[0.22] BT Engine Pack v1.3

Chase

Okay so been looking at this engine and while I do like it quite a bit. The problem is that at nearly all velocities the stock Turbo jets are higher thrust and they peak out at 2400m/s vs. the scramjet at 2500. There's very little advantage to carrying this with you. I would suggest upping max Thrust to 90-ish and bumping mass to maybe 3 or 4 which will make the TWR closer to the real thing (but still balanced for KSP) Also make the effective velocity range a bit wider maybe 1250m/s to 2800m/s. Those are my recommendations pick and choose.

I would argue it works fine as-is, since it fills a niche that is only really exists because of mods like TV Aerospace or FAR. The stock turbojet is meant to fill the same role as a scramjet all by itself, in absence of any real stock alternative.

Okay, I decided that since Hey, I have a realistic engine that seems massively underpowered to the point I had to tune it up, why not add a realistic engine that seems massively overpowered to the point I have to tune it down.

With that in mind I humbly present the Merlin 1-D Rocket Engine. It has about half the thrust of the real thing, but the ISP is the same.

0yuHsaB.jpg

Once again forgive my poor modeling and texturing.

• 5 months later...

i second this, a RO/RSS fixed scramjet and merlin (is it dual use. like air breathing and rocket mode?) would go along way towards making realistic suborbital planes and SSTO's in RO fixed RSS (esp for the RPL tech tree)

• 1 month later...

I changed the velocity curve to work better with RSS, so I can achieve 11 Mach @ 60km, using ultra light concorde like design.

Still not very useful on spaceplanes, as too low Lift/Weight ratio on super thin atmosphere. But it is still cool to experiment and close enough to realism.

Changed the last 2 values in the part.cfg

velocityCurve

{

key = 0 0.2 0 0

key = 1350 0.3 0 0

key = 1500 0.8 0 0

key = 1700 1 0 0

key = 4000 0.3 0 0

key = 7000 0 0 0

}

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just to clarify, does this mod work ok with 23.5?

Also, how realistic is it? I don't need it to be super realistic I just don't want it to be laughable, like Hooligan labs airships when by default they are set to give 40 times as much lift as they actually would for their volume :P

No air-breathing engine in KSP (without AJE) is *ever* going to be realistic, because the thrust won't vary with air density. If you want a realistic scramjet...well, it's classified how it works, so nobody outside the aerospace companies / DoD actually knows. But your best bet for now might be to set crazy-high temperature limits for an AJE ramjet.

Wow, does anyone use this mod anymore? Would have thought someone somewhere would say SOMETHING by now :P

It's a parts pack. There's no plugin involved save stock plugins. If it were a very old parts pack (basically before the PART{} configuration or before PartModule) then it might require special effort to get working, but it's not.

Simply put, it's just not old enough to worry about. It'll work.

• 3 months later...
Wow, does anyone use this mod anymore? Would have thought someone somewhere would say SOMETHING by now :P
It's a parts pack. There's no plugin involved save stock plugins. If it were a very old parts pack (basically before the PART{} configuration or before PartModule) then it might require special effort to get working, but it's not.

Simply put, it's just not old enough to worry about. It'll work.

Yup. I'm using it right now and it works beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.