[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Nope, 1 didn't work, Jeb was floating next to the ship quite happily. And 2 just resulted in him being resurrected perfectly after his 100+ m/s impact into the ship. So either some other mod is implicated or something important is missing in the reproduction steps. :/

Nope, 1 didn't work, Jeb was floating next to the ship quite happily. And 2 just resulted in him being resurrected perfectly after his 100+ m/s impact into the ship. So either some other mod is implicated or something important is missing in the reproduction steps. :/

EVA planetside. Even just on the launch pad for starters.

OK, apparently this is a known problem and there's a hotfix out for it. To stop EVAed Kerbals from breaking, you have to redownload the game from Squad. (or update it on Steam) (or use the patcher)

Don't remember seeing anything about a hotfix but the latest version is 0.23.5.464

Kerbals in existing save files might or might not get fixed by updating.....

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75586-Master-Thread-Unresponsive-Kerbals-in-EVA

So nothing to do with any mod, just stock problem like you surmised.... (unless it's exacerbated by mods)

Edited by Starwaster

So, there's a small problem. Picture this. I'm experiencing huge amounts of giant fish swimming through space syndrome, so I download the KJR mod, as I've been doing for a while now. But it doesn't actually help, so I look at the changelog, and i notice that it says (a whole bunch of stuff) has been disabled by default. So, my question is: how do I re-enable these features? Because the strengthening in .23.5 isn't that much better than plain old .23, so because the joint stiffening functionality of this mod has been disabled, things just got a whole lot worse :( So... what can I do to get the .23 functionality of KJR back?

Thanks for the brilliant mod, regardless.

So is it normal for my KSS ( Kerbal Space Station ) to wobble like a spaghetti Spring with this mod? I mean, I have never had this problem until the 23.5, Is there anything that I can do or you ferram. By the way how is everything?

So is it normal for my KSS ( Kerbal Space Station ) to wobble like a spaghetti Spring with this mod? I mean, I have never had this problem until the 23.5, Is there anything that I can do or you ferram. By the way how is everything?

Unfortunately, this seems to be the new norm. The answer is "add more struts", and one big reason I haven't updated to 0.23.5 yet. My existing ships in space, which are rock solid, become floppy and uncontrollable after updating, even with reenabling the config options that are now disabled by default. If I sound frustrated it's because I am. I'd love to update, but it would mean my existing mission to Moho would be stuck there (can't control the ship well enough to make a return burn) and the ship on its way to Dres would end up who knows where, since again, can't control it enough to do a burn.

I realize that game updates bring issues sometimes and sometimes you have to start over, but this is literally just a structural issue, everything else (save Infernal robotics but that's another story) works. My ships just turn into birds.

@Andrewmacor: There are some things I'm working on that help, but most of the big helpful changes are already in KSP, namely, the changes to MaxAngularVelocity and inertia tensors that really help tighten things up. If you're using mod parts, make sure that the nodes for those parts are the proper sizes, and if they aren't, yell at the mod author to provide proper support for 0.23.5's joint upgrades, since it actually matters now. Other than that, for now you can try re-enabling things in the config (see Readme file) or be more gentle with your vehicles.

I put .23 stock on my MPC TransPort T2500 laptop (nVidia 8600M GS with 256 meg dedicated RAM, 4 gigs RAM, 2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo and Win 7 ultimate x64) just to see if it'd run KSP. Then I loaded the Kerbal X.

Thought it was going to fall apart on the pad, it wobbled around so much. Launched OK without any lag - so next the acid test. I'll copy over my save with my Eve ship that's still in Kerbin orbit 'cause my desktop is too slow...

Of course it'll need KJR and a few other mods to support that ship.

Version 2.3 is released, marking the source being shifted to GitHub, the re-introduction of the stiffening functions, and some simplification in the config.xml. Rockets will now be much more stable, which will be well received by RSS players.

Version 2.3 is released, marking the source being shifted to GitHub, the re-introduction of the stiffening functions, and some simplification in the config.xml. Rockets will now be much more stable, which will be well received by RSS players.

Thank you! This version definitely pushes the stiffness of rockets back towards what they were in 0.23, but I'm still noticing a decent amount of "engine dance" on higher thrust engines pushing a large load into orbit. The ship remains controllable, but 0.23 had zero physics dancing. I noticed in the config that the angularDriveSpring, driveDamper and MaxForceFactors had been changed from 0.23. I've tried using the 0.23 values (which were quite a bit higher) but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I've added more struts, but can't completely get rid of the dancing. Any advice?

-edit-

Adding 8 additional struts to the 4 I was using seems to have stiffened things up. I'm still concerned about going from zero struts needed in 0.23 to a total of 12 struts needed just for the engine block to remain stable. Here is a screenshot of the ship.

5NlDpZ4.png

Edited by pantheis

There's nothing I can do about that; the stuff that fixes the "physics dancing" is already maxed-out, which is why the settings for that were removed (they're maxed out in the stock game as well). Since you're using mod parts for this, you should bring it up with the mod authors and make sure that their parts are set up properly to take advantage of the new joint physics. KJR can't fix the effects of a part having its node size set to 1 when it should be larger, since that causes there to be only one joint connecting the parts when there should be 3.

That said, IIRC those are very high thrust engines being mounted in a very compromising way. They should flex around a bit there.

I had a problem with v2.2 of this mod in which after returning from TimeWarp to normal time it took about 2-3 sec just so the physics could load which in intercepts was disastrous. I am going to try this with the v2.3 but I hope it doesn't happen. While NOT using this mod the load time is unnoticeable. Update coming soon.

It does not take 2 seconds. It takes 0.5 seconds, and is done to prevent the player from taking advantage of the craft's indestructibility when coming off of rails, and that is done to prevent crafts from being destroyed by phantom forces when physics loads. While it is happening, a message is displayed in the top-right corner of the screen so you know what's going on. It's not a problem, it is an integral feature of the mod.

There's nothing I can do about that; the stuff that fixes the "physics dancing" is already maxed-out, which is why the settings for that were removed (they're maxed out in the stock game as well). Since you're using mod parts for this, you should bring it up with the mod authors and make sure that their parts are set up properly to take advantage of the new joint physics. KJR can't fix the effects of a part having its node size set to 1 when it should be larger, since that causes there to be only one joint connecting the parts when there should be 3.

That said, IIRC those are very high thrust engines being mounted in a very compromising way. They should flex around a bit there.

I've verified the node sizes are correct, it just looks like I'll need to add a couple of struts going forward. Once I did that, they were rock solid.

hey farrem found out that if u use kjr and destory something with a lazor missle kjr starts throwing errors. guess its cause the vessle i destoried was withing 2.5km probaly but still worrisim.

u can get rid of the error by going back to hanger or somethign anything that switches the scene away from area seems to fix it. might want to add something for when vessle is suddenly destoryed and such