[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Everything is correct except the planet's name--even the description is correct, thanks to TheKosmonaut! The problem there is that Squad uses the same field for ID and name, so changing the name changes the ID, which breaks things.

That looks fantastic Nathan!

I think with this it's time I finally try out RSS. Goodbye ~2km/s orbital velocity, hello hard mode!

Make sure to have your heat shield with you.

Make sure your heat shield is upgraded.

The planet textures look really good, unfortunately I can't say the same for the ground level textures.

Is it possible to modify these colors by just tweaking some texture somewhere?

RSS7.png

Edited by maccollo

Just got to try this mod for the first time.. Completely blown away.. Great job!

Question. The link to the cfg file in the op for a 1/10th scaled version of RSS doesn't work with 7.0.. Is there an easy way to convert that cfg to work with the newer version? Or has someone already? I'd rather have a 1/10th scale RSS to avoid having to install RO to balance it out.

Thanks again for the hard work obviously put into this!

Edited by styckx

Just got to try this mod for the first time.. Completely blown away.. Great job!

Question. The link to the cfg file in the op for a 1/10th scaled version of RSS doesn't work with 7.0.. Is there an easy way to convert that cfg to work with the newer version? Or has someone already? I'd rather have a 1/10th scale RSS to avoid having to install RO to balance it out.

Thanks again for the hard work obviously put into this!

The lazy/fast way would be to cut down the radius of all planets by 10, but that will probably ruin their gravity assuming you don't change mass as well. You should snap the 1/10th config to one side of your screen an 7.0 to the other, then change mass/gravparameter, radius and anything else. Basically make the 7.0 have the same numbers as 1/10th does.

The lazy/fast way would be to cut down the radius of all planets by 10, but that will probably ruin their gravity assuming you don't change mass as well. You should snap the 1/10th config to one side of your screen an 7.0 to the other, then change mass/gravparameter, radius and anything else. Basically make the 7.0 have the same numbers as 1/10th does.

Hmm.. I may try option B if I feel adventurous.. I love how the solar system is more accurate but the scale of everything is just a bit overwelming for me. I like challenges but it's just a bit much for my skill level. Seems much easier to just go with a 1/10th scale RSS instead.

I will say.. I always appreciated space travel but after seeing everything in the correct scale etc.. I have a much larger appreciation for it.

http://i.imgur.com/5Nwuizg.jpg

I appreciate realism, but my FPS doesn't agree with me. I think I'll go without asteroids but the sheer number is pretty cool to look at, if only I had a "track all" button.

Time warp a year.
oh maybe its a bug some where they should dissaper after a time if your not tracking it

It is indeed something in the way custom asteroids handles high time warps. That being said, if you don't time warp at such extreme levels, you're usually going to see at most 10-20 asteroids active at any one time...

EDIT: I should also point out that once you have hundreds of rocks like that, the vast majority will disappear if you time warp (at a lower rate) for about 20 days.

Edited by SpacedInvader

My solution to this problem is generally to have a very busy space program going (it's amazing how much maintenance a couple of stations can need with the station science mod and TACLS), so that I've always got something to do while my missions are in progress, though I've yet to launch beyond Mars, so that could make give me a different perspective on the issue...

That being said, I'm probably going to work on the generation rates and persistence time in the next release such that a single asteroid will persist for a long time (maybe as long as a year, though I've not settled on a figure yet), but then only a very small amount are generated in that time. I think this should mitigate the growth rate quite a bit.

I tried to start converting the 1/10th scale cfg to use on v7.

There is so many changes between the two.. It's not going to be possible for me. Besides there being an entire new curve field (temperatureCurve), there are some other new fields, and then the names of some fields have changed.

For instance.

New config

AtmosphereFromGround

{

innerRadius = 6307290 // 0.99

outerRadius = 6530275 // 1.025

//invWaveLength = 0.75, 0.82, 0.89, 0.55

Old

fooAtmosphereFromGround

{

outerRadiusMult = 1.04

transformScale = 1.04

innerRadiusMult = 0.975

Too much work for me and I don't know enough about these numbers to attempt it. :) Oh well, I tried..

I updated my RealSolarSystem.cfg but now I it fails to load. When it gets to Eve it stalls at

[LOG 11:16:30.968] Fixing CB Eve of radius 700000

[LOG 11:16:30.968] Radius ratio: 9.99299183351429

[LOG 11:16:30.987] Found CBT for Eve

[LOG 11:16:30.987] Did CBT for Eve

[LOG 11:16:30.987] Finding PQS Eve

[LOG 11:16:30.995] Editing PQS Eve, radius = 6995094.28346

[LOG 11:16:30.995] Processing PQSMod_VertexHeightMap

[LOG 11:16:30.995] Processing PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight

[LOG 11:16:30.995] Processing PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2

[LOG 11:16:30.995] Processing PQSLandControl

Then when I start a saved games the following is printed out:

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_VertexSimplexNoiseColor

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_AltitudeAlpha

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_AerialPerspectiveMaterial

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_UVPlanetRelativePosition

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_QuadEnhanceCoast

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_CelestialBodyTransform

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_MaterialSetDirection

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_QuadMeshColliders

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_AerialPerspectiveMaterial

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_UVPlanetRelativePosition

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_RemoveQuadMap

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Processing PQSMod_OceanFX

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Disabling PQSLandControl

[LOG 11:16:30.996] Rebuilding sphere Eve

[LOG 11:16:31.005] *RSS* Found scaledspace transform for Eve, scale 0.1169

[LOG 11:16:31.005] *RSS* Failed to get/write ramp for Eve, exception: Texture 'purple_atmogradiant' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

[LOG 11:16:31.005] *RSS* final scale of Eve in scaledspace: 1.168181

[LOG 11:16:31.014] Found atmo for Eve: Atmosphere, has localScale 1.025

[EXC 11:16:31.019] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[LOG 11:16:53.808] Game State Created.

[LOG 11:16:53.836] ScenarioTypes: List Created 7 scenario types loaded from 4 loaded assemblies.

[LOG 11:16:53.846] Game State Saved as persistent

[WRN 11:16:53.847] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From MAINMENU to SPACECENTER =====================

[LOG 11:16:54.402] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'TimeWarpFixer' from assembly 'RealSolarSystem'

[LOG 11:16:54.402] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'CameraFixer' from assembly 'RealSolarSystem'

Only Moho and Eve are scaled up. The rest remain the same size. You can see my config at http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/RealSolarSystem.cfg. Thanks for helping out.

Edited by jsimmons