[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

Just to clarify. The latest pre release RSS works fine for me. But I cannot get anything into space without RO.

And for some reason CKAN doesn't work at all, mod list is empty and "Refresh" just gives a connection error.

I understand that this is not a problem of RSS, but without lifting capability I cannot play the mod. My best rockets with stock reach 10-20,000 m/s, but that's hardly orbital missions ...

I probably have to try again in some months.

10,000 m/s as what... ÃŽâ€V?

You can get to LEO. Maybe you need to do something about your ascent profile. Even stock aero in KSP 1.0, you're not doing the 'straight up to 5km then turn 45 deg' anymore. Start your turn earlier about when you hit 100m/s

(you still do want larger parts though for heavy lift capability, but even stock parts can get you to orbit if you're launching light. It all depends on what you're launching)

You can get to LEO. Maybe you need to do something about your ascent profile. Even stock aero in KSP 1.0, you're not doing the 'straight up to 5km then turn 45 deg' anymore. Start your turn earlier about when you hit 100m/s

(you still do want larger parts though for heavy lift capability, but even stock parts can get you to orbit if you're launching light. It all depends on what you're launching)

he says "hardly". that indicates that he says he can get to LEO, but not much more. also, 20km/s² gets you to the moon and back(with landing), too.

Installed all the latest dev versions of RO RSS etc, and i seem to be getting a pretty soupy atmosphere, re-entry heating most of the way up, and heating at 95km going down at ~4km/s. maybe something's just up with my install of far. :/

jrandom: that's...random. Link dead though.

Vannort86: I'd say try again, github can be annoying. If it's still a problem over a few days let me know and I'll see if I can find an alternate method for you.

Dr. Walther: Have you posted on the CKAN thread? CKAN folks are quite good about helping people get CKAN working (although as mentioned, there isn't a release of RO for 1.0 out for CKAN, though one is expected quite soon). Meanwhile you can download just realfuels and stockalike engine configs and that should give you decently efficient rockets. If even that is too much, try this cfg that will just apply to regular old parts and make them more efficient: http://pastebin.com/DYvg603b

Grav parameter is the product of mass and Big G. For some bodies that's known to more significant figures than just mass.

rotationPeriod is how quickly the planet rotates. I'd suggest leaving it alone. SMA, however, you would want to reduce some.

blub01: KSP engines are somewhere between 4 and 7x too heavy, yeah. Tanks are about 2-4x too heavy (depending on the use case).

Blacks: I'm sorry to say I'm having real trouble understanding what you're saying. Can you try again? I'm aware that changing Kerbin's name to Earth like that can cause trouble for EVE, but EVE has enough issues as it is on 1.0, and it would be really, really annoying to have all the other bodies' names correct but Earth's wrong. EVE works fine with DDS for everything that doesn't have to be kept readable; due to an issue in KSP, no DDS textures are loaded as readable which means the cloud mask can't be DDS.

Another issue with EVE is indeed that it has trouble with Kopernicus PQS shaders.

Thomas P.: as I mentioned in IRC, it's because the RSS plugin does things other than body-changing (and now that's all it does, since Kopernicus handles the body-changing).

SirKeplan: Are you using FAR? If not, that's your problem. If you are, things should certainly not be soupy (unless your LV has horrid transonic drag). As for reentry FX (not heating, FX) that's a known issue with 1.0.2 and we hope it'll be better tunable in 1.0.3. Certainly you should be getting heating at 95km and 4km/sec--not much, but some.

I've been trying to use your mod for a long time... Tried installing it 333 times and this is all I get:

http://s12.postimg.org/7gjx0e0sd/KSP_2015_06_14_02_01_22_715.jpg <- No Space Center, no planet...

Fresh install, new career game, only your mod installed.

http://s15.postimg.org/79ohpkzwb/Capture.jpg

File I downloaded is called RSSv10PRE and it's the one you've linked here.

I'm using the 8192 textures downloaded from your link in the first post.

Please give me a hand!

Edit: Just tried the 4096 textures, same result.

Edited by JeeF

jrandom: that's...random. Link dead though.

SirKeplan: Are you using FAR? If not, that's your problem. If you are, things should certainly not be soupy (unless your LV has horrid transonic drag). As for reentry FX (not heating, FX) that's a known issue with 1.0.2 and we hope it'll be better tunable in 1.0.3. Certainly you should be getting heating at 95km and 4km/sec--not much, but some.

for me, the heating starts between 100km and 90km, at somewhere inbetween 80km and 70km, it starts burning through ablator like crazy, and i think that's fine - anything below a periapsis of 60 with a 160 apoapsis kills you.(in that case, i had exactly 0.01 units of ablator left, btw).

Edited by blub01

If even that is too much, try this cfg that will just apply to regular old parts and make them more efficient: http://pastebin.com/DYvg603b

NathanKell, Thank you very much! I have installed this cfg and this appears to be exactly the kind of solution that I am looking for (at least until something more complete is available).

Can't yet say if it works, but the parts changed parameters (for example: LV-909 went from 0.5t to 0.2t and thrust from 60 tp 96). So it appears changes are in effect, now I got to see if I can make meaningful spacecraft.

Who created the MiniRO.cfg by the way? I'd hate to lose such an elegant solution because I don't know how to contact the author for how it works.

EDIT1: Is it intended that with the new config spacecraft like KerbalX are suitable for suborbital flights only?

EDIT2: A ship that previously gave me 2,400m/s (orbital speed) now gives me 3,600m/s, so deltaV seem roughly increased by a factor 1.5. Intended?

And to all TSS newbies who like me: Follow the link of NathanKell, then copy&paste the "raw paste data" into a text file, and rename that MiniRo.cfg. Put it in your \gamedata folder and it should be in effect the next time you load KSP. If all works, parts should have adjusted parameters to get you into orbit.

- - - Updated - - -

10 - 20 km/s deltaV total with carefully designed stages, inlcluding NERVA, ION drive etc. I will certainly not use that to barely get from Earth, into orbit and perhaps a little bit beyond, and pretend that this is the way to play the game! The new config for all parts that is adjusted to RSS is what I am talking about, not somehow getting the stock parts to produce the (fantastic) numbers that I need.

Edited by Dr. Walther

I've been trying to use your mod for a long time... Tried installing it 333 times and this is all I get:

http://s12.postimg.org/7gjx0e0sd/KSP_2015_06_14_02_01_22_715.jpg <- No Space Center, no planet...

Fresh install, new career game, only your mod installed.

http://s15.postimg.org/79ohpkzwb/Capture.jpg

File I downloaded is called RSSv10PRE and it's the one you've linked here.

I'm using the 8192 textures downloaded from your link in the first post.

Please give me a hand!

Edit: Just tried the 4096 textures, same result.

I think you got the older version of textures (the ones linked on the first page), they have changed for RSS10. Delete your RSSTextures folder and download the textures from here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases

NathanKell ok let be more clear IF you will modifies code line "name = Kerbin" with "name = Earth" it will cause a chain reaction in all planetary dependency what is in cfg script aka like example moon he will not know what's his reference point aka debug panel it will be flood with msg, yes that name it can be change but it require to change more code line inside that cfg file to make all work correct & not make KSP mad :) & yes i agree with you it will be really annoying to have all other bodies name correct but that not, yes 100% agree

& now to part what you was make me have a "Arhimede" moment will quote you: EVE works fine with DDS for everything that doesn't have to be kept readable; due to an issue in KSP, no DDS textures are loaded as readable which means the cloud mask can't be DDS.

EUREKA!!!!! EVRIKA!!! key word of problem dds + not readable

& now let take step by step you say "Eve work fine with DDS" perfect!!! but you add IF they are > readable < this is main key of all problem ;) all EVE engine need texture to be readable not only cloud, see how that new TERRAIN plugin work & what rbray it trie to implement in new version (Overhaul) ... aka it have same problem like cloud aka terrain plugin get mad when find dds because it want what ???? > readable texture < ... is like a infinite loop error :)

You say "Another issue with EVE is indeed that it has trouble with Kopernicus PQS shaders." well back to what i say few moment agow: EVE + KSP + DDS they are not happy each other way coz i will quote you agen "cloud mask can't be DDS." aka correction " TERRAIN & cloud mask can't be DDS." aka all RSS shaders in end it use DDS = see RSS-Texture Pack ;) aka now you find problem aka now me i understand way the keck planet end in be white or have funky, crazy texture & KSP generate exception!!!!

About Thomas P comment well Kopernicus is foundation of planetary system > RSS is final touch what take that foundation & make it real, both need to exist or more correct to coexist, both mod are like small demi-GOD!!! same Eve, Scatter need to exist same coz they are artistic demiGod of game & because all of your work (all mod''ers creation/work), game get to a next lvl be more human, more shiny, more <insert how much epitet u want) & for that all KSP community it need to give u a million thx

p.s. all mod are a piece of puzzle in KSP world what make it better, nicer ....

p.s. sorry for my eng

take care & cya around

Edited by Blacks

A short feedback concerning the MiniRO.cfg that Nathan suggested http://pastebin.com/DYvg603b

First of all: It works! I could get into orbit using the largest rockets available in KSP. There is huge potential for more. As I wrote earlier, the config seems to scale up deltaV roughly by a factor 1.5. Which is still not much considering that orbital speed requirement is almost 5 times (10,000 vs 2,300), but it helps immensely. The game feels harder as the rockets have immense structural problems now, I think this can make the game challenging and more realistic. SAS seems to want to rip rockets apart, so I mostly had to fly without it (no struts or anything)

Thanks again Nathan, for providing me with a way to play the mod!

The only remaining concern would be, is MiniRo.cfg subject to change, or does it already represent the intended scale to within a few percent? I don't mind either way, it is just ovious that if it is just a quick solution, making any calculations (and ship designs) based on it now would be rather worthless.

The other remaining question is, is there is already a way to use this mod with clouds on Earth? (and hopefully Venus, Mars, Titan) I think I will spend a lot of time exploring the Moon for now (so Venus etc may come later), and fortunately it does not need any clouds. But having clouds on Earth would be even more realistic, so I of course want to enable that as soon as it is available.

Anyway. To celebrate an historic event for me (my first successful flight with RSS) I made this image. It shows the Moon from my first Earth orbit, shot with the telescope from HullCam VDS. The telescope mod seems to work fine in RSS for close moons etc. Not for planets though. The mods setting would need to be upscaled to, but that is no concern because I can see everything that's within the range of the telescope, and the planets are simply too far away in the real solar system. Though Mars, Jupiter et al should allow at least some observation.

KSP%202015-06-14%2012-18-47-23.jpg

Edited by Dr. Walther

The other remaining question is, is there is already a way to use this mod with clouds on Earth? (and hopefully Venus, Mars, Titan) I think I will spend a lot of time exploring the Moon for now (so Venus etc may come later), and fortunately it does not need any clouds. But having clouds on Earth would be even more realistic, so I of course want to enable that as soon as it is available.

if want clouds, atmospheric effect or more thingy to get more immersion with game u need to use EVE (Environmental Visual Enhancements) + AVP (astronomers visual pack) or KSPRC (Renaissance Compilation: artworks remake) mod or any combination u will like, i recommand for moment to stick to 7.4 Eve version, but u need to be aware it can make game to become unstable depend how many other mod's u use, how close u are to memory limit, how strong pc u have :)

if want clouds, atmospheric effect or more thingy to get more immersion with game u need to use EVE (Environmental Visual Enhancements) + AVP (astronomers visual pack) or KSPRC (Renaissance Compilation: artworks remake) mod or any combination u will like, i recommand for moment to stick to 7.4 Eve version, but u need to be aware it can make game to become unstable depend how many other mod's u use, how close u are to memory limit, how strong pc u have :)

So EVE does work with this? I just thought because of the different topography it could get into trouble, e.g. when adding the city lights.

Warp11 yes it work if u will spend time to readjust all config data from cloudLayers.cfg & rest (Eve 7.4 version, for Eve new test version all it need to be done from scratch, from 0 coz many thing are change) to RSS planetary system BUT IF it is anything what it will interference with dds texture then nightmare it strike see what i write on previous post about EVE + RSS + Kopernicus + DSS

Why Triton looks so strange? It's really has such smooth territories?

I assume this is simply because no one knows how the missing portion of Triton looks like. The texture shows all that could be seen by Voyager when it made a fly.

Some years ago, I did however make a Triton texture that tries to fill in those blanks. About 1/2 of the map is phantasy, by copying real terrain from the known 1/2.

We are never going to know how it looks in reality, unless we send another spacecraft, and that would take 10 years and more to get there.

I don't know if it helps the maker of this mod, but I thought I might make it available just in case. I have also tried to create such "completed" textures for Rhea, Europa and some other moons.

Full resolution (4096x2048), ca 6 Mbyte

http://www.global-explorer.de/20150613/triton-fill-4Kx2K.jpg

Preview

triton-fill-512x256.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Warp11 yes it work if u will spend time to readjust all config data from cloudLayers.cfg & rest (Eve 7.4 version, for Eve new test version all it need to be done from scratch, from 0 coz many thing are change) to RSS planetary system BUT IF it is anything what it will interference with dds texture then nightmare it strike see what i write on previous post about EVE + RSS + Kopernicus + DSS

I tried to install EVE before, but all it did was overwrite the Earth with Kerbin. so it does not work out of the box. Of course if you can make all required changes in the config files, it would eventually work, but how am I supposed to know how to do this? Even if I could learn everything that I need to know, I might as well make my own cloud mod then ;) But if you know how to do it, it might be a much better idea if you release what you have done, so that we can all benefit from it too!

Edited by Dr. Walther

Dr. Walther well i know that felling when you say: "I tried to install EVE before, but all it did was overwrite the Earth with Kerbin. so it does not work out of the box." i been there & i am still there to, aka having problem to get thing work how i want :)

that i recommand KSPRC (Renaissance Compilation: artworks remake) it a a pack made by person what was set together some mod & make it work nice, all u need to fallow his instruction, there other pack to ... hope none it will get offend i was not ... :cool:

p.s. i can't release any work what i done coz i will brake ruls about ... & i will be force to ... but suggest thing & give feedback all we can do it, same thing it aplie to make u'r own mod & release it ;)

A short feedback concerning the MiniRO.cfg that Nathan suggested http://pastebin.com/DYvg603b

First of all: It works! I could get into orbit using the largest rockets available in KSP. There is huge potential for more. As I wrote earlier, the config seems to scale up deltaV roughly by a factor 1.5. Which is still not much considering that orbital speed requirement is almost 5 times (10,000 vs 2,300), but it helps immensely. The game feels harder as the rockets have immense structural problems now, I think this can make the game challenging and more realistic. SAS seems to want to rip rockets apart, so I mostly had to fly without it (no struts or anything)

Thanks again Nathan, for providing me with a way to play the mod!

The only remaining concern would be, is MiniRo.cfg subject to change, or does it already represent the intended scale to within a few percent? I don't mind either way, it is just ovious that if it is just a quick solution, making any calculations (and ship designs) based on it now would be rather worthless.

Anyway. To celebrate an historic event for me (my first successful flight with RSS) I made this image. It shows the Moon from my first Earth orbit, shot with the telescope from HullCam VDS. The telescope mod seems to work fine in RSS for close moons etc. Not for planets though. The mods setting would need to be upscaled to, but that is no concern because I can see everything that's within the range of the telescope, and the planets are simply too far away in the real solar system. Though Mars, Jupiter et al should allow at least some observation.

http://www.global-explorer.de/20150613/KSP%202015-06-14%2012-18-47-23.jpg

i got into orbit with 1.25 meter parts if i recall correctly, not using this miniRO.cfg. you don't really need those huge parts, you should always start with the smallest part spossible, then, if that is not enough, go bigger, it makes your rockets a lot smaller.

I cannot get anything into space without RO.

[...snip...]

without lifting capability I cannot play the mod. My best rockets with stock reach 10-20,000 m/s, but that's hardly orbital missions ...

I recommend either BobCat or KOCMOC engin pack, simple MM patch to make FASA engines realistical, F-1 engine maybe ("lo-q" version already eats kerosene), maybe NearFuturePropulsion and RLA_ElectricEngines, and - essential - FAR + ProceduralParts + ProceduralFairings.

I do not know how ProceduralParts interact with RealFuels TBH, but PP has its own fuel switcher and it is easy to add more tank configs, change tankage mass etc etc. ModuleManager rulez.

Edited to add: and of course KerbalJointReinforcement a.k.a KJR - will have wobble-fest w/o it.

- - - Updated - - -

it will interference with dds texture then nightmare it strike
Just do not convert normal maps, cloud layers auroras and lightning into .dds (leave them as they were), and that's all :-)

This is because respective modules will need to read them, not only VGA. Also, telling ATM that You don't want some textures to be "hidden" from RAM (present only in VRAM) helps sometimes.

Edited by cipherpunks

Hello,in previous version of KSP i used this to get rid of white atmosfere,but now it's not working anymore.

REALSOLARSYSTEM
{
Kerbin
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.032
innerRadiusMult = 0.958
waveLength = 0.9251, 0.5616, 0.4291, 0.8
//invWaveLength = 0.75, 0.82, 0.89, 0.55
}
}
Duna
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.032
innerRadiusMult = 0.964
waveLength = 0.5125, 0.571, 0.619, 0.25
}
}
Eve
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.032
innerRadiusMult = 0.970
waveLength = 0.49, 0.5, 0.53, 1.0
}
}
Laythe
{
AtmosphereFromGround
{
outerRadiusMult = 1.028
innerRadiusMult = 0.965
waveLength = 0.7510373, 0.6710546, 0.5759027, 0.8
}
}
}

I'll really appreciate if someone could help me with this.Thank you

Edited by sebi.zzr

sebi.zzr is simple all u need to doo if u have install RSSv10PRE version open >>> RSSKopernicus.cfg <<< & look on each planet u need, all code line is there, be ware it is a looooot coding ;) hope it will help :)

cipherpunks yup i figured today that part with dds & eve, thx for eureka moment after NathanKell was replay!!! Me i was hope with new dev Eve version it will be possible to convert all to dds but is seams no success, cross finger that day to came :)

I stop use ATM & i prefer to tune, adjust manually each texture, each piece what is inside the game, all i need to figure is way the fraking hell each load between vab or sph & launch site it make game to grow with ~~100 mb ram usage aka from 2.5 G initial fresh game load it goo after 6 switch it goo to 3.2 G (depend not always thing are goo soo fast) & off course it crash when it hit magic limit but i know 1. i heavy mod game (around 160-170 mod according CKAN) 2. most mod are not perfect 3. kps have his leaking problem part ... but i will figure sooner or later

RSS it's been running really well for me, but a couple of issues popped up last night. Now, I'm running 64 bit Windows hack so I don't expect any support, but just want folks to be aware. Also, the log file is over 250 MB, so that's not attached. Also, this is using the 0.0.8 Kopernicus.

First, something odd that I noticed looking at the log:

[LOG 03:16:47.172] Planet namethe Sun Planet index 0

[LOG 03:16:47.173] Planet nameEarth Planet index 1

[LOG 03:16:47.173] Planet namethe Ganymede Planet index 2

[LOG 03:16:47.174] Planet namethe Dione Planet index 3

[LOG 03:16:47.174] Planet namethe Rhea Planet index 4

A rough comparison with RSSKoperincus.cfg seems to point to anything using "Sun" or "Mun" as a template gets "the" added to it. I don't know if that's a problem, it just seems weird and unintended.

Now, the real problem. Several times the game stopped responding while I was sending some probes to the Moon. The log is getting spammed with entries like this:

About 400,000 messages about Titan:

[LOG 03:17:50.998] OD: ERROR: getting attribute with unloaded CBmap for Titan of path RSS-Textures/PluginData/TitanBiomes.png, ignore = False

Then those messages interspersed with entries about Earth and Moon:

[LOG 04:32:40.636] OD: ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map for Moon of path RSS-Textures/PluginData/MoonHeight.dds, ignore = False

[LOG 04:35:33.890] OD: ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map for Earth of path RSS-Textures/PluginData/EarthHeight.dds, ignore = False

Overall about 1.8 million of these error messages. I can't fathom why it wants to know anything about Titan at any point, and by the timestamps the Moon and Earth were what really slammed it at the end.

Workaround? "OD:" implies that it's the on demand loading, so I edited RSSKopernicus.cfg and changed it to say "useOnDemand = false". That seems to have cleared up the problem, but that's only really practical since I'm using 64 bit hack.

There are a lot of variables that could have been causing problems: 64 bit, 0.0.8 Kopernicus, hard disk load, running videos on my 2nd monitor, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

When in the Moon's SoI I get a lot of spam in the debug menu:

http://i.imgur.com/gLQ46Ot.png

No mods except the latest RSS pre. It gives the same error in both OpenGL, Dx11 and Dx9.

Log is here.

I think I got ninja'd.

I do not know how ProceduralParts interact with RealFuels TBH, but PP has its own fuel switcher and it is easy to add more tank configs, change tankage mass etc etc. ModuleManager rulez.

It works just fine, even adds the possibility to switch tank types.