[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

What I'll do at the start is put a dialog box in the VAB where you can enter the latitude and longitude of where you want to launch from. Well, one for KSC, one for the flat piece of land under it.

Instead of physically having multiple KSCs and writing my own launch method, that should be much easier.

What I'll do at the start is put a dialog box in the VAB where you can enter the latitude and longitude of where you want to launch from. Well, one for KSC, one for the flat piece of land under it.

Instead of physically having multiple KSCs and writing my own launch method, that should be much easier.

Sounds great! Maybe supply a few real launch sites' coordinate "presets" to select?

The Earth looks very cool! But I actually like how the kerbol system already is. I am using the alternate 10x stock kerbol config. Will you keep the alternate config for future versions because I really like the rescale but with the current system. Also did you find a fix for the collider bug I am having? :)

Edited by tygoo7

Several things:

1) Tygoo, everyone has the collider issue. That's just seems to be what happens when you rescale the solar system up by 10 times. It actually happens in the stock game. As it turns out the colliders don't match up with the terrain perfectly, which is just enough to cause this in RSS.

2) OMG, Earth looks amazing! I want to launch from either England, America or New Zealand.

3) Anyone found out why whenever I use an AEIS dish or probe my ships get fired off into intergalactic space when they stage yet?

Thanks folks. Working on it now so PQS terrain sealevel is correct, but there's still procedural hillyness. Also, we're talking 3 8192x4096 textures here--32mb + 96mb + 32mb = 160mb of textures just for Earth. (That's with a DXT5 color texture, an RGB normal map, and an 8bit heightmap.) So...make sure you have the headroom. :)

tygoo7: yes, as mentioned, that's a known issue, and no there isn't a fix right now. I tried to explain what's going on more technically, Deathsoul097 has the clearer explanation, but the short answer is: I don't know of a way to make them match up without turning your computer into slag.

Regarding 10x kerbol: obviously I'm not going to remove the link, and the cfg should be forwards compatible. :)

Wallenberg: good idea.

tygoo7: yes, as mentioned, that's a known issue, and no there isn't a fix right now. I tried to explain what's going on more technically, Deathsoul097 has the clearer explanation, but the short answer is: I don't know of a way to make them match up without turning your computer into slag.

Regarding 10x kerbol: obviously I'm not going to remove the link, and the cfg should be forwards compatible. :)

Yeah I got use to it after playing for a while so its not much of a problem to me anymore. :P

The launchpad selector sounds awesome and I hope it also works for the alternate config! :)

@NathanKell: That sounds awesome! If you're going to take suggestions for preset launch sites, I'd suggest the planned SpaceX private launch site located in Boca Chica Village, TX. The coordinates are 25°59′29″N 97°11′1″W and it's right at the southeast corner of Texas along the gulf. I'm working out a Falcon Heavy launch of a space station module with full re-usability, and having the option to land the core downrange at The Cape rather than in Texas might help boost the payload mass a bit.

@NathanKell: That sounds awesome! If you're going to take suggestions for preset launch sites, I'd suggest the planned SpaceX private launch site located in Boca Chica Village, TX. The coordinates are 25°59′29″N 97°11′1″W and it's right at the southeast corner of Texas along the gulf. I'm working out a Falcon Heavy launch of a space station module with full re-usability, and having the option to land the core downrange at The Cape rather than in Texas might help boost the payload mass a bit.

Hey Ferram, are you using LazTek's SpaceX stuff? Scripto, Laz, and I have been having some discussions on making the pack work well with FAR and more of the Realism stuff. It has some issues here and there, though we've worked out most of them I think. My Falcons are a LOT more stable now then they used to be.

I have been, but not in my most recent launches (ultra-heavy payloads, working on 1,000 tonne to LEO) and I have to get the most recent updates to the pack and Scripto's changes. The only issues that I can see remaining would be the second stage engine if the interstage doesn't shield it properly and aerodynamics affecting stuff in the trunk, but the latter can be fixed with an additional title specification in the FAR config (I'll look at making it standard for FAR). Oh, and I think the solar panel covers might not shield the panels, which is something to check.

I have been, but not in my most recent launches (ultra-heavy payloads, working on 1,000 tonne to LEO) and I have to get the most recent updates to the pack and Scripto's changes. The only issues that I can see remaining would be the second stage engine if the interstage doesn't shield it properly and aerodynamics affecting stuff in the trunk, but the latter can be fixed with an additional title specification in the FAR config (I'll look at making it standard for FAR). Oh, and I think the solar panel covers might not shield the panels, which is something to check.

I think the solar panels are good now. They removed some nodes that were causing issues.

Having lived at "the cape" for many years, that looks nothing like it :P But to be fair what you've done with the tools available is nothing short of amazing! Can't wait to try this out, and if you need any help with testing let me know :D

Am I the only one concerned that Ferram is trying to send 1000 TONNES to LEO!?!?!?!?!?!?

If anyone can do it, its him. He'll probably do it in style too.

I'm curious what the heck a 1,000 ton payload even looks like.