[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Minor curiosity, is the 8 megapixels by 4 megapixels the maximum texture resolution either KSP or RSS can handle? As I was to lazy to get my PF files I used RSS textures but the output log claimed the width and height was to big. I wouldn't mind if it is, I just want to make sure scaling it up didn't break the texture :)

Nah, sadly 8k by 4k is the maximum KSP can handle.

Installing would be much easyer if the OP would be not a chaotic formatet mess :D

Do I need one of the texture packs at all or only if I want kerbin to earth etc or?

Installing would be much easyer if the OP would be not a chaotic formatet mess :D

Do I need one of the texture packs at all or only if I want kerbin to earth etc or?

Yes, no texture pack, no real planets.

As the OP states, OSX cannot handle 8192x4096 textures, only a max of 4096 in each dimension. Note that those are dimensions; a texture of those dimensions is 33.5 megapixels.

Unity itself cannot handle larger than 8192x8192.

OK, so it was not my fault, completely. I might have used slightly higher resolution then 8192x4096...I was using approximately 32768x16384. My computer (that's brand new) could hardly manage it in gimp. Based on what I know about textures from PF:CE, mars would look amazing with the texture... pity about the limit though* :)

Thanks for your help guys, this was only a proof of concept for up-scaling - it turns out amazing

*this isn't changeable right? Not that there's much need though

As the OP states, OSX cannot handle 8192x4096 textures, only a max of 4096 in each dimension. Note that those are dimensions; a texture of those dimensions is 33.5 megapixels.

Unity itself cannot handle larger than 8192x8192.

This likely isn't on Unity, but on DX9 it uses. DX11 spec requires that hardware supports 16k by 16k textures, so maybe if we force KSP to use DX11 it would stomach larger texture...

Maybe on Unity 5 it would be possible, but with the current memory issues, It'd start being a concern, too. 64bit isn't a magic solution to a problem with the stupid texture loader, not to mention it's really temperamental (sometimes crashing earlier than 32bit, though probably for a different reason).

I'm having some problems here 4tnklg.jpg.

I installed only contents of RSS pack and 4k textures and FAR. Also started new game. Problem shows on x32 and on x64. Whis is launch site in africa. And in case this is not visible - chunk of land soaring in the sky on some height, and you can fall in this hole and get destroyed after about meter or so of fall. What i'm doing wrong?

I have a problem, whenever I go to a KSC everything except the clouds and the space center is completely black and i have to click somewhere on the black textures to enter a facility. Also, the textures of the planets have stayed the same.

Peregrinus: download EVE Overhaul by going to the repo, selecting the overhaul branch (instead of master) and click down below on the x86 or x64 release as appropriate. Then click "raw" to download.

If you want to use it in 7-3, you'll need to first offset it 2048 pixels right, then flip it horizontally. Then save it. Then delete your original file (main.tga I guess?). Note that KSP doesn't care about file extensions like that, so replacing a tga with a png is fine.

Thanks! I wanted to stick with 7-3 so after accidentally ending up with Coruscant on my night-time side and a couple other minor issues, I got it working! I also just noticed and I don't think it was like that before, but the city lights appear to be some distance off the ground, noticeable when looking from the side and not from above. Also something else that's not too major is that there was a lot of flickering of the lights as I was launching, a lot more than without RSS.

I'm just waiting for the next update to B9 before I can resume my KSP adventures, I love having an actual-sized Earth! Though I noticed when looking at some of the other planets (Eve, Jool, Laythe, etc.) from the tracking station that they have an odd mix of their previous atmosphere and their new textures. Not too big of an issue as I don't see myself going to them anytime soon.

One last thing. I believe Scott Manley said in one of his videos when he was trying out RSS some time ago that the engines also had their power increased to compensate for the rescaled Kerbin (and the Kerbol system). Is there such a thing? Because my crafts are no longer capable of achieving orbit and designing them to have a lot more power for relatively small payloads seems unreal and also possibly cost-prohibitive in Career mode.

Anyone have an idea why only a few planets change? Mercury through Jupiter change size and texture like they are suppose to but everything after Jupiter uses the stock size, orbit and texture. I don't think it's a RAM issue since I tried using different texture sizes and the problem was the same when I used a smaller texture pack.

The Satish Dhawan Space Centre is experiencing some... issues. For whatever reason, the ground tiles that it's supposed to sit on are actually hovering above the launch complex. This, combined with the fact that the ground tiles are collidable, results in India having a tough time getting it's space program off the ground.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry Nathan I didn't get back sooner to you. I enabled wrap for both Pol and Bop. Doesn't look so bad after all. The only one I had to disable wrap will Gilly since I want to keep that shape since it is only 130km in radius. Is their a way to get the Default PQS values for Gilly and is it a simple 10x scale?

As for the EVE-7 cloud elevation I see it is only a Eeloo and Kerbin issue. For Eeloo the maxium height on the planet is 3874 meters in height. Now with some art packages they add a glow to the planets just above the heightest point. But for Eeloo setting to 3875 doesn't work. I have to set it to 7200 so the glow layer doesn't intersection the terrian. I also seen this issue with kerbin in that all the clouds have to moved up 6 kilometers so they appear at the correct altitude. I have a launch site at 4km and the clouds were by default below it even tho they we set at 6km. Is this due too Eeloo and Kerbin having altitiudes much lower than the "sea level"?

Very often when I switch from a spacecraft in space to the space center about 2 thousand of asteroids appear, but much less of them appear if I use very high time acceleration while in flight, opposing to what one user described a few pages ago. Is there a fix for this?

But I'm very glad to see the asteroids where they should be: between Mars and Jupiter, in resonance with Jupiter and so on. :)

Does anyone know if there's a place to get planet factory or is it just gone? I would really like to use it with rss but unfortunately the only thread I found of it on the forums was closed because there wasn't any liscence or source in the download, and I can't find it on github either... at least not with a working download anyways.

All the terrain textures are black for me. But from map view and orbit they look fine. http://imgur.com/Ocu0tbz,ja2kF28#0 Any ideas?

Have you downloaded a texture pack like it's said in the first post?

hi sorry to bother you, I can remember that all the hills where really small due to this mod, is that still the case?

No, now the mod contains awesome real Earth terrain with high mountains.

SVarg: known issue with some launch sites. The position and orientation of a number of launch sites needs to be corrected.

Gandalf: log please.

Cause the problem. Quit KSP (if it hasn't crashed). Upload your output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt OR KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

Peregrinuus: Floating city lights is a known issue with 7-3, that's just how it works, and the price you pay for running an old version ;)

Regarding atmosphere: you are running the latest RSS, right? Pic?

The OP has a link to Realism Overhaul, the set of mods designed around RSS. If you just want stuff scaled up but not real, you can get the Stockalike configs for Real Fuels instead.

soverign: log plase (see above for instructions)

Firov: see response to SVarg. If you want to fix it you can open launchsites.cfg and change the values there. Docs here.

Sparker: Custom Asteroids does seem to be having some problems. I'll switch to only bundling the cfg and people can choose whether to use it.

Jetwave: uh....not the PF thread here. ;)

lewis 101: no.

brickmack: Try a KSP install with *just* RSS. That will narrow it down.

This is a really cool concept, but the game just isn't designed for a scale like this... I installed and had a few successful launches, but the needed almost-4000dv to circularize, combined with 4x physics warp while in atmosphere for long, long, LOOOOONG periods of time just makes this unplayable for me. In fact, I had several launches that I just reverted back to the hangars to do something else because I got so bored waiting.

If there was a way to scale it, AND scale the time warps, this mod would be perfect! And yes I am aware that there are mods that screw with the warp system but they've only broken the game for me so far.

Peregrinuus: Floating city lights is a known issue with 7-3, that's just how it works, and the price you pay for running an old version ;)

Regarding atmosphere: you are running the latest RSS, right? Pic?

The OP has a link to Realism Overhaul, the set of mods designed around RSS. If you just want stuff scaled up but not real, you can get the Stockalike configs for Real Fuels instead.

Ok. I tried the overhaul or 9-2 (or whatever it was called) of EVE but it was not appealing. The clouds would rotate with my camera when I looked at Kerbin from the tracking station and the atmosphere was not right.

Yes, I am running the latest RSS. I don't have any pics but I can describe what I remember on Jool. The texture of Jupiter was there but there were also bands that would be tinted green instead of the normal colors.

I looked at Realism Overhaul and I'll probably give it a look again. Though I don't want to jam myself with mods which is why I held back on it.

Though today unfortunately I temporarily/semi-permanently removed RSS. I did my first day-time flight and I was rather appalled to be honest. Not at RSS. But at the way RSS and EVE worked together. The clouds were flying above at supersonic speeds and they were passing me when I was flying at Mach 1 (real immersion-breaker for me). Also due to the geometry of how the clouds are set, the vertices of the grid are where they should be but then the planes between them disappear into the ground, causing a sudden appearance/loss of clouds that are going into or coming out of the ground at ground level (another immersion-breaker for me). I probably fly in the atmosphere 80% of the time I play KSP so I had to let go of RSS for now. Without EVE I'm sure RSS is great, but EVE is just as important to me as FAR and B9, sorry.

I haven't committed to yet nor started a Career mode save and I use sandbox to build and fly aircraft about 95-99% of the time so I'll still keep an eye out for any improvements. Though I'll probably begin a Career mode save once B9 gets a new official update. Again, I'm sorry that I have to say all of this.