[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

So I recently found this asteroid mod which seems like it would be an interesting way to build up an asteroid belt for RSS and get rid of the asteroid vacuum effect that RSS has, but I'm curious if there is really any reason for this just yet. From my poking around, it seems that other than one shot per class science experiments and messing around with base building, there just isn't that much worthwhile to do with them, meaning putting them into RSS might be wasted effort. What are your thoughts about this?

I suppose generally that the martian atmosphere should behave like that in the real world... It is very very thin when compared to ours...

Is there a way to make those parts change textures? How were the Saturn engines nodes made? Those small grey cone parts holding the engines that seem to be half way inside the tank? That looks nice, and I do not yet know a part that would allow to attach five engines on the bottom like that...

Thank you!

So I recently found this asteroid mod which seems like it would be an interesting way to build up an asteroid belt for RSS and get rid of the asteroid vacuum effect that RSS has, but I'm curious if there is really any reason for this just yet. From my poking around, it seems that other than one shot per class science experiments and messing around with base building, there just isn't that much worthwhile to do with them, meaning putting them into RSS might be wasted effort. What are your thoughts about this?

You could use this pack to give asteroids some kethane and ore. That way they become useful if you play with Kethane or EPLL. You'll have to strip out a few parts though (No use for Liquidfuel and Oxidizer if you play with RF)

Hi,

the mod itself is amazing but unfortunately I have some problems with it :(

1) There is a weird areola around Mars that also makes it transparent to the Sun.

2) I think something is wrong with Mars' atmosphere - aerobraking starts at 20km (shouldn't at around 45-50?) and the atmosphere is very thin - I tried to land a probe by only using aerobraking, and it ended with smashing into the ground at 2100m/s...

The atmosphere of Mars is way less dense than ours...

I've found a picture on wikipedia website of altitude vs velocity of various probes that landed on mars:

1280px-Mars-Science-Laboratory-Mars-Entry-Trajectory.png

Does it look like what you have described?

im pretty used to standard kerbin system, installed this a few days ago and i cannot figure out how to launch on a specific orbital inclination (trying to set it up as ISS inclination) is there a guide i can get to understand it that i couldnt find? because right now i can only get in orbit then cheat for infinite fuel to change inclination :/

im pretty used to standard kerbin system, installed this a few days ago and i cannot figure out how to launch on a specific orbital inclination (trying to set it up as ISS inclination) is there a guide i can get to understand it that i couldnt find? because right now i can only get in orbit then cheat for infinite fuel to change inclination :/

I'm still trying to figure this out as well. I can get into orbit, sure, but not a specific orbit. Last night I tried launching a single pod for a flyby of the moon with a return to Kerbin. I fired up the map view, lined up the moon's orbit line to bisect Earth, timewarped until the KSC was directly under the line, guestimated at the angle, and launched into orbit. It was... sorta close I guess, but the extre delta-v required for even a small inclination change doomed the mission.

Can someone explain to me how to install krag's planetfactory? I drop the "PlanetFactory" folder into GameData, but nothing happens when I load KSP. I've tried it with a stock install, and got the same result. I got the mod from Kagreathea's Github page. Help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Never mind, I realized I was trying to install the source. It works now.

I feel stupid...

Edited by Genius Evil

I'm still trying to figure this out as well. I can get into orbit, sure, but not a specific orbit. Last night I tried launching a single pod for a flyby of the moon with a return to Kerbin. I fired up the map view, lined up the moon's orbit line to bisect Earth, timewarped until the KSC was directly under the line, guestimated at the angle, and launched into orbit. It was... sorta close I guess, but the extre delta-v required for even a small inclination change doomed the mission.

For this, Google "Launch azimuth" and check out the orbiter wiki page on the subject. There is math involved, but it is pretty straightforward.

For the Moon, the inclination is ~-28.4, and to get into the right plane, mechjeb's launch into plane of target mode is invaluable.

PS: Sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on a phone right now and it's a PITA to make it work right.

Wait... MechJeb works with FAR now? I never used MJ in stock because that's just silly-overpowered, but for this full-scale solar system the precision requirements are high enough that I'm starting to eyeball it again. I never installed it, though, because the last time I looked at it, it didn't handle FAR very well at all.

For this, Google "Launch azimuth" and check out the orbiter wiki page on the subject. There is math involved, but it is pretty straightforward.

For the Moon, the inclination is ~-28.4, and to get into the right plane, mechjeb's launch into plane of target mode is invaluable.

PS: Sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on a phone right now and it's a PITA to make it work right.

wow thanks, really helps a bunch but ther eis the other thing (lol sry imma look again tomorow, getting a bit tired here hehe), but let's say i want to put a satellite to a specific inclinations, it wont be launch azymuth right? if i did understand launch azymuth calculate the best moment to launche to get alignement with another plance such ISS, how do i know to launch it?

About the Moon, you don't need to launch into plane at all. 90% of the time if you burn at An/Dn nodes when the moon is about in the right place you can insert with 3k dV easily. If not, you can make it 100% by correcting at apoapsis. I used less than 100m/s to change get into the moon plane at that altitude.

I have always used MechJeb to launch my vehicles and make accurate or long in-space maneuvers. You have got to experiment with different ascent profiles to obtain the right one for your vehicle. I suggest doing a bit of maths and figuring out your vehicle's abilities and specifications e.g. initial and final TWR of each stage, specific impulse of each stage and so on. Then you will be able to decide on the ascent profile you will want to take. It's essential that you get the FAR config for MechJeb. Just one bad thing about MechJeb is its stiffness on the yaw and roll of the vehicle during ascent. Because you don't have an ascent profile that includes roll and yaw, on launches that are inclined, MechJeb often manages to nicely screw up your vehicle with the help of aerodynamic forces! Other than that it is a very nice tool, not to mention a realistic one as well, that manages to simulate computer controlled launch for those who don't know how to do fancy programming. Hope my experience was helpful. :)

Edited by KasraHashemi

Wait... MechJeb works with FAR now? I never used MJ in stock because that's just silly-overpowered, but for this full-scale solar system the precision requirements are high enough that I'm starting to eyeball it again. I never installed it, though, because the last time I looked at it, it didn't handle FAR very well at all.

I don't really mean using the autopilot to fly the whole launch, just to give you the right time to launch. For the Moon, I set it as target, then click launch into target plane followed by engage autopilot. This will warp you to the right moment to launch with about 20 seconds countdown remaining. I then disengage the autopilot take manual control, launching on a heading of 90° which should put you on or very near the plane of the Moon. I will warn you that the dev build from about a week ago didn't do a good job of this, so to be sure you're launching into the right plane, zoom out to map view before launch and double check that your ship is centered on the orbit line of the Moon.

wow thanks, really helps a bunch but ther eis the other thing (lol sry imma look again tomorow, getting a bit tired here hehe), but let's say i want to put a satellite to a specific inclinations, it wont be launch azymuth right? if i did understand launch azymuth calculate the best moment to launche to get alignement with another plance such ISS, how do i know to launch it?

Nope, azimuth is exactly what you want. You want the arcsin (that sin-1 on most scientific calculators) of the cos of your target inclination divided by the cos of your latitude. So, for the ISS's 51.6 inclination from the cape, you would do cos(51.6) / cos(28.5), which is 0.621148 / 0.878814 = 0.706800. Arcsin(0.706800) = 44.98° or 135.02° if you're going south, meaning that to launch into the ascending arc of the orbit, you'd launch on a heading of 44.98° and for the descending arc (not sure if those are the right terms) you'd fly heading 135.02°. Now, the rest of the page helps you figure out things like when to launch, including how much lead time to give yourself so you end up at the correct inclination and also the correct orbital plane. Again, the launch into plane mode of MechJeb helps a lot here, though it won't calculate the lead time for you, so you've either got to do that yourself or you've got to carry some extra dV to correct your inclination after reaching orbit.

I thinking about trying this a again but I am not real sure how to get the earth map?

The Earth and the Moon should both be part of the basic RSS download from the OP. My planet pack for getting other orbital bodies without Planet Factory is also somewhere in the thread, though I'd have to do some looking to find the right post for a link. I think at some point we're planning on putting that pack up on the OP.

When will RSS switch to real planets as stock? iirc it was just waiting on some textures? It'd be allot easier than struggling with PF. I'm just keen to get started on the planets for my RSS visual pack

If people are struggling to launch to the moon, one way to do it, with help from MJ, is to choose Moon as a target and use target orbit info and/or target intercept window (can't remember correct name right now), it will show the relative inclination to the target. Roughly once per earth day, it goes down to 0.25 degrees and that is moment to launch. Moons orbital plane is useful also for interplanetary launches, as it is roughly similar plane for rest of the system.

MJ ascents in RSS: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/MechJeb-Ascents

Launch into an inclination lower than your launch site's latitude: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/Equatorial-Orbits-from-Non-Equatorial-Launch-Sites

SpacedInvader: the plan was to put it in the OP (and host on Majiir's server) as soon as you signed off on them being "ready for use" ;)

Since last I recalled you weren't happy enough with the results.

MJ ascents in RSS: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/MechJeb-Ascents

Launch into an inclination lower than your launch site's latitude: https://github.com/NathanKell/RealSolarSystem/wiki/Equatorial-Orbits-from-Non-Equatorial-Launch-Sites

SpacedInvader: the plan was to put it in the OP (and host on Majiir's server) as soon as you signed off on them being "ready for use" ;)

Since last I recalled you weren't happy enough with the results.

This is sadly true... I'm a little bit of a perfectionist, which reminds me, I am making some progress on the Jovian system, though not as fast as I'd like due to lots of RL activity.

Ok something odd is going on when I try to use RSS, I use mod admin, and I have both tried to install it with that, and manually. I get a message form module manager, that one patch is hidden (what ever that means) but kerben has been moved to the outer system, and some of my launch sites are in the air, Canveral is next to this big huge mt. (there are not MTs in FL) part of the run way is under ground. I thought something might have gotten corrupted when I down loaded it so I tried re downloading. same problem. Tried looking at the out put log cant make heads or tales of that. any idea what I might be doing wrong?

looks like some things failed to load....

Failed to load assembly F:\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\kerbal space program\GameData\Kethane\Plugins\MMI_Kethane.dll:

System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.

at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

<filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANsatRPM.JSISCANsatRPM' from assembly 'SCANsatRPM, Version=0.16.5223.32097, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MapMarkupLine' from assembly 'SCANsatRPM, Version=0.16.5223.32097, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

if more of the out put log would be helpful I would be willing to send, just tell me how to do so.... ty

Now I'm no dev or anything, but it looks like it's not loading Kethane and something about RPM and/or SCANsat. What I'm saying is, unless there's an incompatibility between those mods and RSS which I'm not aware of, this isn't related to RSS, at least not what you just provided.

Any idea what I do about it?

This: You probably need an updated version of ScanSatRPM. Ask in the RPM thread maybe?

Edit: Or maybe an older version. .... probably Kethane was compiled against a differet version of the below mentioned DLL which it probably has as a dependency. Uhm.... why is this being posted in Real Solar System's thread....?

[COLOR=#333333]Additional information about this exception:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'SCANsatRPM.JSISCANsatRPM' from assembly 'SCANsatRPM, Version=0.16.5223.32097, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MapMarkupLine' from assembly 'SCANsatRPM, Version=0.16.5223.32097, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[/COLOR]

Edit #2: Oh and ignore the message about hidden patches. That happens because dependencies aren't being met, like if a patch has :NEEDS[someModIDon'tHaveInstalled]

Edited by Starwaster