[1.8.x-1.12.x] Module Manager 4.2.3 (July 03th 2023) - Fireworks season

sarbian

Hello I am having trouble writing a config file for an engine in rocket motor menagerie. What i would like to do is increase the thrust and its subtype as well. But I just can't seem to get it to work. The config file is in a separate mod called Myconfigs with a folder inside it called Patches and the config is in that folder. I would appreciate any help. I have attached the config at the bottom.                                    

@PART[rmm_cotopaxi]:NEEDS[RocketMotorMenagerie]
{
    @MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]
    {
        @Subtype[RS-53]
        {        

@description = <b>Thrust:</b> 1962 kN ASL / 2421 kN Vac.\n<b Isp:</b> 368 s ASL / 454 s Vac.
            @maxThrust = 2421 // kN

}

@Subtype[ssme_BlockIII]
        {        

@description = <b>Thrust:</b> 1962 kN ASL / 2421 kN Vac.\n<b Isp:</b> 368 s ASL / 454 s Vac.
            @maxThrust = 2421 // kN

}

@Subtype[ssme_BlockII]
        {        

@maxThrust = 2421 // kN

}

@Subtype[ssme_Block1]
        {        

@maxThrust = 2421 // kN

}

@Subtype[ssme_FOMF]
        {        

@maxThrust = 2421 // kN

}
    }
}

33 minutes ago, AerospaceBricks said:

Hello I am having trouble writing a config file for an engine in rocket motor menagerie. What i would like to do is increase the thrust and its subtype as well. But I just can't seem to get it to work. The config file is in a separate mod called Myconfigs with a folder inside it called Patches and the config is in that folder. I would appreciate any help. I have attached the config at the bottom.                                    

You need to match the name of the descriptionDetail field in the patch and correctly nest the maxThrust field. Then since you're applying the same change to all the subtypes you can use ,* to match them all provided you add a has clause to identify the correct B9PartSwitch.

Here's the modified patch (untested):

@PART[rmm_cotopaxi]:NEEDS[RocketMotorMenagerie]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[engineSwitch]]
	{
		@SUBTYPE,*
		{        
			@descriptionDetail = <b>Thrust:</b> 1962 kN ASL / 2421 kN Vac.\n<b Isp:</b> 368 s ASL / 454 s Vac.
			@MODULE
			{
				@DATA
				{
					@maxThrust = 2421 // kN
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello!

I've wrote a few patches for myself for improving my experience with Probes Before Crew and a bunch of mods that weren't natively integrated. For most of them, it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, there was one mod - Kerbal Foundries Continued - where apparently my :NEEDS[KerbalFoundriesContinued] was ignored by the MM.  After changing it to normal KF, it worked.

Reason I used KFC was that CKAN said its identifier is KFC not KF. Should I always use the folder names for patches, regardless of what CKAN says? What happens if there's a big folder with submods - like how USI has all USI-developed mods under 1 big folder. 

I stared at https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/wiki/Module-Manager-Handbook but found no answer.

Edit: I cannot delete my dumb posts.

I finally found it.

The stuff within the needs section is based on either:

• A plugin .dll with the same assembly name.
  • A subdirectory name under GameData. (Names with spaces can be used, just remove the spaces: GameData/My Mod/ => :NEEDS[MyMod]
  • A FOR[Blah] defined would allow NEEDS[Blah]

I am blind, sorry for the needless question/spam.

Edited by RunaDacino
I'm an idiot.

Hi guys!

Is there a way to patch a patch?

I'm trying to make some waterfall configs for a RCS thruster, the RCS thruster has a waterfall config already, but its broken, doesn't work so i made one myself, works great on manual input but when i use mechjeb for auto docking it show both plumes the stock one and the one i made, so instead of making a new one, I'd like to patch the existing one, the thing is the rcs block and the original waterfall config are on separate .cfgs, so can someone tell me how to fix that?

On 5/9/2024 at 3:27 PM, Constel4cion said:

Hi guys!

Is there a way to patch a patch?

I'm trying to make some waterfall configs for a RCS thruster, the RCS thruster has a waterfall config already, but its broken, doesn't work so i made one myself, works great on manual input but when i use mechjeb for auto docking it show both plumes the stock one and the one i made, so instead of making a new one, I'd like to patch the existing one, the thing is the rcs block and the original waterfall config are on separate .cfgs, so can someone tell me how to fix that?

It would help if you posted the patch you made, but I would delete the pre-existing waterfall config since you say yours is working great.

Something like this:

@PART[whatever-part-it-is]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleWaterfallFX]{}
	!EFFECTS,*{} // I DON'T know that you need to delete EFFECTS, if you're not adding your own then probably don't do this?

// Your Waterfall config here after this
}

• 4 weeks later...

How long is first-time patching supposed to take? And where is this cached information stored on my computer once written? I was forced to reinstall all my mods today after CKAN's update annoyed me enough to finally do it (it's broken; don't do it; you can't update from the previous version to the current one without destroying everything) and now my game won't load at all despite having identical mod configurations, no mod updates, and no changes to anything at all except CKAN. My computer sits at 99% GPU usage for hours, stuck at "waiting for patches to finish" on the loading screen. I just want to wipe the cache and start over from the beginning adding one mod at a time until it works again.

3 hours ago, BrobDingnag said:

How long is first-time patching supposed to take? And where is this cached information stored on my computer once written? I was forced to reinstall all my mods today after CKAN's update annoyed me enough to finally do it (it's broken; don't do it; you can't update from the previous version to the current one without destroying everything) and now my game won't load at all despite having identical mod configurations, no mod updates, and no changes to anything at all except CKAN. My computer sits at 99% GPU usage for hours, stuck at "waiting for patches to finish" on the loading screen. I just want to wipe the cache and start over from the beginning adding one mod at a time until it works again.

Something else bricked the loading process. And it must be something serious...

Please publish your KSP.log and the Player.log, and I will try to see what's borking on you. You will find how to find them on the following thread:

20 hours ago, Lisias said:

Something else bricked the loading process. And it must be something serious...

Please publish your KSP.log and the Player.log, and I will try to see what's borking on you.

Oh! Sure, thanks a lot. I can't... find a way to upload the files directly and I was going to throw the text into Pastebin, but I see my output log is about 24 megabytes and has a lot of "Failed to add Resource 1576437329 to Simulation PartSet:4098 as corresponding Part FX-64 Rockomax "Jumbo" Fuel Tank-3341148267 SimulationResource was not found." in it. "A lot" as in, 44,902 instances of this line alone. So... I think I found the issue. Whatever "simulation resource" and "simulation partset" are supposed to be.

Also my Pastebin tab is now frozen, so I don't think I'll be able to upload the output log. Here's Player.log, though. There's a lot of "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" in it. 24,228 of those. Oh, never mind. Pastebin broke there, too. Can't upload 7.73 megs of text.

21 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

Okeedoke, then.

Output. Player.

Found the probable cause, it's a old known troublemaker:

MiniAVC -> System.IO.IOException: Sharing violation on path C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_ClickThroughBlocker\MiniAVC.xml
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, Fi
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MiniAVC.AddonSettings.Load (System.String rootPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MiniAVC.AddonLibrary.ProcessAddonPopulation (System.Object state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

MiniAVC -> Executing: MiniAVC - 1.0.3.2

Old versions of MiniAVC are known troublemakers and, frankly, new versions are near useless - it's way better to use KSP-AVC to check for the new versions - or just use CKAN, CurseForge or other automated installer.

Delete all copies of a file called "MiniAVC.dll" from your system. I think this will do the trick.

If not, publish the new KSP.log and Player.log and let's keep digging.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Delete all copies of a file called "MiniAVC.dll" from your system. I think this will do the trick.

Huh. I found it in Grannus Expansion Pack, but I've had that installed forever without any problems. I guess the redownload I had to do after the CKAN update was slightly different. Still frozen during load in the same way, though.

My output file says it hasn't been modified since 2019, by the way. It didn't change when I force quit KSP just now, but the Player file updated. Here's the new one.

The MiniAVC.log in KSP's main folder ends with "[Log 18:17:24.9511090]: Starter was destroyed." Shouldn't matter since I deleted MiniAVC from the Grannus folder, but that's what it says. I removed the log file anyway.

Edited by BrobDingnag

4 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

Huh. I found it in Grannus Expansion Pack, but I've had that installed forever without any problems. I guess the redownload I had to do after the CKAN update was slightly different. Still frozen during load in the same way, though.

My output file says it hasn't been modified since 2019, by the way. It didn't change when I force quit KSP just now, but the Player file updated. Here's the new one.

Interesting. Now the problems appears to be many unauthorized accesses on some files:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Program Files\Kerbal Space Program\Logs\KSP-AVC.log" is denied.

Can you please send also the KSP.log? There're some informations on file log that it's not on Player.

25 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

Sure thing. That one hasn't updated since yesterday, but that's after a few attempts to get the game to run again so it should contain the error.

Nope. I didn't found any "UnauthorizedAccessException" on this one. And this one was from a working session, you managed to load a savegame and get into the TrackStation, and from there to Flight on this one.

Please send me exactly the KSP.log that was generated with the last Player.log you sent on this post.

1 minute ago, BrobDingnag said:

There wasn't a new one. the only KSP.log I have hasn't updated since yesterday, but that Player.log updated the last time I forced the game to quit when it was hanging on load. And my output_log.txt hasn't updated since 2019.

Are you using Steam? If yes, did you applied that nasty hack forcing to load KSP instead of PD-Launcher? If yes, the KSP.log will be found inside de PD-Launcher - and I think this may be the reason of the borkage I'm finding in your Player.log.

If yes, I strongly recommend to reset the Launch's command line to the default, and then to install KSSL instead.

Just now, BrobDingnag said:

I always just hit Play through CKAN. Should I not? It has worked for years...

CKAN is alright, the problem I though it could be happening happens only when launching from Steam with a unfortunate hack that induces KSP to write and read some files on the wrong place - a mess.

Since you are launching from CKAN, this is not the problem.

13 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

There wasn't a new one. the only KSP.log I have hasn't updated since yesterday, but that Player.log updated the last time I forced the game to quit when it was hanging on load. And my output_log.txt hasn't updated since 2019.

So my next best guess is that somehow the directory where KSP is installed is set to read/only. It's a possible explanation for some Assemblies not being able to read some files - not to mentino the KSP.log not being created (but I think this would create an entry on the Player.log...).

Do you now how to check and maybe set a directory's owner and file permissions?

Until the moment, it's the only hypothesis left - your CPU is an Intel with 8 cores and 16 threads, symmetrical (i.e., all cores with the same speed), and so a known situation that happens on assymetrycal CPUs (the e-core, p-core thingies) is not the cause for your problems.

You need to be sure that the directory where KSP is installed is set to your user as owner, and that you can read and write to all files on it. If you have Steam, I would also verify the installed files.

45 minutes ago, Lisias said:

So my next best guess is that somehow the directory where KSP is installed is set to read/only.

Well hey, look at that. It is. But all of the folders in Program Files are set to that... My GameData folder is read only. What shouldn't be? I'd guess most folders across the entire system are.

Oh, the most recent version of CKAN refuses to operate when it's given administrator access, whereas all previous versions (that I've used) worked fine with it on.  Is that relevant? KSP.exe also wasn't set to run as administrator, but that has always been the case.

27 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

Well hey, look at that. It is.

Hey, case closed! :)

27 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

But all of the folders in Program Files are set to that...

In theory, it's how things should be. Security matter.

28 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

My GameData folder is read only. What shouldn't be? I'd guess most folders across the entire system are.

Well... KSP, in an ideal world, should be doing that. But the modding scene decided to write things on GameData, and so the best practices were thrown troughs the Windows. (pun really intended). :P

Originally, on the Windows 3.11 and 9x times, programs used to mix program code, program data and user data on the same subdirectory - some games are still this way even nowadays, and KSP is, well, more than 10 years old at this time.

So, nope. In order to run KSP, the while directory and subdirectories must be owner by your user, with Read/Write rights.

You will probably need to remove KSP from your C:\Program Files into somewhere into your $HOME.

36 minutes ago, BrobDingnag said:

Oh, the most recent version of CKAN refuses to operate when it's given administrator access, whereas all previous versions (that I've used) worked fine with it on.  Is that relevant? KSP.exe also wasn't set to run as administrator, but that has always been the case.

It's a wise decision, and I also enforce it on an add'on of mine (a library I'm building). You should never run anything you downloaded from the Internet as Administrator no matter how much you think you trust the developer. It's more than possible (in fact, it's how most malware infections happens) that someone could forge the package injecting some nasty stuff that, once is kicked in using an Administrator account will literally do whatever they want - from installing Bitcoin miners to include your computer into a botnet (not to mention stealing bank data, you name it!).

And this include games. If you run KSP as Admin, every single add'on you install will run as Admin too.

Good to know you don't do it.

----

Well, back to the problem - probably some Windows update decided to "fix" your KSP's access rights. There's no other option than move KSP to somewhere in your home directory and run KSP from there - it's what I do anyway, even on MacOS and Linux.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, Lisias said:

l world, should be doing that. But the modding scene decided to write things on GameData, and so the best practices were thrown troughs the Windows. (pun really intended). :P So, nope. In order to run KSP, the while directory and subdirectories must be owner by your user, with Read/Write rights.

But this has literally never been the case. I've been able to run it for nearly ten years exactly as it was before this CKAN update... It also doesn't work. Setting GameData to recursively remove write-only does nothing because it comes back immediately the next time I open the properties window.

The uh... the game started, though. What? Like... what? "Literally absolutely nothing changed in the software, but it works now." needs to be a slogan of some sort. Thank you, truly, for your help.

Well, back to the problem - probably some Windows update decided to "fix" your KSP's access rights.

And that's doubly strange, because I don't allow those to happen at all.