[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

The reason is pretty simple. Image compression seems to smooth over the sheer drops. For example, compare the before and after heightmaps of the Ophir and Candor Chasma.

http://imgur.com/a/ymDS6

Ignore the brightness differences, the original picture wasn't normalized, so it seems much darker than it really is.

Here's the map after taking it through the script. I haven't tested this at all, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

I see it now too.. The funny thing is that it's not even image compression, but some issue with the output format. I had a look at the histogram and the whole thing is skewed far to the dark end of the spectrum. I'll give your map a try tomorrow, but I'm also going to tweak the output to see if I can get a larger dynamic range.

Where can I find properly made colour and normal maps for mars(in the correct format). I've got no image editing software or such unfortunately... There is the link by @Ralathon but the free textures are very low resolution

Where can I find properly made colour and normal maps for mars(in the correct format). I've got no image editing software or such unfortunately... There is the link by @Ralathon but the free textures are very low resolution

Patience, I think he and SpacedInvader are actually working on those. Give them a few days.

Patience, I think he and SpacedInvader are actually working on those. Give them a few days.

Nathan said a few posts back that he'd take care of the scaled space model. So I assume he'll take care of the normal and color maps as well.

Hmm, ok. I'm not gonna be going there within the next couple of weeks anyway. Beyond that, there was a texture/height/nrm pack posted for the Moon a while back, but the texture is rotated wrong, can that be fixed simply by moving the flipping textures up 90 degrees(equivalent) in the .png file?

Has anyone already paid the bandwidth fee for those Mars textures BTW? Just wanting to make sure RSS-club doesn't spend twice.

ANWRocketMan: yes, I've mentioned upthread that the normal map is flipped for what KSP wants. If you go to the RSS github you'll see I've uploaded corrected textures. However, there's a deeper problem with the textures, which is that they're from different datasets and don't align right (some craters are 1-2 pixels offset in the diffuse vs. the heightmap, for example).

ANWRocketMan: yes, I've mentioned upthread that the normal map is flipped for what KSP wants. If you go to the RSS github you'll see I've uploaded corrected textures. However, there's a deeper problem with the textures, which is that they're from different datasets and don't align right (some craters are 1-2 pixels offset in the diffuse vs. the heightmap, for example).

Sorry for the satetemtns/questions. I haven't been paying as much attention to the thread as I should have. I think I can deal with that offset for now.

I have installed this mod into the GameData folder and started KSP but when I start a game, new or saved, I can's see Kerbal at all. The bar at the bottom is there with the exit and time-warp buttons but there is no space centre. If I press the time warp buttons, Kerbol and Mun pass across my screen occasionally as well as the background changing from black to stars intermittently. I have tried clicking everywhere on the screen just in case the space centre was there but not visible but I had no success.

The only other mods I have installed so far are part based mods along with the ActiveTextureManager mod and KSP was working fine before I installed this mod. I have removed it and the problem is gone so the problem is certainly related to this mod.

Spent a couple of hours trying to find a solution so far but no luck, any help would be appreciated.

Has anyone already paid the bandwidth fee for those Mars textures BTW? Just wanting to make sure RSS-club doesn't spend twice.

According to the FAQ, the MOLA data is public domain and free to use. Or am I being a noob and there is actually a different fee?

I have installed this mod into the GameData folder and started KSP but when I start a game, new or saved, I can's see Kerbal at all. The bar at the bottom is there with the exit and time-warp buttons but there is no space centre. If I press the time warp buttons, Kerbol and Mun pass across my screen occasionally as well as the background changing from black to stars intermittently. I have tried clicking everywhere on the screen just in case the space centre was there but not visible but I had no success.

The only other mods I have installed so far are part based mods along with the ActiveTextureManager mod and KSP was working fine before I installed this mod. I have removed it and the problem is gone so the problem is certainly related to this mod.

Spent a couple of hours trying to find a solution so far but no luck, any help would be appreciated.

Same thing has happened to me and i found out the ksc is actually under the ground, so i angled the camera so it would be under ground and was able to launch a plane but as soon as I got to the ground the plane explode as it passed from underground to above.

Edited by Kingster8128

@NathanKell: Why are the images for Earth reversed? When trying to evaluate how well the heightmaps are doing in KSP, I've been trying to place myself near landmarks like Olympus Mons or Ophir Chasma, but I can never be sure I'm putting in the right coordinates because sometimes it seems like your flipped maps are correct and other it seems like non-flipped maps are what is needed.

The maps need to be flipped due to KSP's weird requirements(if I remember correctly). This is not a very technical explanation though.

@NathanKell: I downloaded the new Moon textures on GitHub, but the moon is now reversed(the "dark" side is now facing us, and Mares Tranquillitas and all the other nice landing sites in history are facing away. If I offset your texture by 180 degrees(equivalent) this fixes it though.

The maps need to be flipped due to KSP's weird requirements(if I remember correctly). This is not a very technical explanation though.

@NathanKell: I downloaded the new Moon textures on GitHub, but the moon is now reversed(the "dark" side is now facing us, and Mares Tranquillitas and all the other nice landing sites in history are facing away. If I offset your texture by 180 degrees(equivalent) this fixes it though.

Thing is, when I flip the map and then go to the proper coordinates for something like Olympus Mons, it's not there, even in very smoothed form, but when I leave the map un-flipped, its at the correct coordinates...

I will say also that I'm getting a little frustrated here... I've revamped my process so that the compression issues are not there anymore and I should clearly be getting extremely deep valleys at least that are not very wide in certain areas, but instead I'm just getting rolling hills. I can only imagine the headache you've had getting Earth to look right...

Edited by SpacedInvader

Thing is, when I flip the map and then go to the proper coordinates for something like Olympus Mons, it's not there, even in very smoothed form, but when I leave the map un-flipped, its at the correct coordinates...

Are you flipping already flipped textures? I haven't done on-site tests at Duna/Mars yet so I can't tell how the surface co-ordinates work or how that relates to the texture.

So did anyone figure out how to get the scaled space to work with a new heightmap? I want to see where I'm going :P

This.. I really want to be able to see the big picture from higher altitudes so I can put my inspection lander on the right spot. That being said, I think I might have an idea how NathanKell does it, so when I get home from work tonight, if he hasn't yet, I'll see if I can produce something.

So did anyone figure out how to get the scaled space to work with a new heightmap? I want to see where I'm going :P

Strangelyenough, both the heightmap textures I tested for the Moon/Mun did update the scaled space mesh. However, whenever I test one for Duna/Mars it does not. Maybe it's some error in coding/something @NathanKell might've missed which disables it for all/some of the planets? That's the only reason I can think of why Duna seems to be the only planet that does not update its scaled space mesh.

I lack much coding skill so I can't really analyse the source code etc.

So i went and made a small expedition to the floating sheet of grass on top of the space center (This bug happens when i try to move KSC to Baikonur), to get some clues to what would be causing that bug

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So it may be that KSP is confused about where KSC is, so it thinks its some meters in the air (Original KSC altitude), while it also thinks KSC is on the ground (New KSC altitude... Or something), and it creates this sort of bug. Note that i can't launch any sort of rocket, as when i do so, i end up colliding with the floating grass...

Any ideas why this bug?

Any ideas why this bug?

I fixed this in my RSS version by moving the co-ordinates 0.5 degrees at a time in both lat and long until this went away. Fiddly and lots of re-loading to find this out but my KSC is fine now.

Maybe I'm thinking about something else but I thought SSTScale needed to be commented out for that to work?

For all the players here who use KJR, a new version is out. Also, slightly related:

http://i.imgur.com/79n6qLk.png

http://i.imgur.com/FqhozOb.png

5000 tonnes to a 300 km LEO. The 0.23.5 update broke it. But now, Eotena lives again!

Ok, that does it. You are hereby required to upgrade to a larger launchpad before any more launches can proceed from your facility.

So, does that Earth texture (actually i think its just Earth, not a texture) come in the download, or do i have to replace something else to get it? Also, in metaphors version with stock+PF, would the universe replacer replace the Earth texture? I plan on making an ultra realistic KSP :)

And also, anyone know where Ferram got that nosecone?