[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

You're thinking of Kopernicus, and it's in that zip. I believe pingopete has started work on RVE-for-1.0 but I'm not sure of the status. I don't think we support NFSP yet... For solar panels, we do support NF solar panels at least. Also AIES. For engines, use RO. RftS hasn't been updated in like a year :\

You're thinking of Kopernicus, and it's in that zip. I believe pingopete has started work on RVE-for-1.0 but I'm not sure of the status. I don't think we support NFSP yet... For solar panels, we do support NF solar panels at least. Also AIES. For engines, use RO. RftS hasn't been updated in like a year :\

Got it! Now if I can just figure out this Procedural Parts issue... do I need to delete a .cfg from somewhere? Add one?

Edit: Entire Log File, which I should have provided from the get-go. I know better, damnit!

Edit 2: I disabled (renamed) that RFSRB.cfg file in Procedural Parts. I don't actually know if this breaks anything else, but it loaded! Woo! Now to play around and see what works and what doesn't.

Edit 3: Oh drat. RealFuels doesn't appear to be functioning, as in there's no UI button or options to fill tanks. All tanks are, however, completely empty so it's partly there. Argh. Wait... do I need to also install the stock RF configs w/ the assumption that RO will override its settings?

Edit 4: Before I quit and hack away at RF, lemme just take a look at Jupiter in the tracking st... OMGIT'SBEAUTIFULIN8K

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit 5: Leaving the tracking station and going back in shows borked mouse zoom and the solar system vanishes into the distance but I think I saw someone else here mention that already...

Edit 6: Including the stock engines config with RealFuel (via CKAN) breaks loading (constant freeze-ups on various engines). So uh... what am I missing about RealFuels and RSS/RO?

Edit 7: Calling it a night for now, gonna go play some stereoscopic 3D Skyrim and start with a fresh from-the-ground-up RSS install again tomorrow. What I glimpsed tonight was ridiculously promising. Nathan (and all you others too numerous to name because I have a horrible memory for names), thank you for all of your efforts. Also, money spent on 64-bit linux laptop with hefty GPU and processor? Totally Worth It. :)

Edited by jrandom

my rocket exploded when I attempt to land it at Kenndy Space Center,at a atittude of 1400m,it's said that the rockiet crushed into the surface……

landing somewhere else is ok……

my rocket exploded when I attempt to land it at Kenndy Space Center,at a atittude of 1400m,it's said that the rockiet crushed into the surface……

landing somewhere else is ok……

I can confirm. I did a few tests: at about 1475-1485m there is an invisible barrier. Passing through from below is no problem (just camera glitch), but coming down has a similar effect to hitting a surface. When approaching the barrier fast, craft explodes, when approaching slowly, it doesn't explode, but after a few jerks, it passes through the barrier. After that, control is lost, but the craft physics work, it glides down on the parachutes I inflated before. I can right click tanks, but not use throttle etc.

When arriving at the ground it lands normally.

So congrats to Nathan et al., you invented a protective force field. But maybe this was not your intention.

PS: clean 1.02 install on windows with only RSS installed, 8192 textures.

Important safety tip for those attempting the dev version with RealFuels -- you absolutely have to download RealFuels by itself (eg. not through CKAN) and you must use the SolverEngines plugin contained within, not from any other mod or CKAN or Stuff Will Break. :)

Edit: Say... ah... what's this engine group thingy I see in the tweakables menu now? That's new.

Edit 2: My RealChute on top of my command module is failing at 33kP of pressure. Is that right? (Eg. going Mach 1.2 at 6km is too fast?)

Edit 3: It's not the pressure. It's like I'm hitting a solid invisible barrier at 6km, so that happens on the way up, not just on the way down.

Edit 4: At 13km suddenly everything explodes as the pod instantly gains a velocity of over 1000m/s. I'm going to do a clean game load, launch rocket, and then I'll post the .log file here.

Edit 5: RSSInvisibleBarrier_Player.log.zip - Small barrier at 6km, enough force to rip off chute. Super solid barrier or something at 13km that destroys entire vessel. I blame Darth Vader.

Edited by jrandom

every day i check this site to see how well the update is coming along. thank you so much for making this :D

i wonder how hard it would be to add alpha centauri (the nearest star besides our own sun), picture how epic that 4.37 light year journey would be :3

Nathan, this made my weekend! RSS and RO turn KSP from the best game ever into, well, the bestest game ever-est.

A couple bugs I've noticed (sorry if this is in the wrong place: this is my first forum post, and my first attempt to write a bug report for anything at all. I couldn't figure out how to take a video of it though, sorry.)

KSP 1.0.2 Windows 7 (64-bit OS, 32-bit KSP)

Mods installed: RSSv10Pre, Hyperedit 1.4.1

Problem 1: Deimos surface and collision mesh aren't identical, especially at the poles.

Reproduction steps: Launch ship, get to Deimos, land, watch ship drop through the ground and go boom. It doesn't happen all the time at moderate latitudes, but at North Pole near the spike, the terrain is very, well, spiky. I landed at the poles safely, EVAed to the top of the spike, and when I was coming down to get back to the ship, it dropped into the terrain and then exploded. A non-explosive version of dropping through the terrain is seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mgx3b02h9epmf7/screenshot983.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bag3nnqsxobg51/screenshot981.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o74ztp4f9o0b1qn/screenshot982.png?dl=0

Problem 2: Orbiting Deimos or Phobos makes Mercury, Venus, and Earth appear outside their orbits on the map screen

Reproduction steps: Get into Phobos or Deimos orbit (it's inconsistent with Phobos, but seems to happen all the time with Deimos), go to map view, watch the three inner planets wander out of their orbits. If you hover your cursor over them, their altitudes above the sun will be correct, but they appear to be orbiting the moon you're in orbit around. Going back to the Tracking Station or the Space Center seem to fix it. (The first picture below is from a different instance than the other three.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/264qa9dwbt07hwn/screenshot989.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jj5honvdottk5od/screenshot968.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsf6rune2czi58p/screenshot969.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ti0ifzws6tu8lk/screenshot970.png?dl=0

Problem 3: Going to the Space Center can cause the map to zoom out to infinity.

Reproduction steps: start game, go to tracking station, watch map zoom out. Selecting any specific object, including a planet, will stop it.

Problem 4 (I'm guessing this is a KSP problem rather than and RSS one): When approaching Phobos or Deimos at high speed, the trajectory seems, well, drunk.

Reproduction steps: approach intersection with Phobos or Deimos at several km/s, and while in the frame of reference or Mars or your ship, zoom into see the trajectory through the moon go crazy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eth1vgsq5undixi/screenshot962.png?dl=0

I hope I did that right, and apologize if I didn't, or put it in the wrong place. Let me know if you want log files or something else.

PS: Yes, I used the infinite fuel cheat to get that to Deimos and Phobos.

PPS: I love the Deimos polar spike; it seems marvelously Kerbal. But touching it is instant death for Kerbals, even at a couple m/s, as witness:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aui22w6evix9oqt/screenshot925.png?dl=0

Yes that would be cool... though not sure how we could get there in a reasonable time....

... Ultra timewarp! Sure, the Kerbals will have destroyed and rebuilt their civilization a few times over in the interim but you'll arrive at a new star!

yeah but Jrandom but if you sent a maned mission, your kerbals would be long dead before they got there..... no way to bring enough food water and air, and not enough eletric to run things like green houses... even if that was not a problem, your mission crew would have died of old age before they got there

I working on the 10x kerbol port to Kopernicus. I have most of it done but I working on a few final details. For the 10x kerbol series I don't know if I will need RSS. The only thing left in RSS besides the Kopernicus configuration is the time wrapper modifier. I think an external mod exist for that already.

yeah but Jrandom but if you sent a maned mission, your kerbals would be long dead before they got there..... no way to bring enough food water and air, and not enough eletric to run things like green houses... even if that was not a problem, your mission crew would have died of old age before they got there

And there's the basis for a mod - actually a whole expansion!! Populate with a handful of the nearest stars and their bodies. Add more "nearfuture" parts. Create generation ships. Expand refueling stations into permanently habitable "waystations".

I want to play this already!!!!

Note to all: The download link to RSS10pre has been updated to no longer have the camera shake and the invisible wall. Please redownload and try that. Your textures can stay as they are.

jrandom: I'm about to release yet another RF update (I broke a bit in 10.1). Hopefully that will sort out your issues. I'm surprised that the version of solverengines on CKAN doesn't work for the version of RF on CKAN, but eh. I'll sort it out. Sorry.

I'll check the higher barriers (although Real Chute doesn't allow popping any chute supersonic, AFAIK--I generally wait until 200m/s to even pop a drogue).

Arctic Sesquipedalian: Thanks for the reports! I was unable to replicate problems landing on Deimos but I have not investigated intensely and maybe was at a safe latitude. That tracking station stuff is just seriously weird, good find!

Problem 4 is due to the fact that Phobos and Deimos would technically have SoIs that are at their surface, more or less; the SoIs are artificially increased to make being in their SoI possible, but that makes the transfer between another SoI and them (or vice versa) kinda buggy, because the gravitational forces are _not_ in balance at SoI transition for them.

jsimmons: if you use Finalize {} you can more or less port the entire old config over wholesale.

actually i could see that prnoes.... anther option would be some way to accelerate to a respectable percentage of light speed.. I know the Orion nuke pulse rocket could do it... I think some of the theoretical plasma engines or maybe something like a nervana?

Note to all: The download link to RSS10pre has been updated to no longer have the camera shake and the invisible wall. Please redownload and try that. Your textures can stay as they are.

Yay! Installing now!

(although Real Chute doesn't allow popping any chute supersonic, AFAIK--I generally wait until 200m/s to even pop a drogue).

Whoops, I should have clarified. The undeployed chute on the top of my rocket was exploding on the way up. Kinda hard to come back down safely without one. :)

Edit: No good. I toggled the engine on and off so I could climb to 6km at a measley 50m/s and right at 6km the chute pops off. Wasn't armed or anything. I'm going to remove RealChutes and see if that's been causing some sort of conflict, since others here aren't reporting this particular issue. Oddly enough, the F3 events window shows no messages. No aero failures, nothing. On a positive note, I'm no longer seeing the camera jump at 1km.

Edit 2: When going back into any building after a flight, the zoom flies back to maximum distance. Possibly the same issue we've been seeing in the tracking station.

Edit 3: The new 10Pre is the same link you posted back on page 546 or so, yes?

Edit 4: Looks like it's RealChute. Something to jot down and sort out later. :) Stock chute does not suffer a 6km altitude existence failure.

Edited by jrandom

Question: Is Deadly Reentry properly configured for RSS/RO? I'm seeing serious reentry heating and visual/audio effects much higher up (90-80km) and at slower speeds (2000m/s during the last test I did) than I remember from the last time I was playing RSS back in .25.

Is the pre10 only on CKAN or github too?

After trying to land on Titan, I noticed some big issues with it.

he atmosphere suddenly starts at 50k and has high drag at this altitude.

Also, where I landed turned out to be all water and I looked around and it seemed to be the case for everywhere.

And even though the atmosphere starts at 50k, you can only timewarp at 130k and up.

Jeremy, i was so lucky because i could able to find a small cute island inside of whole metan ocean under me when i arrived to Titan :P I think we need Science! mod first and we need to get Titan's altitute map with Science altitute radar to find where should we land on

Edit 2: When going back into any building after a flight, the zoom flies back to maximum distance. Possibly the same issue we've been seeing in the tracking station.

Just want to mention that I see this often in stock when reverting to launch/VAB, so I am not sure that this is a RSS bug.

The prerelease is spread across three repos on github. That's why I made the zip, linked a bit back. That's the link you should download, the post has installation instructions.

Regarding VAB/SPH zoom: that's from hangar extender (or stock, if you don't have that), RSS no longer does anything to VAB/SPH.

RO is necessary for correct heating.

Jeremy Clarkson03: as mentioned upthread some atmospheres have issues. Redownload the prerelease archive, they should be fixed now.

I will check out Titan re: mega-oceans.

jsimmons: if you use Finalize {} you can more or less port the entire old config over wholesale.

Thanks Nathan. Its a god send!!! For some reason the PQS setup with Finalize renders in a different way than using the other method. Plus the other benefit of Finalize is that I don't have to supply the default height maps for every body thus keeping my mod light weight.