4500 dV in LKO, where should I go?

BadManiac

I'm playing a new game in career mode. I have 2500 dV in my transfer stage and 2000 dV in my manned lander. Where do you think I should go for science? Just thought I'd let someone in the community set a goal for me rather than randomly picking one myself :)

Moho require a lot to match plane with and not at least get into orbit around.

I would say Duna if you can refuel the lander and do Ike, Dress is an option if you has been on Duna, however you might have to return in the lander as 2500 might be to lite to get the transfer stage back.

Jool would also be an return in lander mission.

There is always plenty to do in the Joolian system. If you have the Probodobodyne GRAVIOLI DETECTOR you'll be racking up some serious science.

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

"A device for capturing and measuring the elusive Negative Gravioli Particle, used for determining the precise strength of gravitational fields. Warranty void if used to detect Positive Gravioli Particles" - Probodobodyne Inc.

You want to keep that warranty. But in all seriousness, there are many SOIs in the Joolian system for science!

Head to Eve. Use it to get to Jool, then return from Jool using Tylo. Your total delta V required will be only slightly more than what it takes to get to Eve alone, a few hundred extra meters per second. Eve only takes about 1100 (ish), so this leaves you with plenty.

However, you will have to be clever about using your lander. Obviously you're not going to be able to circularize at Eve and land... not that you'd be able to get back into orbit anyway. But you'll still have an issue once you get to Jool, because, again, you won't be wanting to spend much fuel circularizing around the object you decide to land on. You'll want to stay mostly in Jool orbit, and have the lander head off to wherever you want to go (your lander will only be able to do Bop or Pol) and come back to a rendezvous in Joolian orbit.

Alternatively, head out to Eve and Jool, return via Tylo, and then just use the lander to explore the Mun when you get back!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.