[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Just got back from vacation. Ok to be honest I got back on Sunday but my Oculus Rift was waiting for me so it sucked some time away :P

Anyway glad to see everything updated for 0.24!

@NathanKell: I didn't see my camera fix in the changelog. Are you having any issues with it that I can help with?

mecki: Don't worry. :]

I see issues from Resource Converter. What mod is that from? Looks like it's breaking.

I don't see a single error from RSS--what gave you the idea that RSS was throwing problems?

brickmack: Try replacing your earth texture with this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6ejt5iz33scyn4/EarthColor.png

mecki: As the Deadly Reentry OP states, you have two options for RSS.

1. Play with realistic heating. Don't touch anything in DRE, use Realism Overhaul.

2. Play with nerfed heating (so things only heat up as much as on stock Kerbin): lower the heat multiplier. But since you're playing with RO, why use this option? You already have the right heatshields for Earth.

Agathorn: Welcome back! Per changelog it causes NRE spam when enabled. I didn'y yet have a chance to try workarounds.

JCLind10: your computer is wrong :P

mecki: Don't worry. :]

I see issues from Resource Converter. What mod is that from? Looks like it's breaking.

I don't see a single error from RSS--what gave you the idea that RSS was throwing problems?

It's a mod needed for the Universal Storage System Mod.

I saw errors saying that textures couldn't be found / opened and they all had to do with RSS. But maybe I was misinterpreting something.

Thank you, will look further into it from here!

Thank you for the quick clarification!

So it is intended to stay at 25 (and therefore simulating real Earth with RSS and RealismOverhaul installed with this configuration)?

Correct, just leave the settings as is and make sure you have those RSS shields and you're fine.

A little more info if you're interested; the reason stock KSP is less lethal and RSS more so is all to do with your reentry speed. Through some mathematical coincidences, your shockwave temperature is going to be approximately equal to your reentry speed. (except converted to C)

Typical reentry velocities for stock Kerbin are ~2500 (more for a return from Mun or other body)

RSS is.... 3 times that? So an RSS reentry is going to have over 7000 degree shockwaves. You could turn the difficulty down if you find that too hot, but where's the fun in that :P

Just got back from vacation. Ok to be honest I got back on Sunday but my Oculus Rift was waiting for me so it sucked some time away :P

Anyway glad to see everything updated for 0.24!

@NathanKell: I didn't see my camera fix in the changelog. Are you having any issues with it that I can help with?

That's strange, I'd swear I saw something about it being in there...

My computer keeps telling me that there's a malicious item in this mod...

It lies! :)

If there's an option to ignore or an exempt list to add it to, you can do so safely. There's no malware involved

Agathorn: Welcome back! Per changelog it causes NRE spam when enabled. I didn'y yet have a chance to try workarounds.

Hmm odd. I'll try to find a moment to look at that. I don't recall seeing any spam, but I did test it more or less in isolation with just RSS, nothing else.

What do you mean by every single thing?

Try a completely clean KSP install. Download it fresh from the store, extract it somewhere. Follow the steps in the OP to download and install RSS. Then download and install the 2048 texture pack. Then try to launch KSP.

If it still fails, follow the issue report steps:

1. Describe the problem

2. Reproduction steps.

3. Cause the problem. Quit KSP (if it hasn't crashed). Upload your entire output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt OR KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

What do you mean by every single thing?

Try a completely clean KSP install. Download it fresh from the store, extract it somewhere. Follow the steps in the OP to download and install RSS. Then download and install the 2048 texture pack. Then try to launch KSP.

If it still fails, follow the issue report steps:

1. Describe the problem

2. Reproduction steps.

3. Cause the problem. Quit KSP (if it hasn't crashed). Upload your entire output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt OR KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

This post should be in a sticky on the forum.

I've been playing with JSimmons' 10x kerbin config file, but for some reason kerbin's SoI is smaller than the orbit of the Mun. It makes maneuver nodes useless, which makes navigation too complicated for my liking. Could this be a compatibility issue of some kind? Or is this a bug with the config file? Also, if there's any simple config edit to fix this, I'd be interested.

I just got a satellite up to the moon today and for the most part, it looks fantastic. However, I'm getting these tan blobs over-layed on it:

9FwuD7l.png

They're there on the map view as well. They aren't perfectly fixed; they randomly shift size and shape a little bit, but appear to be concentrated on lower altitudes. Is this RSS or EVE, and any ideas of what I've done wrong?

Edit:

It appears to have been EVE. I wasn't liking either the clouds or the Lights Overlay (neither seemed to be working/aligned properly) So I deleted the Cluds and Lights .DLLs and this was the result on the Moon.

Da68qhW.png

Cheers

Edited by ninjaweasel

Read the FAQ, last few pages of posts and first few pages and couldnt find an answer or similar problem to this.

I am having issues trying to land anywhere on "Earth" with a plane. Namely the wheels go through them and then the ship spontaneously explodes. It seems like there is a texture/collision mesh mismatch, but i may just be making things up from experience with other games. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've been playing with JSimmons' 10x kerbin config file, but for some reason kerbin's SoI is smaller than the orbit of the Mun. It makes maneuver nodes useless, which makes navigation too complicated for my liking. Could this be a compatibility issue of some kind? Or is this a bug with the config file? Also, if there's any simple config edit to fix this, I'd be interested.

According to this formula and the masses/distances in the config file, kerbin's SoI should be about 840 thousand km, but in practice it is only 78 thousand km. Not sure where the discrepancy is happening.

Seems that Jupiter/Jool's atmosphere isn't working (for that matter, neither is Saturn/Dres's or Uranus/Minmus's). You can timewarp up to the surface and there's no friction at all, even though the planet's info screen says there should be an atmosphere. I don't think anything changed in Jool's config since last patch so I don't know what could be wrong.

5KmjWrz.png

I just re-installed RSS, but with the default config. Firstly, it appears no earth/moon models come with RSS anymore? Secondly, Kerbin's SoI is still only 78,000 km, IE, smaller than the orbit of the Mun. No one else is getting this issue?

I just re-installed RSS, but with the default config. Firstly, it appears no earth/moon models come with RSS anymore? Secondly, Kerbin's SoI is still only 78,000 km, IE, smaller than the orbit of the Mun. No one else is getting this issue?

For me the SoI is well beyond the moon, so I can't help you there. As for the models, read the first post. The mod now comes with textures and heightmaps for all celestial bodies. But, since this takes up quite a lot of memory there are different quality maps. So you have to pick what pack you want to download in accord to how much memory you are willing to allocate to RSS.

...Namely the wheels go through them and then the ship spontaneously explodes. It seems like there is a texture/collision mesh mismatch, but i may just be making things up from experience with other games...

I had the same thing happen also. I don't remember it being a problem with the previous version of RSS.

I removed all my other mods, except for RSS, and the SoI thing is still happening. I guess that rules out compatibility issues...

For me the SoI is well beyond the moon, so I can't help you there. As for the models, read the first post. The mod now comes with textures and heightmaps for all celestial bodies. But, since this takes up quite a lot of memory there are different quality maps. So you have to pick what pack you want to download in accord to how much memory you are willing to allocate to RSS.

The OP says if we don't DL a texture pack, things scale up, just without any visual differences. Are they mandatory?

The OP says if we don't DL a texture pack, things scale up, just without any visual differences. Are they mandatory?

They aren't. Although I highly recommend them, they make the game look really awesome and the altered heightmaps make the terrain much more interesting to land on.

Well, I just used steam to verify the integrity of the game's local files. It found some files that failed to verify (likely the stock/default ships I removed) and fixed them, however kerbin's SoI is still short of the mun. I'm totally stumped. It's not JSimmons' config file, it's not being caused by another mod, and it's not a corrupted game file. Unless I'm being derpy and installing it wrong, I don't know what else it could be. I'm going to try using an older version of RSS. I still have 0.6.9 somewhere or other.

Although I highly recommend them, they make the game look really awesome and the altered heightmaps make the terrain much more interesting to land on.

That sounds cool, but what I'm hoping to do is play on JSimmons' 10x scaled kerbin (for the sake of career mode), so the textures wouldn't apply.

metaphor: on it.

hydropos: you need to remove *all* mods before using steam's verify tool; the verify tool will not delete extra files added by you. So you should nuke GameData *entirely* and then run the tool (to redownload clean Squad and NASAMission folders).

*Then* download RSS v7.1 fresh, and install that.

*Then* try again and see what happens. If it works, replace the cfg with jsimmons' cfg and try again.

hydropos: you need to remove *all* mods before using steam's verify tool; the verify tool will not delete extra files added by you. So you should nuke GameData *entirely* and then run the tool (to redownload clean Squad and NASAMission folders).

*Then* download RSS v7.1 fresh, and install that.

*Then* try again and see what happens.

Just did this, and it didn't work. And I deleted more than just gamedata. Any folder that I even thought I modified in any way (resources, saves, plugindata, etc) I deleted. FYI, the first time I extracted the RSS zip file, I got one folder called "RealSolarSystem_v7.1" containing three folders and a modulemanager. I moved the contents of that folder into gamedata, instead of moving the folder itself into gamedata. I also tried just moving the folder (containing all three sub-folders) into gamedata and the results were the same. I don't know what you changed between 7.0 and 7.1, but it does not like my computer.

Also, when I boot on 7.0, the game says it may be incompatible, but everything seems to work. Should I be worried about this?