What is best way to set up landing at a location?

Sorry if this has been addressed before. What is the best way to set up a landing at a location. Say I have site that I have landed at and want to send another lander, or parts for a base. How is the best way to go about this? Is there a trick to setting up the orbit and when to burn to get the landing close to the desired location?

I am at the point in the game where I will be wanting to start doing landing of this sort. Would love to hear how you do it.

Thanks and Happy Flying. :D

MechJeb is probably the easiest to do it, but if you're on a moon without an atmosphere you could just eyeball it. Get close with your de-orbit burn, then when you are directly over your target kill your horizontal velocity, drop your landing legs, and control your descent.

You'll want to set your trajectory so that you overshoot it, how much exactly is a thing you need to get a feel for, as it depends on atmospheric drag (if applicable), your landing technique and the rotation of the body. Once you're satisfied with your trajectory start descending and once you're within 100 kilometers of your landing site you can set another vessel that's there as a target. Now, switch the navball to surface mode and make sure your retrograde vector stays between the antitarget vector and the horizon. Once the anti-target vector is pointing to the center of the blue ball you're directly on top of your target and you should be able to drop down :)

Once within visual range, position the camera so that you're looking past your ship at the target site at about a 45 degree angle. From this perspective, it is very easy to see if you're drifting right/left, falling low/overshooting.

For real precision, I like to send a rover first as a location scout, then park it so that the fan of its headlights is illuminating the spot where I want to land the next ship.

If you're trying to land on a body without an atmosphere, you can actually set things up kinematically - you know your velocity, you know your mass and you know your thruster output. Because you know that, you can get a rough guesstimate of your acceleration rate (it will change because your mass is decreasing as you fire your engines, but it'll be close enough for jazz). Take that velocity and divide it by your acceleration; that should be the amount of time it would take to go from that velocity to zero. Set things up so you get your periapsis as low and as close to your target point as you can get safely it. Watch the time to periapsis; when the time to periapsis equals the time it would take to zero your velocity, begin burning. You want to adjust the angle of your burn so that your average vertical velocity remains zero (use your rate of ascent/descent indicator gauge - the one right next to your altimeter - to judge this), so that your horizontal velocity becomes zero right at that point of periapsis. Then kill your burn, turn vertical, and land as you would normally. Make adjustments as necessary.

For bodies with atmosphere...I haven't figured those out yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.