going 0.01 m/s;.;;.;;.;. Any ideas I could try? It's not the RAM of my PC I still have excess amounts haha.

What is the general consensus about how well RSS works without RO? I keep running into roadblocks in career mode because not everything is resized to the same scale, forcing me to go off and spend days trying to figure out a config that will appropriately size things to fit with the RO system. I've had enough of these recently that I'm just about fed up with the idea and thinking about just using the stock sizing system, but I'm now really sure how well it will work to cut RO out of the mix. Has anyone tried this? Does it work ok?

I was trying out RSS without any other mods but Better Than Starting Manned (BTSM) and Deadly Reentry. I think it provides a much better career mode than stock. Although the configs need to be tweaked a little first. You do need to build pretty big rockets with lots of parts to get to faraway places, or use orbital docking.

I am having a bug trying to lang on the Moon, formally Mun, and Earth AKA Kerbin. It crashes me into the the surface every time even if I am going 0.01 m/s;.;;.;;.;. Any ideas I could try? It's not the RAM of my PC I still have excess amounts haha.

Do you mean the craft crashes or the computer crashes?

And it doesn't matter how much RAM you computer has, just the amount of RAM that KSP is using. KSP is a 32bit game, which means it is capped around 3.2-3.4GB of RAM use.

Pluto's Texture works fine for me. The Kethane grid is larger than it should be but that isn't limited to just Pluto. I noticed that even in the base RSS. Also, what version of EVE are you using?

Here is what Pluto/Charon look for me.

D52DAA5B36F1637CEE2C8893A597395878AFFE31

I think the scale for a few planets might be messed up, Using eve some of the planets clouds display perfectly, but other planets are way off thousands of miles into space, mars being one of them. Some of the smaller moons with cloudlayers did the same thing. I can't be sure if it's EVE scaling improperly or the RSS config though.

I'm not to sure, first time the mars planet was definately undersized, but the second it was slightly larger (maybe realistic) but clouds where still way out in space, I have a feeling it's rss not eve, though that could be completely wrong.

Pluto's Texture works fine for me. The Kethane grid is larger than it should be but that isn't limited to just Pluto. I noticed that even in the base RSS. Also, what version of EVE are you using?

Here is what Pluto/Charon look for me.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3264296345100330286/D52DAA5B36F1637CEE2C8893A597395878AFFE31/

hm, I'm using EVE 7.3, and it works for some planets. But now I'm really confused as to how in the world my pluto texture is being resized. I'll take some pictures later today when i get the chance.

Ok I took some pics.

First pic is Dres with the normal RSS config, seems fine. http://i.imgur.com/NYBLOVB.png

Second pic is dres with the RSS + PF config, as you can see pock is orbiting well within dres. http://i.imgur.com/RCy7oCc.png

third pic, if you look closely at pocks orbit line you can see kethanes grid, which looks to be sized about right http://i.imgur.com/3GCuUVy.png

Fourth pic, just a zoomed out pic showing where dres is. http://i.imgur.com/Lpc2W0i.png

Ok I took some pics.

First pic is Dres with the normal RSS config, seems fine. http://i.imgur.com/NYBLOVB.png

Second pic is dres with the RSS + PF config, as you can see pock is orbiting well within dres. http://i.imgur.com/RCy7oCc.png

third pic, if you look closely at pocks orbit line you can see kethanes grid, which looks to be sized about right http://i.imgur.com/3GCuUVy.png

Fourth pic, just a zoomed out pic showing where dres is. http://i.imgur.com/Lpc2W0i.png

Did you delete the .obj files in RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData before using the new config? Dres looks to be about the size of Saturn in the second picture which is what Dres represents in normal RSS.

EVE (both 7.3 and Overhaul) has issues with RSS. rbray is working on them. So does Kethane. Both have taken the scale of planets in scaledspace as a given, which is...unsafe...in RSS. :)

6.2 does use somewhat more ram *when loading* due to the wrapping, but that shouldn't be very much memory all told.

I am currently fixing a bug (evidence: solar panels aren't treated as behind planets, sun shines through planets) due to my forgetting to rescale the colliders as well as the meshes.

I have moved the giant "YOU MUST DELETE OBJs" text in the OP, since apparently it was being missed :P

I was trying out RSS without any other mods but Better Than Starting Manned (BTSM) and Deadly Reentry. I think it provides a much better career mode than stock. Although the configs need to be tweaked a little first. You do need to build pretty big rockets with lots of parts to get to faraway places, or use orbital docking.

I've been trying this hybrid of RO and non-RO in an attempt to get some of the stuff from RO that I like (better heat shields, an appropriate RT2 config, more realistic power generation) without the resizing and added mass that was to come along with it. Unfortunately, now I've been having the odd problem of all of my engines being *way* too powerful, to the point of them becoming hard to control near the end of their burn because the TWR is usually 10+. I didn't think the masses were altered that much in the RO configs as I didn't comment out too many @mass = lines in my editing, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this behavior. It may be a result of some changes that MedievalNerd did between 19b and 19e as this is all to do with probe cores at this point, but I'm still surprised that a two stage rocket standing only about 10m is able to easily carry enough dV to get into Earth orbit.

EDIT: These issues are with engines which have a rated thrust as low as 18, which used to just barely accelerate the vehicles instead of blasting them off like model rockets.

Edited by SpacedInvader

A little more bug hunting here... I set `warp = false` for the moon (and only the moon), to solve the "floating spheres" issue that has the moon being surrounded by semi-transparent spheres. Even with the kethane overlay turned off, the moon was looking like an indistinct sphere from a distance.

Sure enough, `warp = false` made things better, except I've now hit two follow-on issues. First is that when close to the moon, the sun will shine *through* it, and even powers solar panels.

I haven't tested to see if the sun will shine through the moon with `warp = true`.

mr6s4pM.png

The second is that because a lot of the moon is fairly high, when I do switch on the kethane overlay, a number of hexes are now below the terrain. I have no idea if that's a known issue with older RSS versions; it's only recently I've gained enough science to start surveying other worlds.

Neither of these are particularly game-breaking, and the kethane overlay isn't necessarily something RSS can do anything about, but I'd thought I'd check to see if there's an easy fix.

Thanks again for being *totally awesome*,

~ pjf

Just for the right phase angle for optimal launch windows, not including the inclination change or the right delta-v or the right epoch. For example, Kerbin to Eve launch windows are optimal when Eve is about 54 degrees behind Kerbin, so Earth to Venus launch windows are also optimal when Venus is about 54 degrees behind Earth.

Sorry for dredging this up from the depths, but it just occurred to me that Kerbal Alarm Clock includes a formula method for finding the right phase angles for interplanetary transfers, is this something that would work with this fact?

Just a heads up: On my steam install I can not move/copy the game to another folder. In the default folder it works like a charm.

When I move it to another folder kerbin randomly disapears or isn't tilted while the launch sites are. I even had it starting only displaying the sky box.

Seems there are some quirks with folders not being where the are eypected.

NathanKell: I'm still getting this weird line on the horizon, it's like a divide between PQS and scaled space or something, or maybe fade distance for PQS. I've noticed it since RSS 6.x onwards I think. It's really making the switch from PQS to SS look quite noticable especially with EVE running, but I could also sometimes notice it without EVE just on the horizon when near PQS/SS switch over altitude.

nQImLvG.gifwr96Nwi.pngMCnUuIY.jpg

It seems to follow the camera, the line always being perpendicular to the viewing angle :?

Edited by pingopete