[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

That would be fantastic. I was trying to mess around with that by seeing if I could have a transparent cloud layer that still generated clouds (I couldn't). Actually, if I was able to do that as well, might be useful for things like those Duna dust storms.

The capability to set depth parameters for them via config would be nice as well and perhaps some control over RGB-A values for the clouds.

I.e.

volumetricfogLayer1
{
Max height = x
Min height = y
}

But that's mainly just because I'd like to play around with it.

The volumetrics really are great, going through Eve's atmosphere especially. Essentially how I'd always imagined it should be.

Yeah, Right now a lot of the values for particle size and placement are hardcoded. They'll be expose in future releases.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I tried the multiple layer trick on Kerbin to try to give the clouds varying depth and topography and it works, sort of, you can see each layer's 2D mask though. Anyways now that rbray89 is officially working on solving the problem with some kind of adjustable cloud parameters by altitude 'thingy'... I'll wait for version 8, but do consider putting rolling sandstorms on Duna though in the next version :)

Edited by RuBisCO

I've tried to install this and ActiveTextureManagement but for whatever reason, I can't seem to get this to work correctly. Can someone post a picture(s) of how the KSP directory should look to get this to work?

I've tried to install this and ActiveTextureManagement but for whatever reason, I can't seem to get this to work correctly. Can someone post a picture(s) of how the KSP directory should look to get this to work?

So in your KSP folder, you should have a GameData folder (C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData), in there you need the BoulderCo folder both this mod and the Texture Management mod come in (C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\BoulderCo) which has ActiveTextureManagerConfigs, CityLights, and Clouds as folders (C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs etc etc). Back in your gamedata folder, you need to dump the ActiveTextureManager folder from the download, and the new EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder (so C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\ActiveTextureManage, and C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements)

This image was post-edited with my meager Paint.NET skillz. Wanted to get a good idea of what a gloomy day at the KSC might be like. Imagine the sun is peeking through a small gap in the clouds off to the left

gloomyKSC.jpg

Doesn't work for me either. Active texture reduction works but not this.

Edit: Just checked. Neither of the two packs work.

be careful installing. Delete BoulderCo entirely, install one mod at a time, merging the contents of the two.

- - - Updated - - -

Put me in as another vote for storms (rain, lightning)!

Haha, sounds good!

Has anyone made a config for RSS?

Since volumetric clouds are linked directly to the cloudlayer height with no option for offset there's no such thing as a "RSS config". The mod works out of the box if you don't mind the cloudheights being a bit messed up.

@rbray89: Would it be possible to add a random amount to the movement of the cloud layers (not volumes) so they don't act so static? Maybe with the seed and min/max values adjustable in the config..

An example of this use - Northern polar cloud layer and Southern polar cloud layer that moves in the same direction at same general speed, but doesn't sync up.

IRL clouds vary speed, and it would be great to replicate this.

Awesome mod btw, the volumetric clouds are amazing.

@rbray89: Would it be possible to add a random amount to the movement of the cloud layers (not volumes) so they don't act so static? Maybe with the seed and min/max values adjustable in the config..

An example of this use - Northern polar cloud layer and Southern polar cloud layer that moves in the same direction at same general speed, but doesn't sync up.

IRL clouds vary speed, and it would be great to replicate this.

Awesome mod btw, the volumetric clouds are amazing.

It isn't so easy... to do this, we would need something a lot more complex than a static texture. I'm not sure if Unity would even support a large render texture like that.

It isn't so easy... to do this, we would need something a lot more complex than a static texture. I'm not sure if Unity would even support a large render texture like that.

I'm not talking about a render texture feature, my apologies..

Like this: (I have not looked at your code, so this is just an approximation. I have not looked into C# yet)

Class CloudLayer0():

RandomXMin = 0 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config
RandomXMax = 16 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config

RandomYMin = 0 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config
RandomYMax = 16 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config

RandomX = random.randint(RandomXMin, RandomXMax)
RandomY = random.randint(randomYMin, RandomYMax)

SpeedX = (2.5E-06 + RandomX) //this is the speed x variable that is tweakable in the Alt N menu and config
SpeedY = (0.0 + RandomY) //this is the speed y variable that is tweakable in the Alt N menu and config

I know I'm mixing with floats, but it is just an example.

Spare rocket parts and fuel to anyone who can guess the language.. (should be really easy :P)

Edited by Yarbrough08

Hey there.

First of all, thank you so much for this. I am doing some vertical launches in cockpit view and without clouds the whole thing seems boring.

I had a few questions.

I don't really want city lights. How can I remove those? If I nix CityLight.dll will it throw up all over itself?

Also, is there a way to turn the clouds off in the map? It's hard to plan my landings with them. I love seeing them as I IVA though.

So in your KSP folder, you should have a GameData folder (C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData), in there you need the BoulderCo folder both this mod and the Texture Management mod come in (C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\BoulderCo) which has ActiveTextureManagerConfigs, CityLights, and Clouds as folders (C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs etc etc). Back in your gamedata folder, you need to dump the ActiveTextureManager folder from the download, and the new EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder (so C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\ActiveTextureManage, and C:\Whateveryourdirectoryis\KSP\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements)

For whatever reason it wouldn't work with aggressive ActiveTextureManager, but it's working fine with basic. Although speaking from personal experience, it's most likely operator error.

I'm so conflicted right now. I really want to use this mod, but it seems to be incompatible with Alternis Kerbol, and that's where my current career save is.

It really shouldn't be incompatible. Someone would just have to make cloud cover config for it.

- - - Updated - - -

I did that. only the default Visual Enhancements works even when I have one of the packs installed.

What is inside BoulderCO and what is inside EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there.

First of all, thank you so much for this. I am doing some vertical launches in cockpit view and without clouds the whole thing seems boring.

I had a few questions.

I don't really want city lights. How can I remove those? If I nix CityLight.dll will it throw up all over itself?

Also, is there a way to turn the clouds off in the map? It's hard to plan my landings with them. I love seeing them as I IVA though.

You can delete it without issues.

I'm not talking about a render texture feature, my apologies..

Like this: (I have not looked at your code, so this is just an approximation. I have not looked into C# yet)

Class CloudLayer0():

RandomXMin = 0 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config
RandomXMax = 16 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config

RandomYMin = 0 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config
RandomYMax = 16 //Configurable In the Alt N menu and config

RandomX = random.randint(RandomXMin, RandomXMax)
RandomY = random.randint(randomYMin, RandomYMax)

SpeedX = (2.5E-06 + RandomX) //this is the speed x variable that is tweakable in the Alt N menu and config
SpeedY = (0.0 + RandomY) //this is the speed y variable that is tweakable in the Alt N menu and config

I know I'm mixing with floats, but it is just an example.

Spare rocket parts and fuel to anyone who can guess the language.. (should be really easy :P)

Ah, well, the problem stems from trying to seperate the cloud layers. If they aren't seperated, you have this weir overlap or gap that doesn't look nice.

As for the Random offset, it would be a lot more complicated than that to accomplish what you wanted in your original post and look nice. If you update it every frame, it will jerk arround alot, and it won't look like smooth rolling clouds. If you update it every minute or so, all of a sudden it would change speed. Again, not nicely. You would have to create some sort of "speed-change" mechanism to make it work smoothly. Not sure if it is worth the effort.