[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

I am the ultimate opposite of disappoint. Amazing work (as always, but especially finally a real atmosphere shader!!!)

Haha, yup! Still trying to figure out why the top of it doesn't blend into space as smoothly as I'd hoped. Might just be gammut limitation.

After that though, oceans, and then finishing scaled space!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ok, a more careful review of the overhaul:

- First of all. I love it.

- A suggestion for greater realism in the clouds: like clouds are created in the camera position now (much better imho), I suggest a fade between the clouds texture and the particles. In the point where the particles finish the texture of the clouds should be 100% visible and in the central point of the particles (camera point) the texture of the clouds should be 0% visible. Or in other words: only particles near to the camera point and a fade of the cloud map to visibility at the point where the particles ends. That could avoid the cloud and particle overlapping, which now reduces the realism.

- In OpenGL mode (and occasionally in d3d window-mode) the horizon shows thin inline gaps. In d3d fullscreen all seems perfect.

- The atmosphere fade to the space is now much more realistic but makes a kind of donut shape while you ascend. Can you make that fade more subtle or maybe thicker to avoid that?

- The atmospheric ambient remains blue during nights and overlaps the clouds (affecting the bottom color and the interiors of the more stronger particles).

- Mun, in the map view, appears light burned.

- Weird shadows appear in the planets in combination with Planet Shine (I use it to get a better and more realistic ingame lighting).

An amazing job Rbray, seriously. Kudos.

Edited by Proot

- A suggestion for greater realism in the clouds: like clouds are created in the camera position now (much better imho), I suggest a fade between the clouds texture and the particles. In the point where the particles finish the texture of the clouds should be 100% visible and in the central point of the particles (camera point) the texture of the clouds should be 0% visible. Or in other words: only particles near to the camera point and a fade of the cloud map to visibility at the point where the particles ends. That could avoid the cloud and particle overlapping, which now reduces the realism.

Yeah, I also have to shuffle the rendering order and add more effects to the particles and cloud layers. Right now the volume is overlayed on top of everything, and due to the way the blending works it messes up cloud particles and the layers pretty badly. I'd been thinking of doing something like this for a while, just never got around to it. Basically it will just be an inversion of the current function used for particle visibility.

- In OpenGL mode (and occasionally in d3d window-mode) the horizon shows thin inline gaps. In d3d fullscreen all seems perfect.

Odd I'll have to look into this.

- The atmosphere fade to the space is now much more realistic but makes a kind of donut shape while you ascend. Can you make that fade more subtle or maybe thicker to avoid that?

I thought I had? Did you pull down the version I uploaded very recently?

- The atmospheric ambient remains blue during nights and overlaps the clouds (affecting the bottom color and the interiors of the more stronger particles).

Ah, yeah I need to fix this. Though it should be pretty simple.

- Mun, in the map view, appears light burned.

This is just an example of the "albedo" usage. I increased the light amount so that it is more realistic. It looks a LOT better than stock Mun from kerbin.

- Weird shadows appear in the planets in combination with Planet Shine (I use it to get a better and more realistic ingame lighting).

Hmmm... I could see that happening... May just have to disable shadow receiving.

Haha, yup! Still trying to figure out why the top of it doesn't blend into space as smoothly as I'd hoped. Might just be gammut limitation.

After that though, oceans, and then finishing scaled space!

Can you maybe borrow some of asmi's code? It's HLSL but doing the same thing, IIRC.

rbray, is it worth working in changes with the overhaul system or the settings system in the final version will change?

There will probably be some minor updates (thinking of moving atmosphere to be it's own entity), but for the most part they shouldn't change...

you say we can just delete the .dll files we do not want to remove that aspect. so my question is what do the various .dll files do?

obviously clouds and citylights do their thing, but what about geometry, overlaymgr, and terrain?

Also there are links in the past to duna dust storms but this is no longer working. is it possible to still find these dust storm files somewhere?

Edited by Bit Fiddler

you say we can just delete the .dll files we do not want to remove that aspect. so my question is what do the various .dll files do?

obviously clouds and citylights do their thing, but what about geometry, overlaymgr, and terrain?

Also there are links in the past to duna dust storms but this is no longer working. is it possible to still find these dust storm files somewhere?

The other files handle other aspects of the mod, eg. utility functionality

Rbray, I have some new questions and notes about the new overhaul and my first modifications to the enviroment:

Is the ocean transparency solvable in the configs or is a WIP characteristic in this revision?

It's only me or some configs inside planetMaterial isn't it working yet? (like the alpha channel in the color)

I think the specular light in the map view seems misaligned, it's blocked in front the camera instead to reflect to the camera. So sometimes does the correct lighting, but others not, specially when you flip to the laterals of the planet, and even more where the textures have shiny zones -like oceans- (curiously the lighting seems to work right over the matt -terrain- parts). I think that is why oceans have visible lines in the shadow frontier in the map view (not caused by planet shine mod, as I was thinking before). That effect is visible too in the poles where sometimes the lights and shadows create a cone shape.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

See the difference with the correct lighting in the oceans of Eve (non modified):

6I7tYkm.jpg

Are bright auroras possible in night side in this version? I've tried to do a few new particles for the auroras and seems a very exciting feature, with a new world of possibilities.

Speaking about... would be possible to add options to scale the particles, lock his axis or even make them movable to up/down in the main texture (instead to only radial)?

That would open us the possibility to create a lot (a great lot) of new things...

Rbray, I have some new questions and notes about the new overhaul and my first modifications to the enviroment:

Is the ocean transparency solvable in the configs or is a WIP characteristic in this revision?

It's only me or some configs inside planetMaterial isn't it working yet? (like the alpha channel in the color)

I think the specular light in the map view seems misaligned, it's blocked in front the camera instead to reflect to the camera. So sometimes does the correct lighting, but others not, specially when you flip to the laterals of the planet, and even more where the textures have shiny zones -like oceans- (curiously the lighting seems to work right over the matt -terrain- parts). I think that is why oceans have visible lines in the shadow frontier in the map view (not caused by planet shine mod, as I was thinking before). That effect is visible too in the poles where sometimes the lights and shadows create a cone shape.

http://imgur.com/a/nuFTH

See the difference with the correct lighting in the oceans of Eve (non modified):

http://i.imgur.com/6I7tYkm.jpg

Are bright auroras possible in night side in this version? I've tried to do a few new particles for the auroras and seems a very exciting feature, with a new world of possibilities.

Speaking about... would be possible to add options to scale the particles, lock his axis or even make them movable to up/down in the main texture (instead to only radial)?

That would open us the possibility to create a lot (a great lot) of new things...

I have to take another look at the issue with specularity. You aren't the only person to notice that, so it is something I have to look into.

Not sure what you mean by the PlanetMaterial color Alpha... Do you mean it isn't affecting specularity?

Not sure about bright auroras :) I know that on my list is the ability to change all the particle params for the cloud layers though.

http://imgur.com/a/nuFTH

http://i.imgur.com/6I7tYkm.jpg

Oh, and the oceans are just like that temporarily... I baked some coloring into the terrain (similar to how squad does it, but also taking into consideration depth), but wanted to test it out without anything obscuring it. If you want, you can delete the ocean config in the terrain section to see what it might look like in the future.

I'm using the planetMaterial color to simulate an atmospherical effect of distance in the map view, in a bluish tone. (I do it in the 7-4 version too, adding a layer, but in this version looks weird in this way, maybe caused by the specularity issue) The fact is that I can change the color in the planetMaterial -1,1,1,1-, but the alpha -1,1,1,1- (transparency of the color) seems to not change.

Thank you very much about the ocean's info and all the rest!

Kudos, Rbray89!

I'm using the planetMaterial color to simulate an atmospherical effect of distance in the map view, in a bluish tone. (I do it in the 7-4 version too, adding a layer, but in this version looks weird in this way, maybe caused by the specularity issue) The fact is that I can change the color in the planetMaterial -1,1,1,1-, but the alpha -1,1,1,1- (transparency of the color) seems to not change.

Thank you very much about the ocean's info and all the rest!

Kudos, Rbray89!

Hmmm... Not sure what changed exactly, but for mapview, the current atmosphere box will go on-top of the planet to make an actual atmosphere. At least, it will.

Hmmm... Not sure what changed exactly, but for mapview, the current atmosphere box will go on-top of the planet to make an actual atmosphere. At least, it will.

Yes, it's working. But I'm speaking about a "photorealistic trick" that I do in KSPRC. Check this pic from the last version, using EVE 7-4. Look at the bluish tone in the atmosphere:

K5nvUcu.jpg

Is a blue transparent layer that disappears as you go close to the planet, intended to achieve this photorealistic effect:

5qS3Gx2l.jpg

Look at my previous pics of Kerbin in the overhaul. I can try to do the same with the color in the planetMaterial, but the transparency doesn't work, so I can get Kerbin blue tinted, but in a pure-complete blue. I can't set transparency.

I could to do the same effect with the layers, as always, but in the overhaul the blue layer affects the clouds strongly and the lighting seems too "flat" (maybe due to the specularity issue, as I was saying).

Excuse my bad english, it's hard for me to make me understandable. :P

Yes, it's working. But I'm speaking about a "photorealistic trick" that I do in KSPRC. Check this pic from the last version, using EVE 7-4. Look at the bluish tone in the atmosphere:

http://i.imgur.com/K5nvUcu.jpg

Is a blue transparent layer that disappears as you go close to the planet, intended to achieve this photorealistic effect:

http://i.imgur.com/5qS3Gx2l.jpg

Look at my previous pics of Kerbin in the overhaul. I can try to do the same with the color in the planetMaterial, but the transparency doesn't work, so I can get Kerbin blue tinted, but in a pure-complete blue. I can't set transparency.

I could to do the same effect with the layers, as always, but in the overhaul the blue layer affects the clouds strongly and the lighting seems too "flat" (maybe due to the specularity issue, as I was saying).

Excuse my bad english, it's hard for me to make me understandable. :P

Your English is fine:) Yeah, the new atmosphere overlay will do this for you when I get it working for scaled space... and I'll add the same code to clouds so they will tint themselves appropriately as well.

Very Nice!

Astronomer: While you are here, is there anything you want to see really badly out of the overhaul?

Normal maps and volumetric support for bodies with no surface.

Idk if this is possible, but support of higher resolution textures would be nice too.

I'm afraid I don't have much time left. I won't be around when it's finished, but these are the features I would have wanted.

Normal maps and volumetric support for bodies with no surface.

Idk if this is possible, but support of higher resolution textures would be nice too.

I'm afraid I don't have much time left. I won't be around when it's finished, but these are the features I would have wanted.

You should be able to use volumetric support on Jool? I haven't tried it out recently, but when I was it was working.

Textures are pretty much capped I'm afraid.

What do you mean you don't "have much time left?"

hi, I've got some weird cloud duplication issues and are reporting it now.

I run the 7-4 version of EVE also with Better Atmospheres V5 in KSP 0.25 forced D3D11 mode. Also with a lot more mods.

8505yhcrilnamelfg.jpg

You should notice the white clouds, and a slightly more blue duplicate of it underneath. It looks really weird and I'd like it fixed if possible.

I will provide log files and such if necessary. Say if you need it.

Hey RbRay, I know this is highly offtopic, but as the lead of the Better Atmospheres mod has retired from working on it, and the other main creator has yet to comment, have you considered taking the mod over? Or maybe integrating it into EVE as default?

I realise it would be an incredible amount of extra work, but BA is a very popular mod and compliments EVE well, as it really shows off what the mod is capable of without having a massive memory requirement or many dependencies. Both mods really do well at both of these factors, and any dependency requirement is kept at a minimum.

Eitherway, the aesthetics of BA would be a more than appreciated addition to EVE if this were to come to be, assuming that both TSG and Erona decide to lay the development of Better Atmospheres on another author. Just wondered if you minded commenting on the possibility!

Looking forward to your next build of EVE, seen the Dev build screenshots, and they are looking great. Please keep the good work coming!