[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

combined with 4x physics warp while in atmosphere for long, long, LOOOOONG periods of time just makes this unplayable for me

Just leave the atmosphere and you'll be able to warp faster. IRL you wouldn't like to use such low orbits anyway. The only thing where atmospheric time warp really spoils everything is spaceplane re-entry because it takes 30-40 minutes to land it!

I did my first day-time flight and I was rather appalled to be honest. Not at RSS. But at the way RSS and EVE worked together. The clouds were flying above at supersonic speeds and they were passing me when I was flying at Mach 1 (real immersion-breaker for me).

If I'm not mistaken you can set the rotation rate of the cloud layer in the EVE config file. Just set it to something like 1/10 of its current speed and you shouldn't have any problems.

This is a really cool concept, but the game just isn't designed for a scale like this... I installed and had a few successful launches, but the needed almost-4000dv to circularize, combined with 4x physics warp while in atmosphere for long, long, LOOOOONG periods of time just makes this unplayable for me. In fact, I had several launches that I just reverted back to the hangars to do something else because I got so bored waiting.

If there was a way to scale it, AND scale the time warps, this mod would be perfect! And yes I am aware that there are mods that screw with the warp system but they've only broken the game for me so far.

I'm torn between a snarky comment like 'Maybe realism isnt for you and you should (something disparaging about the kids table)' and something educational. :P You cant scale up to real world scales and not expect to make changes in how you play. If by 4000dv you mean the actual circularization then you're not turning early enough. LEO has a delta v requirement of ~9300 and you should be much more than halfway through that by the time you're circularizing.

start your turn when velocity reaches 100m/s with a 5 deg turn then follow the prograde marker. turn end should be at an altitude of 120-150 km with a pitch of about 5 degrees above horizon

If you use mechjeb, then your turn start is going to be 0.5-1.1km depending on TWR Turn end and pitch as above. turn shape 50-70%

All this assumes FAR / NEAR / SDF or your drag losses will be so high that you're spending 11km to get to low orbit.

As far time warp goes, well you're stuck with phys warp as long as you're in atmo, and atmosphere extends to 180km so you've got a lot more of it to go through and there's no way around that.

xtoro: If your circularization burn is 4000m/s, you're launching very very wrong. Also if you're just coasting through the atmosphere, you're launching wrong.

This sounds much more like you need a way to fly it better, rather than having different settings. :)

Look through the guides here.

Peregrinuus: you need to get the latest version, not the months-ago version from the Releases page. Also, if you open the EVE settings dialog and click apply, the clouds will behave properly. I assume rbray will fix that issue soon.

For Jool, I do need pictures.

Once again, if you use a version of EVE (7-3) that is not built for RSS compatibility, then you should not be surprised it's not RSS compatible out of the box.

What kind of problem have you? For me Inaccessable, Sentar and Erin are working good with RSS, but other planets aren't. Is this your problem?

For me everything is messed up... I don't even have Earth, and all the planets are on different orbits.

I was trying to design a Venus return mission and something seemed off about the atmosphere, even with FAR. I saw that the planetary atmosphere configs were unchanged in the last version of RSS. For example, Venus just had a pressure curve with data only every 15.9 km, and a constant scale height. That resulted in a pretty unrealistic atmosphere at high altitudes. In reality, Venus's atmospheric pressure falls off really fast after the first 50-60 km so that at about 140 km it's the same as Earth's.

So I made a pressure curve that more closely models the actual atmosphere of Venus, similar to RSS Earth's pressure curve. It uses actual NASA data, changing scale heights, and interpolations every 2 km. I cut it off at about the same pressure as the Earth one was cut off. --> LINK

Feel free to use it in the next version of RSS if you want. Let me know if you want it every 1 km or so, I can change it pretty easily. I can also make them for Mars and Titan, and maybe some of the gas giants if I can find good data.

Edited by metaphor

I'm torn between a snarky comment like 'Maybe realism isnt for you and you should (something disparaging about the kids table)' and something educational. :P You cant scale up to real world scales and not expect to make changes in how you play. If by 4000dv you mean the actual circularization then you're not turning early enough. LEO has a delta v requirement of ~9300 and you should be much more than halfway through that by the time you're circularizing.

start your turn when velocity reaches 100m/s with a 5 deg turn then follow the prograde marker. turn end should be at an altitude of 120-150 km with a pitch of about 5 degrees above horizon

If you use mechjeb, then your turn start is going to be 0.5-1.1km depending on TWR Turn end and pitch as above. turn shape 50-70%

All this assumes FAR / NEAR / SDF or your drag losses will be so high that you're spending 11km to get to low orbit.

As far time warp goes, well you're stuck with phys warp as long as you're in atmo, and atmosphere extends to 180km so you've got a lot more of it to go through and there's no way around that.

Good save on an almost childish response...

xtoro: If your circularization burn is 4000m/s, you're launching very very wrong. Also if you're just coasting through the atmosphere, you're launching wrong.

This sounds much more like you need a way to fly it better, rather than having different settings. :)

Look through the guides here.

I did realize that afterwards, I was just too excited to try it out! I did start turning in much earlier and it made a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash your mod or anything, I think it's the coolest one out there. I just think for something to this scale, the game needs to be able to timewarp faster in atmosphere. And I'm not launching wrong if I'm just coasting through the atmosphere, because I'm also talking about landings. And, I make SSTO space planes, so physics warp is kind of a must for the long flight upwards. I'm hoping for improvements in the game engine to make this more playable.

On another note; is it normal that RSS makes everything much more laggy? Is this because of high texture res or just because of the size of the local area in general? I have a beast of a computer that runs KSP in the green even with several hundred part ships. But as soon as I installed RSS, even the smallest ships are running at 20-30% normal speed. I'm just wondering if there's something to help this run faster, because when I see your screenshots, your MET time is green. Mine is NEVER green...

Thanks,

XT

I was trying to design a Venus return mission and something seemed off about the atmosphere, even with FAR. I saw that the planetary atmosphere configs were unchanged in the last version of RSS. For example, Venus just had a pressure curve with data only every 15.9 km, and a constant scale height. That resulted in a pretty unrealistic atmosphere at high altitudes. In reality, Venus's atmospheric pressure falls off really fast after the first 50-60 km so that at about 140 km it's the same as Earth's.

So I made a pressure curve that more closely models the actual atmosphere of Venus, similar to RSS Earth's pressure curve. It uses actual NASA data, changing scale heights, and interpolations every 2 km. I cut it off at about the same pressure as the Earth one was cut off. --> LINK

Feel free to use it in the next version of RSS if you want. Let me know if you want it every 1 km or so, I can change it pretty easily. I can also make them for Mars and Titan, and maybe some of the gas giants if I can find good data.

That sounds like the original curve data I did. I wasnt able to find any good data that Intrusted so I generated it with a static scale height. Where did you Get yours from? And it really falls off that fast?

I have some knocking around for Jupiter somewhere but there were problems doing an atmosphere as deep as I wanted. It confused KSP's reentry aeroFX. (what I was experimenting with was literally scaling the planet to approx that of Earth to simulate what we think we know about its core and simulating its layers in atmospheric curve data. Rendering issues aside the AeroFX was stretched 90 degrees off and the camera was off too. Next thing I wanted was to scaling the planets hard surface to the metallic hydrogen layer and then do atmosphere from that point on.. never got around to it)

Edited by Starwaster
fixed the font. I hope.

On another note; is it normal that RSS makes everything much more laggy? Is this because of high texture res or just because of the size of the local area in general? I have a beast of a computer that runs KSP in the green even with several hundred part ships. But as soon as I installed RSS, even the smallest ships are running at 20-30% normal speed. I'm just wondering if there's something to help this run faster, because when I see your screenshots, your MET time is green. Mine is NEVER green...

Thanks,

XT

No lag from RSS at all on my side. Did you check your log for NullReferences? Maybe there's some conflict going on between RSS and some other mod and its clogging the CPU with errors.

I don't know if this is only me or if there is anything for me to do to change it:

When I spawn on the runway, my Pod sinks in. So did my Kerbalnaut on EVA, too. Also in SpaceCenter view the buildings are sometimes hard to click, their clickable area seems to be off (only sometimes).

I already read the FAQ and ATM and the Texture setting always were correct.

Thank you!

metaphor: thanks! Yeah, we were so focused on getting the planets *looking* right I forgot the atmospheres were still meh. Also, you will have PM response shortly.

M4ladict, lewis 101:

1. Describe the problem

2. Reproduction steps.

3. Cause the problem. Quit KSP (if it hasn't crashed). Upload your entire output log (NOT ksp.log) to dropbox or something.

Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt OR KSP_win64\KSP_x64_DATA\output_log.txt (depending on which used)

Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

xtoro: time control (I think?) or dynamic warp should be able to get you up to maybe 8x physical warp. And yes, coasting through, say, Titan's atmosphere takes *forever*. Regarding lag, that used to be true, but with .24 Win x64 I have seen a massive performance increase. It does sound like, as Ralathon asks, you might be getting log spam; disk IO is very expensive, so when stuff is written to log it slows you down.

Peregrinuus: you need to get the latest version, not the months-ago version from the Releases page. Also, if you open the EVE settings dialog and click apply, the clouds will behave properly. I assume rbray will fix that issue soon.

For Jool, I do need pictures.

Once again, if you use a version of EVE (7-3) that is not built for RSS compatibility, then you should not be surprised it's not RSS compatible out of the box.

Jool:

Laythe (almost certain there shouldn't be any blue):

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal%20Space%20Program/Screenshots/screenshot87.png

Eve:

Also some weird-ness with Kerbin's atmosphere:

Night time:

Day time:

The only thing I was able to solve with the settings dialogue was the issue where the cloud altitude was too low causing plane intersection with the surface of Kerbin. Otherwise I get a weird blue glow in my vicinity which also creates the out-of-place blue glow during the middle of the night.

This is all using RSS 7.1 and the latest EVE Overhaul for x64 (updated 4 days ago at https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/tree/Overhaul)

Edit: Ugh, how do I upload images, I'm new to the forums.

Edit 2: Will use imgur

Edit 3: http://imgur.com/a/Q1kBt

Edited by Peregrinuus

What kind of problem have you? For me Inaccessable, Sentar and Erin are working good with RSS, but other planets aren't. Is this your problem?

This is exactly the problem I am having. Any luck updating the config file? All I've managed to do is make it worse.

edit: punctuation

Edited by Speed7

That sounds like the original curve data I did. I wasnt able to find any good data that Intrusted so I generated it with a static scale height. Where did you Get yours from? And it really falls off that fast?

I have some knocking around for Jupiter somewhere but there were problems doing an atmosphere as deep as I wanted. It confused KSP's reentry aeroFX. (what I was experimenting with was literally scaling the planet to approx that of Earth to simulate what we think we know about its core and simulating its layers in atmospheric curve data. Rendering issues aside the AeroFX was stretched 90 degrees off and the camera was off too. Next thing I wanted was to scaling the planets hard surface to the metallic hydrogen layer and then do atmosphere from that point on.. never got around to it)

This source for example.

I don't know if it would do anything to simulate gas giants with deep atmospheres like that. KSP doesn't model pressure-related disassembly, so your ship would just get slower and slower as it fell down, and your terminal velocity would go below 1 m/s eventually. It would take days at 4x physical warp to go down an appreciable fraction of the radius. I would say just simulate up to something like 100 atmospheres maybe. (The config file I made without a pressure curve stopped at 1 atmosphere so that the upper atmosphere would work better.)

Also, why is your font Times New Roman? It's a little hard to read.

For an even better experience than falling into the holes in the world at some launch sites, try launching from the (underground) pad in India! Good times!

But since I've seen that those pads are a known issue, two issues I haven't seen the answer for (but have likely been asked somewhere in these 150 pages):

1. Inability to click on some buildings from some camera angles. Can be worked around since the camera can be moved, but somewhat irritating.

2. Very obvious tile tearing/texture misalignment on the surface. I'm using using the 2048x1024 textures.

Not game breaking errors at all. I haven't gotten to explore beyond the bounds of Earth yet to check out the rest but given what I've seen so far, I'm sure it will be great. Awesome work!

Peregrinuus: Those screenshots look EVE issues, not RSS issues. If you haven't changed EVE's settings (which are set up for the default Kerbol system, so Eve gets purple clouds, and Jool gets green ones) then...you'll still get those clouds. I thought you were talking about *surface* textures.

When I said EVE Overhaul works with RSS, I meant the clouds are at the appropriate height more or less, etc; not that the mod will somehow detect that RSS is installed and change what clouds it applies.

ninjaweasel: pull requests to fix the alignment of KSCs are gratefully accepted ;)

(It takes time, which I haven't had)

Those two issues you mention are known; as soon as you enter another scene (VAB/SPH/Tracking/Flight) and return, both go away. Agathorn had a prototype fix that would simply reload the space center once it loaded the first time, but that lead to NRE spam in the log so I disabled it.

Thanks so much! :)

This source for example.

I don't know if it would do anything to simulate gas giants with deep atmospheres like that. KSP doesn't model pressure-related disassembly, so your ship would just get slower and slower as it fell down, and your terminal velocity would go below 1 m/s eventually. It would take days at 4x physical warp to go down an appreciable fraction of the radius. I would say just simulate up to something like 100 atmospheres maybe. (The config file I made without a pressure curve stopped at 1 atmosphere so that the upper atmosphere would work better.)

Also, why is your font Times New Roman? It's a little hard to read.

Wow, thanks for that, lots of good data in there.

Re: Jupiter, well I just didn't want there to even be a hint of a surface that the player could ever perceive. That's the main reason that I took it all the way down. I intended for it to be accompanied by temperature curve data that would definitely destroy the ship so it's not like it was ever going to get there anyway. (I know, that sounds like even more of a reason not to bother modeling it that far :P)

Now, Re: Font... wow I have no idea how that happened, sorry! This message looks ok.... I think...

font test: times new roman.

other Font Font Font Font Font

Edited by Starwaster

hi this mod isn't working for me :( I have some screenshots do you have a way I can email them to you ( I might take a long time Im going camping) I cant describe whats going on really, and how do I get my log if you need that.

ok chaps , so ive not played for about a mth now as been waiting for updates etc , with the news that the tech tree etc is now up for tender due to real life issues from the fantasic creator i am wondering now what i shud have installed in order to be able to play , what i mean is i have everying ready to go apart from the tech tree and once that is installed then i wil install the overhaul, so do i install the overhaul ? if so then what do i play ? the secience or sandbox or carrer ? i am so confussed right now it must be KSP withdraw symtoms.