[1.3] Kerbal Joint Reinforcement v3.3.3 7/24/17

ferram4

Yes, I am aware of it. There's a fix for it in my current build and I'm just testing stuff to make sure that I haven't horribly broken something with the changes I've made.

Yes, I am aware of it. There's a fix for it in my current build and I'm just testing stuff to make sure that I haven't horribly broken something with the changes I've made.

Gotcha, gotcha. Keep up the fine work, sir.

Alright guys, KJR version 2.1 is out, which fixes the KAS issue, reduces some of the physics overhead, and also includes a workaround for some of the launch clamp weirdness that everyone suffered, but was particularly noticeable for RSS users. Also probably other tweaks that I've forgotten about. Have fun guys!

Yep definitely progress couldnt get off the launchpad with vesion 2 at least it launches then flies apart at random altitudes I have some pics for you and the speed its travelling at. The srb has around 11 struts per srb from the srb to the main tank I dont have this issue with version 1.7

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Still having the similar issue with the TT-70 decoupler it now doesnt break on the launchpad (\0/) it now breaks at 9000m everytime using Bobcats Altait ares rocket

What else happens at 9000? What's your TWR?

Oops didnt see the pics until I refreshed.

Its around 4 at 9000 mechjeb has throttled the main engines back and mostly using the big SRBs, I think I am just going to put it down to bad kerbal quality control and that TT-70 decoupler are made from chewing gum and shoelaces and its a lucky dip if you can make it to SRB seperation

Edited by Virtualgenius

Alright guys, KJR version 2.1 is out, which fixes the KAS issue, reduces some of the physics overhead, and also includes a workaround for some of the launch clamp weirdness that everyone suffered, but was particularly noticeable for RSS users. Also probably other tweaks that I've forgotten about. Have fun guys!

Thanks ferram! :)

Good to see someone finally got around to this again, going to try it out.

Just wanted to know how you got around almost all of the stock joint crap code hiding behind private flags? Did you get someone to unhide it finally, or are we allowed to screw with the private junk now?

v2.1

Features

--Reduced extent of decoupler stiffening joint creation; this should reduce physics overhead

--Code refactoring for additional performance gains

--Removed physics easing effect on inertia tensors; was unnecessary and added more overhead

--Workaround for the stock "Launch Clamps shift on the pad and overstress your ship" bug that is particularly noticeable with RSS

--Clamp connections are stiffer; now allowed by above workaround

This is the best kind of changelog. Best changelog I've seen all month. Kudos Ferram.

Woo! Thanks. :D

I downloaded it and installed it, maybe it installed wrong, but now I have an issue.

One of my most used launchers keeps breaking at the decoupling point, before it even finishes loading in on the launch pad.

I have no pictures currently because I am at work, but it is a 118ton launcher, using the stretchy tanks from Nathen Kell, and the RSS+RF mod. It breaks at the 2.5m rockomax 2.5m decoupler, and the poodle engine for the third stage. When before this patch it would load and launch just fine and handle up to 6Gs of acceleration without an issue. The upper stage is about 20 tons.

Some good news from me @ferram: It works! Thanks for the update. I have no more issues with my rockets... Now just to scale down my gimballing F-1 engines...

On the TT-70 decoupler issue: I don'

t seem to have trouble with them anymore. I noticed on one of my rockets where the SRB's attached to them flexed by about 2 or 3 degrees, reverted to their original position and gave no problems from there on. They even work properly with my NOVA C-9 whose boosters weigh around 4 100 tonnes each(held together simply with a double set of Heavy Struts from KW Rocketry.

I think it is a little over powered right now. I hit a crater wall at 60m/s with a tricycle style wheel setup on a mid class rocket plane and it just took it like a champ, bounced up a few hundred meters and cleared the wall. I have a picture before the impact to give you an idea how the crater is. It hit near the base.

18wv7rs.jpg

@Hodo: Try replacing all of the launch clamps with new ones and see if that fixes it; perhaps there was some weirdness due to the update. If it's breaking for it finishes loading than that means that even the crazy amount of strengthening that KJR adds isn't enough for it to hold together; it breaks before the KJR message in the top right corner disappears, right? Try reinstalling KJR, and if that doesn't fix it then provide the craft file so I can play around with it.

@bulletrhli: That's because of the wonky way that the stock landing gear are set up; since only the wheel is affected by physics it works as a very good way of isolating the rest of the vehicle from physics forces, as has been exploited by many people using them in the place of standard landing gear. There's not much that can be done than to reduce the settings in the config.xml (which are there for fixing what you're complaining about) and hope that it doesn't have negative side effects.

@Hodo: Try replacing all of the launch clamps with new ones and see if that fixes it; perhaps there was some weirdness due to the update. If it's breaking for it finishes loading than that means that even the crazy amount of strengthening that KJR adds isn't enough for it to hold together; it breaks before the KJR message in the top right corner disappears, right? Try reinstalling KJR, and if that doesn't fix it then provide the craft file so I can play around with it.

@bulletrhli: That's because of the wonky way that the stock landing gear are set up; since only the wheel is affected by physics it works as a very good way of isolating the rest of the vehicle from physics forces, as has been exploited by many people using them in the place of standard landing gear. There's not much that can be done than to reduce the settings in the config.xml (which are there for fixing what you're complaining about) and hope that it doesn't have negative side effects.

I did not know that :P Thank you for clearing that up and I definitely feel like some tinkering is in my future :P

Got an issue with KAS struts.

I've built fine station and reinforced it's docking node with KAS struts. When I switch to Mission Control, do some stuff, and then switch to the station - KAS struts are spaced. Seriously, strut ports are flying around the station, slowly drifting away from it.

This stuff began to happen when I installed this mod. Any possibilities to make struts sit where I tell them?

EDIT: Whoops, missed an update, gonna check it out.

Edited by Overjay

Does anyone know a way to strengthen the radial attachment force further? Maybe on just one part? I'm trying to make an aircraft with a "sweeping" wing design, but everytime I disable the quantum struts holding the sweeping bit still they just flap all over the place. The part their attached to is a magic smoke powered hinge if that's relevant.

Is that why they bounce like The Son Of Flubber after a crash?!??

Edited by Starwaster

@DebatedNothing: Not much that can be done there; you've got a single part connected through a very small connection area that's probably getting quite a bit of force acting on it. Try struting the wing to the rotating bit of the hinge to see if that helps. There's also no way to increase the stiffness for just one part, because stiffnesses that are too high for the part's mass / moment of inertia can break the physics engine.