[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Two quick.. probably dumb questions, but the planet names... Are they not changed to the real ones or is something wrong with my install? Everything else is fine. Except one other thing... On load up version checker indicates RSS is out if date. RSS runs great though so ive been ignoring it for months.

I am. ..Before I got into RSS I've been using just the plugin provided by Proot's EVE pack. It gets rid of the horizon glow on stock Kerbin. I've seen this out of date message everyday since then. Several months. This is a fresh install of KSP and RSS. Is version checker looking for plugins outside GameData? The only thing I can think of is a rogue plugin file hiding somewhere

build id = 559

2014-07-25_13-00-35

Branch: master

Is all that's in buildID.

And you said to post whats in RealSolarSystem.version?

"VERSION": {

"MAJOR": 6,

"MINOR": 3

},

"KSP_VERSION": {

"MAJOR": 0,

"MINOR": 23,

"PATCH": 5

}

PS: How do I change launch sites?

Edited by Motokid600

Yeah. Go here and click on x64 if x64, x86 if x86 (32bit). Then click view raw to download the file.

Thanks, done. Jupiter and Venus are still weird but city lights are fixed and the other planets look gorgeous. Might try a fresh install anyway as some of the RO stuff is behaving a bit oddly at the moment. Thanks again for all the hard work.

Has anyone had something like 60% of the rocket engine selections not show up in the staging list? There doesn't seem to be any pattern. Also, gimbling doesn't seem to be working. All my rockets (The ones where I can get an engine installed) just go straight up with absolutely no control input by me being registered.

I must've tried doing the realism overhaul a thousand times now and something goes wrong everytime. This time the game is stable enough to launch, the parts show up in the VAB (although I'm not sure if this is correct but; there are only 2 parts for realchutes?") however, I think something is wrong with the atmospheric stats on Kerbin and deadly reentry, as I can hit space and halfway to orbit of a mk1 capsule with a single solid rocket booster. Also, according to the atmosphere instrument on the UI, I'm in space at 70k like stock kerbin, but I can't time accelerate. No flame effects from deadly reentry but crew still dies from over-g forces while falling through atmosphere.

I'm so lost and I really want to play RSS ><

I must've tried doing the realism overhaul a thousand times now and something goes wrong everytime. This time the game is stable enough to launch, the parts show up in the VAB (although I'm not sure if this is correct but; there are only 2 parts for realchutes?") however, I think something is wrong with the atmospheric stats on Kerbin and deadly reentry, as I can hit space and halfway to orbit of a mk1 capsule with a single solid rocket booster. Also, according to the atmosphere instrument on the UI, I'm in space at 70k like stock kerbin, but I can't time accelerate. No flame effects from deadly reentry but crew still dies from over-g forces while falling through atmosphere.

People can't really help you unless you post your logs, otherwise it's just speculation. Real Chutes definitely has more than 2 parts, unless you started a career mode save, it might only have two in the first tech tree node, I do not know. Getting halfway to orbit on a single SRB is possible, especially if you used a big one. The atmosphere indicator in UI may be broken, and overall shouldn't be trusted. If you can't time accelerate, then you are almost certainly still in the atmosphere.

I do however have a recommendation: Try installing things in steps. First make a fresh install of KSP and install only one thing: RSS (plus its textures, of course). Launch the game, verify that RSS works. Only once you are certain of that, install the other stuff. This way at least you will eliminate one big possible source of problems. If RSS works, but other things don't, then the next step is to take your logs, upload them to dropbox and post the link together with a description of the problem in the Realism Overhaul thread, as prescribed in the first post of that thread.

There should be four chute parts that Real Chutes comes with . Each one of them is configurable and resizable so four is all you need. (one cone chute with a single chute, one cone chute with two chutes (primary/secondary), one stack and one radial). I bet they're there and you've just miscounted ;)

Secondly, in RSS the atmosphere is that of EARTH. Not Kerbin. at 70km you are still in atmosphere! You have to get to 130km before you're free of atmosphere. So, no you have not reached space on a single SRB. You have to get to 100km (the Karman line) before you are actually 'in space'. But it's 130 (or higher) that you want for a stable orbit.

Deadly Reentry: You do not say what version it is, but yesterday's update (5.3) is broken. If you downloaded 5.3 then you need to do one of the following three things:

1. Revert to version 5.2 https://github.com/NathanKell/DeadlyReentry/releases
  2. Download the updated DRE dll that I uploaded https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xm97oycbsddfda/DeadlyReentry_5.3.hotfix.zip?dl=1
  3. Wait for Nathan to do an official update to fix the problem this evening.

Edit:

Oh, and although I did include information about Real Chutes in this reply, please don't look for support for that mod here. If it turns out that you genuinely do have a problem with it, post that in the Real Chutes thread next time. Same for Realism Overhaul. (and as was stated, they're going to want logs)

Edited by Starwaster

Is it the fish eye KSP puts on everything or is the Moons apparent diameter in RSS too small? The Moon's out tonight and it's easily double the diameter then what is it in game.

Edit: Pingopete I mustve seen that album a dozen times now and I cannot get over how good it looks. I cannot wait for your next release that is at the TOP of my hype list right now. Fantastic work.

Edited by Motokid600

Is it the fish eye KSP puts on everything or is the Moons apparent diameter in RSS too small? The Moon's out tonight and it's easily double the diameter then what is it in game.

I think the game is generally in quite a wide field of view, even though we see in a wider field of view the higher level of detail would make objects apparent size larger, I know what you mean though

Bop/Phobos: barrier at 20.000 m above ground kills my vessel.

I landed on Phobos, and when I try toleave it, everything works fine, until I hit 20,000m above „sealevel“.

Then the vessel gets acceleratedstrongly, some parts of it explode and it is thrown back to less then20,000m. Once it hits the barrier again it is completely destroyed. Itried several times with different speeds from my quicksave directlyafter launching from Phobos. The only thing I could achieve wasdestruction in one go.

I noticed two things that might behelpful:

a) The exit of Phobos SOI is not at theend of the vessel's trajectory, but discontinuous from it. (seescreenshothttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HjnvCVlg4eaUg5WU5KZXRyRkk/view?usp=sharing)

B) I could not warp before reaching24,500m. This is the same value as for stock Bop, and does not reallymake sense for Phobos. Is it intended to be this way?

I am using RSS (just downloaded again a few minutes ago), RO6.0V12, and a bunch of other mods (see below).

Thanks. :) (For the great mods + for (possible?) help)

Content of GameData:

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AJE

AutoSave

BoulderCo

build.txt

CrossFeedEnabler

CustomBiomes

DeadlyReentry

EngineIgnitor

FerramAerospaceResearch

FinalFrontier.dat

Firespitter

HabitatPack

KerbalAlarmClock_2.7.8.2

KerbalJointReinforcement

Klockheed_Martian

Klockheed_Martian_SmartParts

KSPLua

KWRocketry

MechJeb2

ModStatistics

Modulefixer.dll

ModuleManager.2.3.4.dll

ModuleRCSFX

NASAmission

NavyFish

Nereid

NodeResizer

NothkeSerCom

NovaPunch2

PartCatalog

ProceduralFairings

ProceduralParts

RealChute

RealFuels

RealismOverhaul

RealRoster

RealSolarSystem

RemoteTech2

Squad

ThunderAerospace

toolbar-settings.dat

Trajectories

TriggerTech

TweakScale

Screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HjnvCVlg4eaUg5WU5KZXRyRkk/view?usp=sharing

Logfile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HjnvCVlg4eaUg5WU5KZXRyRkk/view?usp=sharing

Lilienthal, Bop's SOI boundary is at 20 km (really, it should be right at the surface or below it, but that's not really possible in KSP). So the discontinuity between the speeds of your spacecraft before and after going through the SOI boundary is what's causing the spacecraft to explode. I think it depends in what direction you leave the SOI (try doing it towards normal up or down instead of prograde or retrograde). I would say also try to do it at time warp to see if it works then. You can use a mod that changes time warp altitudes, like Time Control, to get around the 24.5 km stock limit.

Metaphor,

Lilienthal, Bop's SOI boundary is at 20 km (really, it should be right at the surface or below it, but that's not really possible in KSP). So the discontinuity between the speeds of your spacecraft before and after going through the SOI boundary is what's causing the spacecraft to explode.

Yes, I think so too, it's the SOI boundary. However, it shouldn't be doing this. when crossing the boundary physical speed should not change (and usually doesn't), only the numbers change as the frame of reference changes.

So this is either an pretty nasty bug or a ....-up in my install.

I think it depends in what direction you leave the SOI (try doing it towards normal up or down instead of prograde or retrograde). I would say also try to do it at time warp to see if it works then. You can use a mod that changes time warp altitudes, like Time Control, to get around the 24.5 km stock limit.

I tried several velocities, but no time warp, as this wasnt working. Thanks for the tip with time control.

BTW, I saved my save by editing it and putting my craft outside of the Bop/Phobos SOI. So this is more a bug report than a request for help.

PS: Nice delta-v maps, metaphor.

Those are way better than mine....

Let me know if I can help you at all. I'm much more of a mapper than a graphic designer, so, while I've been able to get pretty good elevation maps going, the color maps are a pain. I have quite a few from NASA and other sources that are mostly good, but have some huge areas of low resolution that I've been trying to hand edit into looking good, but I'm guessing you'd have a lot better luck than me.

http://imgur.com/a/gL1KN

This Texture Pack from page 340/341 is still work in progress or already dead? I'm rly looking forward to get these :D

Yes, I think so too, it's the SOI boundary. However, it shouldn't be doing this. when crossing the boundary physical speed should not change (and usually doesn't), only the numbers change as the frame of reference changes.

I meant that Bop's SOI shouldn't be at 20 km above its surface, it should really be around 0 km based on its gravity and orbital radius. In RSS it's artificially inflated to 20 km so that you can actually land on it. So the speed is going to be discontinuous when going across the boundary, and that might be what's causing that bug (the parts of the ship that hit the SOI first start moving at a different speed from the other parts of the ship).

I meant that Bop's SOI shouldn't be at 20 km above its surface, it should really be around 0 km based on its gravity and orbital radius. In RSS it's artificially inflated to 20 km so that you can actually land on it. So the speed is going to be discontinuous when going across the boundary, and that might be what's causing that bug (the parts of the ship that hit the SOI first start moving at a different speed from the other parts of the ship).

Ah. Now I understand what you mean. This could explain it, even if the forces concerned probably shouldn't be big enough to rip the craft in two.

Quick back of the email calculation:

The craft was about 10t, so assuming Mars has 0.5g at the orbit of Phobos, and Phobos hat 0g, and half the craft was in phobos SOI and half in Mars, that would result in a force of about 25kN. Not that much, is it?

However, it can still be the reason, depending on how KSP calculates this. I didn't find a setting to change the SOI of Phobos.

Edit: Pingopete I mustve seen that album a dozen times now and I cannot get over how good it looks. I cannot wait for your next release that is at the TOP of my hype list right now. Fantastic work.

haha thanks! :D I'll put up a dl of where I'm at so far, probably tomorrow, just so you guys can play around with it, can't believe I missed the SS texture option! Just need biome controlled textures and we're talking spaceengine :)