[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

What's the difference between this and ISAMapsat?

It's just a different way of doing things. SCANsat does have a few strengths over ISA. For instance: You can run multiple mapping satellites at a time where ISA can only scan from the active ship. SCANsat has a variety of scanners to meet your needs while ISA only have one. The ISA interface is sleeker, but I think SCANsat's is more functional.

I've got both installed. I usually use SCANsat, but ISA has had some new updates lately so I experiment with it as well.

You can run multiple mapping satellites at a time where ISA can only scan from the active ship.

This is what Kethane needs to have!

I'm keen to get ScanSat but I'd prefer to wait until the placeholder models are replaced. Perhaps even with one of the stock ones, or a dish from RemoteTech?

This is what Kethane needs to have!

I'm keen to get ScanSat but I'd prefer to wait until the placeholder models are replaced. Perhaps even with one of the stock ones, or a dish from RemoteTech?

Read the latest change log. The models of the parts are now the ones from here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/49233-WIP-Parts-from-my-garden-shed-SCANsat-Antennae

Edited by BananaDealer

And here

Hey guys, I made a 1.25 meter scanner to stick on top of your rockets that looks a bit more realistic than the stock parts. I have it set up to do three different scan types but you can change that if you want in the config file. Just download and copy the rar contents to your GameData folder.

Here's a pic of it in Blender:

IQruKhK.png

And here's a pic of it in game:

Z6gIwTT.png

Download Here

he make a part looks good it as 3 scanners in 1 back on page 64 I added kethane scanner and GPS and kos it like a all in 1 :D

Edited by Mecripp2

I'm having the same issue. In my case, it's the sandbox mode. I'm running quite a few mods as well.

Edit: I'll check Kethane to see if ScanSat will work without Kethane.

Followup: ScanSat works fine without Kethane installed.

I ran a series of tests, installing mods one by one and checking to see if Kethane was compatible with the mods. I found that ScanSat and Kethane stop each other from working. I've only checked it in Career mode.

The Kethane and ScanSat mods were individually compatible with all the latest versions of the following mods I use: MechJeb, EngineerRedux, SlidingNavBall, KWRocketry, InfernalRobotics, TACFuelBalancer, Haystack, KerbalAttachmentSystem, DockingPortAlignment, Notes and ActionGroupManager.

Hope this bug can be corrected. I love both ScanSat and Kethane mods.

I ran a series of tests, installing mods one by one and checking to see if Kethane was compatible with the mods. I found that ScanSat and Kethane stop each other from working. I've only checked it in Career mode.

The Kethane and ScanSat mods were individually compatible with all the latest versions of the following mods I use: MechJeb, EngineerRedux, SlidingNavBall, KWRocketry, InfernalRobotics, TACFuelBalancer, Haystack, KerbalAttachmentSystem, DockingPortAlignment, Notes and ActionGroupManager.

Hope this bug can be corrected. I love both ScanSat and Kethane mods.

I'm using both Kethane and ScanSat so... Yeah...

If you're having issues with Kethane, post them on the Kethane issue tracker along with output logs so I can make a patch. I'm not aware of any compatibility issues as long as all mods installed have been updated for KSP 0.23.

Few requests:

- Can you make mini-window project my ground track, like big map does?

- Will we be able to actually adjust our maneuver on big map? CUrrently i can see maneuver "star" but i cant add prograde, retrograde etc, just like in orbital map mode?

- Coudl you allow player to project more orbit tracks on map (currently we have current orbit and next orbit)?

- Can we get night side/day side distinction?

Edited by kiwiak

Any chance that the min/max/optimal scan ranges can be made visible in the VAB/SPH? I know we can look at the .part files, but having it integrated in the game would be nice.

Loving this mod.

Any chance that the min/max/optimal scan ranges can be made visible in the VAB/SPH? I know we can look at the .part files, but having it integrated in the game would be nice.

Loving this mod.

I actually put the ranges into the description field when I made my rescale configs for Realism Overhaul. Helps a ton.

I actually put the ranges into the description field when I made my rescale configs for Realism Overhaul. Helps a ton.

Can you elaborate what are scan ranges for this mod sensors? Just downloaded it and im little confused.

Can you elaborate what are scan ranges for this mod sensors? Just downloaded it and im little confused.

Each scanner part.cfg has a minimum altitude, max altitude, and best altitude setting -- it lets you know how high you need to be to best make use of the scanner. Outside of min and max I assume the scanner doesn't work, and at the best altitude... I'm not sure of the exact differences that brings.

Each scanner part.cfg has a minimum altitude, max altitude, and best altitude setting -- it lets you know how high you need to be to best make use of the scanner. Outside of min and max I assume the scanner doesn't work, and at the best altitude... I'm not sure of the exact differences that brings.

It indeed doesn't work outside the min/max altitude. The window will show the text in orange instead of green when this is the case.

I suspect 'optimal' is the altitude where your scan covers the widest area -- and if you scan with a satellite in an eccentric orbit you'll get a good view of this.

And i thought that it was a bug that my ship suddenly stopped scanning..

Indeed, this NEEDS to be included in description.

I'm having no issue with this mod and Kethane together, however for me it seems to not get along well with RemoteTech2. When I try and activate any scanner, it adds it to the flight computer queue and never executes the command. Removing RemoteTech allowed mapsat to run

Open the config files for each part and look in the module section, it will tell you the altitudes needed. You can then edit the description field to your liking. So for the first one I opened, it has this in the module section:

MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 1
fov = 5
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 500000
best_alt = 5000
power = 0.1
animationName = Collapse_Antenna
}

So, taking that, I can change the description to (assuming those values are in meters, testing will confirm):

description = The Scientific Committee on Advanced Navigation brings you this high performance RADAR altimetry sensor. This is the entry-level model in this sensor family, and commonly sold in a bundle with toy rockets and remote-controlled model planes. After focus group testing revealed that 95% of the target audience tried to duct tape it to the exhaust pipe of their rocket engines, this new and improved model has been made even easier to use. Scans best at 5,000 meters, can scan up to 500,000 meters altitude.

Something like that, but that's only helpful while in the VAB, once you're in flight, there's no way to see that info I don't think. You have to go by the indicators on the map screen. Orange = no good. Green = OK! What I usually do is set the altitude at 750K and scan for the high res map, then lower to 250K and scan for the rest.

Yeah, I could swear there was an incompatibility between this and kethane earlier... but they seem to work fine now. However the current version of Modular Fuels seems to screw them both up. At least for me.

damny, you may want to check out the GetInfo function. It allows you to place useful info in the part's pop up window the same way engine stats and such show up. Realchutes is a handy example of this.

seems like the science part is broken. i tested it in low kerbin orbit and the analyse function only gives 0.0 points.

It does work - but the value varies - around Kerbin I also got zero points, but I got plenty around Mun and Minmus. Seems you need to be quite far to get any real points from it (though there you get around 120 points).

Also - there are no points to be made from the MapTraq - you have to analyse one of the scanners themselves, not the passive viewer (this being the case - I would propose that the analyse function be removed from the MapTraq unit).

I haven't tested whether you get points for analysing data with the Been-there-done-that unit.

i was on an 200km polar orbit (89° inclanation) and used the low resolution altimeter scanner and the radar scanner (that one with the mash). both shown 0.0 for analyze. my second test now was a 500km orbit on 0° inclanation, same result.

Try it around Mun or Minmus - if you still getting 0's that's a bug, I never tried to scan kerbin because by the time I unlocked the scansats I had already visited every Biome on it (the main reason I use it is to identify them) so I went straight to mun and minmus and both got me significant points when I analyzed and then transmitted the results.