[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I'm having trouble with SSColor and SSBump in the config file.

I have the code shown below and the matching image files in the correct location, but KSP hangs on loading every time.

The exact time it hang is what RSS is loading everything and it gets to:

Editing Body: Kerbin (4/15)

Scaled Space

Color map

SSFStart = 78000
SSFEnd = 80000
PQSfadeStart = 80000
PQSfadeEnd = 120000
PQSSecfadeStart = 80000
PQSSecfadeEnd = 120000
PQSdeactivateAltitude = 125000
SSColor = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/Kerbin64k.png
SSBump = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/Kerbin64kNRM.png

Skyler4856: well, then I'll need logs. Please see here (and yes, even if KSP doesn't produce a crash report, you have logs).

What I can do regarding MM is to do a :FOR[RSSConfig] so MM knows it exists; you can then do NEEDS[RSSConfig].

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6p60nmgx16jvy4k/Player.log?dl=0

Here you go.

Thanks for helping me!

Just wanted to let you guys know, I put together a quick MM based stock part tweak for anyone who wants to experience full scale RSS without having to use realism overhaul and all that stuff. It simply adjusts the mass of the stock engines/fuel tanks to fall in line with real life rockets. This makes RSS much easier to learn because everything is familiar, and also lowers the system requirements for running RSS by not having to stack so many other mods with it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/110455-0-90-RSS-Stock-Parts-Stock-part-tweaks-for-simpler-Real-Solar-System-play-%28v0-1%29

Let me know what you think of it over there.

Yargnit: Sounds a lot like Stockalike Real Fuels config without realfuels?

Haven't actually heard of it. This was just something I'd talked to a few friends about coming up with and decided since I figured out how to make it work of MM (before it was manually tweaked part .cfg's so i couldn't publish it because it would require sharing squad files) I may as well release it since a couple people I had mentioned it to asked me to. Real Fuels may have something that does similar, I honestly don't know. The advantage to this though is it literally requires nothing more than a .cfg file that's only a few KB in size to use since using RSS means everyone already has MM. That means it's system footprint is for all intents and purposes non-existent to use.

Paul Kingtiger: That sounds like out of memory? Can you post your log file (player.log / output_log.txt ). Also, since RSS depends on DDSLoader anyway, you might as well use DDS. :) (And then you can give a GameDatabase URL instead of a direct path; see RSSTextures.cfg in one of the RSS texturepacks for an example.)

Skyler4856: that log file does not appear to actually be a log file; it is a binary file referencing folders on a hard drive...?

Yargnit: Sounds interesting! I'd recommend a universal 1.6x scaleup, too, or reentry capsules will not be draggy enough and thus make reentry harder than it should be.

dimovski: As the OP says, that's necessary due to changes in .90. Just reselect Baikonur whenever you start your game the first time; it'll persist until you quit (and for mods that care what your active space center is, like KCT, it'll persist through saves, you just have to go to Tracking Station and click on it once each time you start KSP).

Paul Kingtiger: That sounds like out of memory? Can you post your log file (player.log / output_log.txt ). Also, since RSS depends on DDSLoader anyway, you might as well use DDS. :) (And then you can give a GameDatabase URL instead of a direct path; see RSSTextures.cfg in one of the RSS texturepacks for an example.)

Skyler4856: that log file does not appear to actually be a log file; it is a binary file referencing folders on a hard drive...?

Yargnit: Sounds interesting! I'd recommend a universal 1.6x scaleup, too, or reentry capsules will not be draggy enough and thus make reentry harder than it should be.

dimovski: As the OP says, that's necessary due to changes in .90. Just reselect Baikonur whenever you start your game the first time; it'll persist until you quit (and for mods that care what your active space center is, like KCT, it'll persist through saves, you just have to go to Tracking Station and click on it once each time you start KSP).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjpx4790wujklfq/Player.rtf?dl=0

This should work...

Paul Kingtiger: That sounds like out of memory? Can you post your log file (player.log / output_log.txt ). Also, since RSS depends on DDSLoader anyway, you might as well use DDS. :) (And then you can give a GameDatabase URL instead of a direct path; see RSSTextures.cfg in one of the RSS texturepacks for an example.).

Thanks, I'll try again with these tweaks, and if it doesn't work I'll post the logs.

Hello all, I've tried my best to search through the 500+ pages on the RSS thread and 100 or so on RO thread and haven't come across my problem. I've installed the following mods manually, and in this order:

RealSolarSystem

Advanced Jet Engine

Ferram Aerospace Research

CrossFeedEnabler

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Module Manager (2.5.10)

ModuleRCSFX

Real Fuels

Active Texture Management

Realism Overhaul

I'm using a fresh KSP .90 32bit on Windows 8.1 with OpenGL. My issue is I get hung up on the title screen when RealSolarSystem Status starts going through the editing body status. I get hung up around body 11/17; I wait about 15 to twenty minutes as suggested, however it still doesn't move. I shut down and restart KSP in 32bit mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Skyler4856: Sounds like you somehow managed to install RSS without DDSLoader. RSS comes with DDSLoader if you install manually, and if you install via CKAN it should not let you install RSS without DDSLoader already being installed.

Skyler4856: Sounds like you somehow managed to install RSS without DDSLoader. RSS comes with DDSLoader if you install manually, and if you install via CKAN it should not let you install RSS without DDSLoader already being installed.

Yeah, thanks. DDSLoader fixed the issue

I'm just encountered the same issue as Skyler4856, stuck on 15/17 (Laythe) on the first run on KSP (and because of that, i stuck on every one starting session).

Installed by CKAN, on a clean KSP 0.90 32bit, under Windows 8.1 x64. RSS textures are the DDS 8192 version.

Trying to solve method #1: Uninstall RSS in CKAN. (DDSLoader installed) Then reinstall RSS. Same effect, stuck on 11/17 this time.

Trying to solve method #2: Manually overwrite the DDSLoader files from the downloaded RSS .zip file. Note: The file dates are match. No effect, stuck on 11/17.

Trying to solve method #3: Uninstall DDSLoader (with Realismoverhaul, RSS, etc.), install DDSLoader first, then RealismOverhaul and RSS, this time i choose the non-DDS 8192 texture pack. Stuck on 5/17.

Giving up on installing RSS...

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your first post!

You are playing with windows 32bit, that means your memory limit is extremely tight. If KSP approaches 3.5GB, it will crash for sure, but for many people it does earlier. You also installed the 8k textures, those are quite memory intensive (yes, they might suffice to push you over the limit).

Try instead going with the lowest resolution first, and see what happens. If they still do not work, we will require a log from you :)

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your first post!

You are playing with windows 32bit, that means your memory limit is extremely tight. If KSP approaches 3.5GB, it will crash for sure, but for many people it does earlier. You also installed the 8k textures, those are quite memory intensive (yes, they might suffice to push you over the limit).

Try instead going with the lowest resolution first, and see what happens. If they still do not work, we will require a log from you :)

Well, yea, i play with the 32bit version, because almost everyone is suggesting to use this version (noted even the Devs abandon the x64 version at least for short term). Yea, i noticed the game reach the 3.5 GB RAM usage, but I'm not aware about the connection between the issue and the memory limit. The rig have 8 gigs of RAM, and i have a decent videocard, that's why i choose the largest texture pack.

So the solution most probably to remove some memory-consuming add-on? Checking.

Annndddd... You are right Sir! KSP running. :D

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Cifu

Well, yea, i play with the 32bit version, because almost everyone is suggesting to use this version (noted even the Devs abandon the x64 version at least for short term). Yea, i noticed the game reach the 3.5 GB RAM usage, but I'm not aware about the connection between the issue and the memory limit. The rig have 8 gigs of RAM, and i have a decent videocard, that's why i choose the largest texture pack.

So the solution most probably to remove some memory-consuming add-on? Checking.

Annndddd... You are right Sir! KSP running. :D

Thank you for your help!

My pleasure!

And they are right in doing so, because 64bit for windows is an unstable mess. There is one way out of the misery though, and that is the 64bit linux version - which is actually stable as a rock. Buying new ram for ksp is a great feeling, I tell you :)

I'm currently changing some things on my RSS config:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...-2nd-Gas-Giant

and I wanted to give Pol a thin layer of super hot atmosphere. But the custom temperature curve doesn't seem to work.

Have I used it somehow wrong?

Code:

Pol
{
Radius = 1500000
GeeASL = 0.45
atmosphereScaleHeight = 15
maxAtmosphereAltitude = 10000
atmosphere = true
atmosphereMultiplier = 0.13
useLegacyAtmosphere = true
temperatureCurve
{
// The units are km, °C, K / km, K / km.
// The relative error in absolute temperature is at most 2e-15, the
// absolute error at sea level is thus about 400 fK.
key = 0 2500 0 0
key = 2 1700 -0 0
key = 3 1400 -0 -0
key = 4 1000 -0 0
key = 5 800 -0 0
key = 6 500 -0 0
key = 8 50 -0 -0
key = 10 -100 -0 -0
}

I already had a custom density curve too and I already had actual numbers at all the 0's . and obviously set legacy to false. But every experimenting didn't seem to work. A Thermometer doesn't read hot values and no parts overheat below 4km...

Log says temperature curve has been loaded:

[LOG 19:12:17.930] *RSS* final scale of Jool in scaledspace: 4
[LOG 19:12:18.014] Found atmo for Jool: Atmosphere, has localScale 1.025
[LOG 19:12:18.016] Atmo updated
[LOG 19:12:18.028] Fixing CB Pol of radius 44000
[LOG 19:12:18.029] Radius ratio: 34.0909090909091
[LOG 19:12:18.032] *RSS* found and loaded temperatureCurve data for Pol
[LOG 19:12:18.132] Found CBT for Pol
[LOG 19:12:18.134] Did CBT for Pol
[LOG 19:12:18.170] Finding PQS Pol
[LOG 19:12:18.189] Editing PQS Pol, default set radius = 1500000

SkyRex94: And when you check temperature, you're sure you're actually in Pol's SOI at the time? That's one other thing...

I checked it in the way that I landed a craft on it with a thermometer attached. How can I even not be in the SOI when checking atmo temperature?