Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Post a description on the GitHub issue tracker and include KSP_Data/output_log.txt of a game session where the problem occurred.

I got it sorted out. I had a file where it wasn't supposed to be. Thanks. Also, I'm really loving the mod. Thanks for the hard work.

I forgot to mention, NathanKell's square root range model and multiple antenna support work, or should work. They haven't been tested much but they should definitely be working.

If you set the MultipleAntennaMultiplier to something like 0.10 or 0.25, it sums the excess omni range and adds it as bonus range. Say you have two Communotron 32's at 5Mm each, the second would boost the range to 5.5Mm or 6.25Mm. I think 0.25 is a nice setting considering the power usage of the C-32.

NathanKell's range system (RangeModelType = Root) turns the net range into [Min+ Sqrt(Min*Max)] of two satellites' transmit capability. You should halve your range multiplier if you use this.

Edited by Cilph

So, why does my craft, with antennae, stop working JUST BEFORE REACHING ORBIT?

Which antenna? And how high an orbit are you trying to reach? The small two-pronged antenna works for a relatively short range. You need to deploy the extending one at some point.

And also -- Thank you so much for the "execute node" feature to the flight computer. Doing all the math by hand (and real-time) was a treat/challenge/pain, but at least this method still lets us build the nodes by hand and execute with the proper delay. Still feels like magic, but not entirely auto pilot as with MechJeb.

I'm still seeing "unknown target" when aiming a dish at Mission Control. Is this a visual glitch, or are directional dishes not working properly under .23?

Eighty kilometers. I want to not slowly aerobrake down.

It sounds like you might be running into "line of sight" problems. At some point KSC goes behind the horizon at which point your ship will lose connection.

In my mind you can either put several comm sats in Kerbin orbit. Any altitude will do, so long as you have enough to relay the signal all the way around, but you can set 3 at ~2,868,750m for "kerbo sync" orbit, and give coverage to pretty much all of Kerbin (adding 3 more at the same altitude but in a polar orbit would make sure even the poles are covered). Trick is to make sure you have enough dishes so each sat can relay the KSC signal to the next, and at least one, or a long range omni to relay signal to an active vessel. Right now I've got 4 radial mounted dishes, one large fold out dish, for eventual long range comm (I think it's the gold one, I should really learn the names of these lol) and the dipole omni. Two of the radial mount dishes point at neighboring sats, one radial points at active vessel, and the last one points at KSC, though I think I was planning on having that point at a lower constellation (think I was planning around 4 at around 300km) once I get it setup.

Another way is to delay your gravity turn. The higher you get the longer you'll have connection with KSC. So long as you have enough fuel to circularize once you reach your Ap.

Hm newest update installed and I really miss the com cone (white lines you see in the logo going away from the sattelite) which show you the range and area your antenna coverd... I am in error that I have them not so something is wrong with my install or are they by some issue with 0.23 not reimplemented yet?

NathanKell's range system (RangeModelType = Root) turns the net range into [Min+ Sqrt(Min*Max)] of two satellites' transmit capability. You should halve your range multiplier if you use this.

Can someone explain this in english?

Can someone explain this in english?

Well it's already in English... :P

The RangeModel is used to judge if two antennas/dishes are within range of each other.

For the formula: [Min + Sqrt(Min*Max)], Min is the shorter one of the two antenna/dishes' ranges, Max is the longer one. Sqrt stands for square root. (and that may be the reason this model is named "Root")

Edited by HoneyFox

I know that when using RSS I need to multiply the ranges by 10, but do I also need to adjust the speed of light setting?

Speed of light never changes. :P

(Ok, i'm not at all good at modern physics, so this statement might not be correct.)

Hm newest update installed and I really miss the com cone (white lines you see in the logo going away from the sattelite) which show you the range and area your antenna coverd... I am in error that I have them not so something is wrong with my install or are they by some issue with 0.23 not reimplemented yet?

The cone is the display of a dish pointing at an object/area. If you're targeting say... Mun, then you'll see the coverage wedge pointed that way. The icons in the lower right can hide/show connections and coverage area. If there's an X on one of the icons, it's likely the one that will toggle planetary targets.

I only started using this after .23, but that sound like it would be great to have an option for to be able to see the ranges of the antennas! It would save a lot of guesswork on knowing if you're in range of an antenna or if you'll need to use a dish. If it hasn't been planned, I'm very much in favor of this being added!

Well it's already in English... :P

Well, no, it's not. Else I would not have asked.

The RangeModel is used to judge if two antennas/dishes are within range of each other.

For the formula: [Min + Sqrt(Min*Max)], Min is the shorter one of the two antenna/dishes' ranges, Max is the longer one. Sqrt stands for square root. (and that may be the reason this model is named "Root")

I grasp that it's a formula for determining range, I know what Min and Max mean, sadly you've completely failed to explain what the equations means and how it affects the game.

Ok, let's try again. Not sure what explanation you're looking for here, but here's my try: in the default range model, two nodes are in range if and only if both have antennae (whether omni or dish-and-targeting-the-other-or-nearby-planet) that have range > the distance between the nodes.

In my range model, what determines whether two nodes are in range is whether (range_of_weaker_antenna + squareroot(range_of_weaker_antenna times range_of_stronger_antenna)) > distance between the nodes