[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

Seriously, You're amazing. If a KSP Modder wiki was made, the first thing it would say is - "Limitations? What are those?"

You're amazing at not only modding, but being an all around great guy. Your work is truly amazing.

Anyway, hows development of the new version coming along? Anything new to show, any progress?

Limitations: I agree... As anyone who plays KSP can attest. If it can be thought of, it can be done. Limitations only exist to the extent of a workaround or solution.

Thanks! :) I don't have much additional to show just yet. Still tweaking and working on shaders. I want to get back to at least the functionality of 7-3 plus a little extra until the next release. Before that, will be a beta period to make sure config workings are flawless, and the new shaders are sufficient for replacing the old ones. Once that release is out, I'll have more flexibility to experiment.

Shadows, rings, auroras, etc. won't likely be in this immediate release though if I want to make the end of the month deadline.

Limitations: I agree... As anyone who plays KSP can attest. If it can be thought of, it can be done. Limitations only exist to the extent of a workaround or solution.

Thanks! :) I don't have much additional to show just yet. Still tweaking and working on shaders. I want to get back to at least the functionality of 7-3 plus a little extra until the next release. Before that, will be a beta period to make sure config workings are flawless, and the new shaders are sufficient for replacing the old ones. Once that release is out, I'll have more flexibility to experiment.

Shadows, rings, auroras, etc. won't likely be in this immediate release though if I want to make the end of the month deadline.

Like i've suggested, it's probably best to release the new Shaders and GUI first. As the old GUI didn't have what we have done in mind, a new one with them in mind will be a lot easier to work with. Especially the new ability to move around layers and rename them. In the end, as long as the GUI has the ability to keep a layer in the exact same spot without it ever moving away from the position no matter where Kerbin is in it's orbit will make me happy.

End of the month? I have a case of Redbull and a whip that says you can do better! How do you expect to work in the games industry aiming for things like 'quality'? Not a single shader you've released has been paid DLC!

So I tried to install the Dust storms a few times now. but it still wouldnt work for me. What exactly do I have do?

Thanks in advance :)

I don't think the configs changed, and he probably updated it anyway. I don't know what the actual problem you're having is, but if you can't get it to work any 3 of the current config packs have dust storms included. You can delete any unwanted cloud layers from the pack.

Ok, rbray, I downloaded your mod (the low-res version), and I've got a couple of things to ask (mind you, I'm a bit code-ignorant):

#1: Are Duna's clouds SUPPOSED to be red, like the planet? I thought they were supposed to be white... ish? I can only see them on the darkside of the planet, and even then they come off like a burned umber, in contrast to the initial Duna red color they have on the dayside.

#2: Is there any way to make Eve's cloud layers seem a bit more transparent.. or should I merely download proot's Renaissance Mod to fix that issue?

Edited by Dire_Squid
had to add a little something

Ok, rbray, I downloaded your mod (the low-res version), and I've got a couple of things to ask (mind you, I'm a bit code-ignorant):

#1: Are Duna's clouds SUPPOSED to be red, like the planet? I thought they were supposed to be white... ish? I can only see them on the darkside of the planet, and even then they come off like a burned umber, in contrast to the initial Duna red color they have on the dayside.

#2: Is there any way to make Eve's cloud layers seem a bit more transparent.. or should I merely download proot's Menaissance Mod to fix that issue?

Yes, they are. They were suppose to be like dust storms, but now with VC's there's no point really.

Alt+N will let you use the GUI. Change the alpha of the layers to what ever you wish.

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

No doubt real life rocket scientists would like to fix the "Venus' atmosphere is too thick" bug too.

And don't forget the amateur astronomers who want to fix the "street light pollution" bug as well. There must be a big dimmer switch round here somewhere.

I think the 'Eve' issue is more of a development issue. If Eve had always had a thick atmosphere you couldn't see through, no one would question it. It's more a change in familiarity than a problem, only barely different than the assorted complaints that come up about the cloud layers on Kerbin making landing tougher. So it shouldn't really be examined as a 'realism' issue, and simply more of resistance to change like having s mode and then turning it off.

You'd get the same complaints if you removed part clipping, or even infinite fuel. Some people are just so used to playing that way that they like the idea of the change better than the change itself.

I think the 'Eve' issue is more of a development issue. If Eve had always had a thick atmosphere you couldn't see through, no one would question it. It's more a change in familiarity than a problem, only barely different than the assorted complaints that come up about the cloud layers on Kerbin making landing tougher. So it shouldn't really be examined as a 'realism' issue, and simply more of resistance to change like having s mode and then turning it off.

You'd get the same complaints if you removed part clipping, or even infinite fuel. Some people are just so used to playing that way that they like the idea of the change better than the change itself.

Oh, I'm not complaining at all. I am just curious as to how the mods work, and how they can be adjusted.

It's that time again for another Dev Release: https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/OVERHAUL-8

Added Scaled space clouds back in, as well as scaled space-terrain blending. Tweaked the ocean more.

Getting closer.

Nice. Thanks, rbray.

Any thoughts on the current dev release? I'm looking for early feedback to tweak things. I'm going to be working on scaled space texture overlays next, and a PQS manager for bodies that don't have one.

Well, I'm not sure if I put the files in wrong, but the new cloud files overlapped the old ones, in a reverse pattern, and on only the top half of Kerbin.

I click remove (after hitting Alt+N), and it removes the old layer, leaving the new "half" a layer.

Basically, I dragged and dropped the files into their respected folders, since a merge wasn't being allowed (odd, since file merges happen often for me).

Added Scaled space clouds back in, as well as scaled space-terrain blending.

What do these two terms mean? I haven't followed this thread recently, so it all sounds like technobabble to me.

Well, I'm not sure if I put the files in wrong, but the new cloud files overlapped the old ones, in a reverse pattern, and on only the top half of Kerbin.

I click remove (after hitting Alt+N), and it removes the old layer, leaving the new "half" a layer.

Basically, I dragged and dropped the files into their respected folders, since a merge wasn't being allowed (odd, since file merges happen often for me).

You have to delete the old EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folder first.

What do these two terms mean? I haven't followed this thread recently, so it all sounds like technobabble to me.

Scaled space is mapview and tracking station.

While using RSS, there always seems to be some volumetric clouds over the space center regardless if any clouds are present or not. I can go to map view and not see any clouds anywhere near the space center yet the volumetric clouds are always there. Anyway to fix this?

rbray, do I understand correctly that the scaledspace clouds are now applied directly to the scaledspace mesh? If that's the case, sounds like maybe we should be sure the meshes aren't too bumpy...which is ironic since I've just spent the last week making them bumpy :]

rbray, do I understand correctly that the scaledspace clouds are now applied directly to the scaledspace mesh? If that's the case, sounds like maybe we should be sure the meshes aren't too bumpy...which is ironic since I've just spent the last week making them bumpy :]

Haha, not yet. They are currently applied to a Half-sphere mesh that is moved about.

EDIT: Should I even bother with the shader based overlay? If not, It is nearly ready for a beta.

Lemme load up in RSS (haven't actually tried KSP today). Assuming the z-fighting is minor enough, I'd say you're golden; the only reason I'd think to put it on the scaledspace mesh itself is if you're still hitting z-fighting. Which you probably would be, since mountains go higher than the cloud layer. Unless you're doing that "raise the altitude as a function of camera distance" thing?

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting. There is one big problem with the new GUI: ALT+E is the same keybind (assuming you use E for roll right) as "increase right roll trim."

Yeah, I notice that when my ship decided to do Barel Rolls.