[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Okay, I am having some issues with this mod.

First, I followed the "install" instruction exactly and I and stuck in a valley that is about 20,000m deep.

10407431_883243131716029_1102691078092147077_n.jpg?oh=9dbdae524e2656758dfcdd3fdeae4792&oe=5516313B

1959354_883243175049358_6397850759477927929_n.jpg?oh=c77494c10f0ab2466b20211ddcf49573&oe=550A97C1

10424980_883243121716030_6598112904801309446_n.jpg?oh=86974a243fe111d40288c13697823335&oe=54D51CE4&__gda__=1427517326_ba00639e87903deee3904ec827b7993c

What, if anything, have I done wrong? I am using 32 bit v25. I don't know whats going on but I think I have been having issues with other mods too. I don't get all of the B9 Pack, I am missing parts from the Interstellar mod, and I'm losing my stages during launch with one of the mods.

I don't know if anyone else is having issues like this one for this mod or any of the others I listed, but any insight would be great.

And secondly, It doesn't have the Earth texture after I downloaded and "installed" the texture pack suggested with the instructions suggested. Thank you in advance for any help.

FOUND IT!

Crappy resolution, but the stages add up to over 10,000 deltaV!

*EDIT* Also note this is in spite of the 220 IspV stage 2 and stage 3, which it also shows, and was discussed on my Alexandria page and/or here.

jupiter-c.jpg

*EDIT* finished product:

0QF0Dv0.png

Edited by Felbourn

I have got the 2048 texture pack. I just put it in the GameData folder, right? Just extract in the GameData folder as "\" what ever it is right?

You drop the GameData folder inside the KSP folder, yes. Be sure you're not putting GameData into GameData. It's basically how you install all mods. If the textures were just inside a RealSolarSystem folder (I can't remember anymore if they were in a GameData) then you drop that RealSolarSystem folder into GameData directly.

I have got the 2048 texture pack. I just put it in the GameData folder, right? Just extract in the GameData folder as "\" what ever it is right?

However you do it, the end result you want is textures being inside the RealSolarSystem folder and not some other folder. If you put the zip file with textures inside the gamedata folder and select "extract here" it should result in exactly that correct outcome.

I'd like to understand how the PQS textures work on planetary objects.

How does the game display surface textures based on distance form the planet? I know there is a switchoff from Scaled Space textures to PQS textures at a certain specified point, but how are the levels of PQS detail dealt with? It's clear that the texture gets sub-divided the closer and closer you get (as you can see more detail the closer you get) but does the game do this automatically? Can the number of times it gets divided be increased in order to improve the texture quality on the surface of planets in RSS?

I don't fully understand how it works so I would appreciate any explanation regarding the mechanics in this area.

Thanks.

2. TEXTURE INSTALLATION

Now, you must select a texture resolution. You may download a premade pack (8192, 4096, or 2048), or pick and choose. Any planets which do not have textures will not have their coloration, features, etc., changed, although they will be made larger. Extract the folder(s) in the pack to KSP/GameData

Textures: Download a zip (note instructions above) or click the Textures link pick and choose and place the PNGs in PluginData.

Where do I put them? The mod doesn't seem to do anything to my game.

Realism Overhaul isn't as daunting as a lot of people think, it really does make your life easier, and you don't have to install all the mods that make your life harder (like Deadly Re-entry, and TAC Life Support).

Tried to make this work since yesterday, ~4 hours into debugging.

All windows closed, even the browser

And I still crashed from out of memory at DUNA in the first load where it replaces everything.

Deleted EVERYTHING in the folder but the RSS stuff, no effects at all, still crashed from out of memory.

But I got it to work eventually. Here's how I managed for those interested:

I got a clean, untouched 0.25 ksp from the website, onto which I have then put :

- Active memory management (Aggressive)

- All RSS stuff only (with 8k textures and 1/10th scale)

Fired-it up and now it works and holding steady at 3.1gig usage. Not a lot of room for additional mods (oh x64 how I yearn for thee !), but at the very least it works.

Will try getting the basics back on (engineer, and few others) but at least it's playable now !

Edited by Francois424

^Your problem is trying to use exclusively the 8k textures. That is almost impossible to make to work on windows. The fact that they exist doesn't mean you have to use them, 4k ones look very good too. It is recommended to only have 8k textures for the stuff you are going to watch often (Earth, Moon, maybe Mars), and keep everything else at 4k or even 2k.

I've been working on getting RSS/RO to work for the last 2 days or so with the 8k textures.... And have decided to try the 4k textures instead (probably pick up the 2k as a final solution lol). I'm running through some issues, and will post them once I can't think of anything else to try.

I might copy an install at some point and use just this mod with the 8k textures, just to see what they're like in all their grandeur... (I might ask you how to turn off the safeties so I can run this in 64bit-lets-kill-my-computer mode... But that might be Cletus Kerbin--Jeb's less well known and very dead brother-- whispering in my ear! :P)

Anyway, this all looks gorgeous and I am bound and determined to get this working one way or another! Thank you for all your hard work and letting all of us partake in this work of art!

^Your problem is trying to use exclusively the 8k textures. That is almost impossible to make to work on windows. The fact that they exist doesn't mean you have to use them, 4k ones look very good too. It is recommended to only have 8k textures for the stuff you are going to watch often (Earth, Moon, maybe Mars), and keep everything else at 4k or even 2k.

Thanks will try that. Because if I just add ONE mod, it dosent load anymore with 8k. Man I want 64 bits now, more than ever.

Linux64 is also broken when you download it, BUT unlike windows 64, it can be fixed by the user. The instructions should be available in the linux support thread.

Is there any good cloud mods for this mod? I tried EVE with the latest version and it gave some wacky results with Titan having orange, sparse clouds and Venus having Eve's purple cloud layer. Is there any solution?

There is this config for EVE: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83215-RSS-Visual-Enhancements-WIP?p=1215513

but the version for KSP 0.25 isn't ready yet, so it might be better to wait a few days, it seems pingopete is going to release something in near future.