Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Yes, vessel has no probe core with SPU, only antennas with SPUPassive, but... Why is it contollable that way? Is it normal?

Well, if it has a normal ModuleCommand with no ModuleSPU attached there is no ModuleSPU to block your input.

Well, if it has a normal ModuleCommand with no ModuleSPU attached there is no ModuleSPU to block your input

You mean that if i wish to fly a realistic way (with loosing control of vessels out of signal range), i need to build craft only using parts with added ModuleSPU?

Not problem for me, i'll add the module, but i didn't know. May be it will be correct to add this information in readme?

If you need fast help, press F5 and try this. :D

I am not yet really experienced with it though.

Setup your maneuver node, open flight computer, in the window: click NODE, set throttle slider to 100%, enter m/s of the node as "123m/s" and as delay the time to your node as "12m34s", press enter.

If you need fast help, press F5 and try this. :D

I am not yet really experienced with it though.

Setup your maneuver node, open flight computer, in the window: click NODE, set throttle slider to 100%, enter m/s of the node as "123m/s" and as delay the time to your node as "12m34s", press enter.

I'll try thank :D

What will happen if I use this with signal delay and kOS? Will kOS simply ignore the delay, or will bad things happen? The whole point for me of using kOS with this would be to use it for maneuvers to complicated for the flight computer on probes with significant signal delay.

Currently kOS works like an autopilot with no delay that loses all control when you have no connection.

When I'm done with kOS integration it works like an autopilot with no delay, where there's a delay to issue commands, where you continue to run your commands when you have no connection.

Hope that cleared it up. I've decided to rewrite my flight computer core from scratch today as well, it needed some refactoring and kOS taught me a nice way to do it.

Currently kOS works like an autopilot with no delay that loses all control when you have no connection.

When I'm done with kOS integration it works like an autopilot with no delay, where there's a delay to issue commands, where you continue to run your commands when you have no connection.

Hope that cleared it up. I've decided to rewrite my flight computer core from scratch today as well, it needed some refactoring and kOS taught me a nice way to do it.

Thanks for the quick response.

It would be neat if copying to and from archive would be limited by RemoteTech's connection rather than the kOS default.

Thanks for the quick response.

It would be neat if copying to and from archive would be limited by RemoteTech's connection rather than the kOS default.

Last I checked the source, copying required no comm range whatsoever.

I have not used kOS, but I may have to start. If I think I get what your saying, an example:

So your saying that hypothetically I have a probe with kOS orbiting Eve with lets say a 1 min (60 sec) delay. I could send the kOS command to download a program. 60 sec later the prob receives and processes that command and initiates a download and 60 sec later the download starts.

That would be epic. Just like the RL spacecraft. Write and test your program on the ground then uplink it to your probe "out there".

Is there a way I could use RT2's signal delay and flight computer without having to put a whole up a whole network of satellites?

Technically you can aim the biggest dish at "mission control" and any time you have a direct line of sight the connection will work.

The problem you quickly discover is that other bodies will block your signal, and Kerbin's 6hour rotation doesn't leave you much signal connection time.

Your satellite network is infrastructure to provide uptime. Generally the more sats you have the more uptime % you'll get (assuming your are placing them into appropriate orbits and aren't bunching them up).

Make sense?

Technically you can aim the biggest dish at "mission control" and any time you have a direct line of sight the connection will work.

Slight correction. First post of the thread, fairly easy to miss if you're not paying attention, I had to hunt for it a bit to find this quote:

Mission Control at the Kerbal Space Center delivers a vast omnidirectional antenna that will reach your vessels up to and slightly beyond Minmus.

[edit] for those looking to change that, there was talk of it a page or two back.

What I actually meant is; Can I change something in the settings.cfg so that other bodies don't block the signal.

In the settings file you can change MissionControlRange, so I guess if it's set to a huge number I wont need to setup a satellite network.

That just leaves the signal blocking, is there a setting for that too?

I have not used kOS, but I may have to start. If I think I get what your saying, an example:

So your saying that hypothetically I have a probe with kOS orbiting Eve with lets say a 1 min (60 sec) delay. I could send the kOS command to download a program. 60 sec later the prob receives and processes that command and initiates a download and 60 sec later the download starts.

That would be epic. Just like the RL spacecraft. Write and test your program on the ground then uplink it to your probe "out there".

Yep, basically you could do that, not sure if it works yet as I haven't gone any further than Kerbin SOI. Although I think the idea is to load up your craft with programs you'll need before you send it out to where ever, that way it can run the program(s) all along the way, even if there is no signal. Either way once these two are fully compatible it'll be...awe....wait for it.....some...r....awesomer! ;)

Last I checked the source, copying required no comm range whatsoever.

Can't speak for the current version, but at least back in 0.7 going above 100km without an antenna meant you couldn't access the archive. I can't remember how the antennae worked, I think the ranges got added together or multiplied by something or another based on the antenna and dish on the ship.

Though now that I think about it I have vague memories of a bug in kOS being mentioned where "copy x from archive." works OOR but "switch to archive." doesn't. /shrug

I would actually expect the command to be like "hey, the next x bytes is something you should store in this location, then execute it", followed by x bytes of hopefully meaningful bytes. If you have ridiculous latency, you design for ridiculous latency by limiting round-trips. So "real" would be more like: at time x upload starts, at x+60 the probe starts receiving and processing the upload, at x + 60 + (size/bandwidth) the uploaded code starts running, hits the first malformed construct (redundancy and checksums are not the kerbal way) and the probe spontaneously disassembles.

Hi Cilph, first off, GREAT MOD! It adds so much to the gameplay.

A couple of suggestions, the both have to do with the flight computer:

• Allow days in the time formats (e.g. 4d 12h 30m). I use this by setting the delay for a command so I can just warp up and then the flight computer will bring it out of warp when it's time. 108h doesn't work, maybe it's an overflow issue...
  • An option to come out of warp when communications have been established.
  • Have the flight computer back out of warp in steps if it's very high timewarp. Otherwise it overshoots.
  • The X button to turn off the engine should add that command to the queue. The only other way I know to turn the engine off is to send a 0% throttle command for a few seconds. Considering you can't do anything when the ship is throttled up (save, exit, switch craft, timewarp), this it important to be able to do easily and (straight forward for people learning).
  • When you cancel a burn command that's in progress, it should reset the throttle to 0%.

Thanks again!

Edited by Sarke

I really want to use this mod but it still dislikes sharing the throttle with MechJeb. Any time I ask MechJeb to do anything with the throttle, the two start fighting over it and the jittering doesn't stop unless I switch ships.

• Allow days in the time formats (e.g. 4d 12h 30m). I use this by setting the delay for a command so I can just warp up and then the flight computer will bring it out of warp when it's time. 108h doesn't work, maybe it's an overflow issue...
  • An option to come out of warp when communications have been established.
  • Have the flight computer back out of warp in steps if it's very high timewarp. Otherwise it overshoots.
  • The X button to turn off the engine should add that command to the queue. The only other way I know to turn the engine off is to send a 0% throttle command for a few seconds. Considering you can't do anything when the ship is throttled up (save, exit, switch craft, timewarp), this it important to be able to do easily and (straight forward for people learning).
  • When you cancel a burn command that's in progress, it should reset the throttle to 0%.

FWIW, my opinions:

1. Schedulling burns that far into the future is a bit iffy due to the jitter in orbital paths, but I can see the benefit for dropping out of warp, even though I'd still use Kerbal Alarm Clock for that. Also, I was able to set up a 108h and above delay just fine, though I cba to check if 388800 seconds actually is 108 hours or that 393015s is 109h10m15s. (nor did I warp to that to see if it actually does anything after the countdown hits zero)

2. Sounds like a nice idea, I like it. :)

3. I'd support that. The RT warp abort is nice as a backup, but I use KAC for main warp cutting, especially on long warps because it doesn't overshoot.

4. The X button should stay "instant" for canceling i.e. ignoring any delay you've set up, but obeying signal lag, or the flight comp should have a big friendly panic button saying "stop everything right frelling now" that ignores manual delay. Having a button to send a delayed engine turn off wouldn't hurt though, but sending any % burn for 0s works alright. (just thought of something, you did mean the X-button in flight comp, not X-key on the keyboard, right? :D )

5. If you mean the ships throttle, then yes it should and it does. Well, after a quick test it appears it releases the throttle to what it is manually set up to, and you can change the manual value while RT has locked the throttle, so don't lean on your shift key while RT is burning. If you mean the burn-timer-power-slider in the flight comp should reset to 0%, then no, it shouldn't, and I'm undecided on it reseting to 0% whenever I close the FC, but I can live with that.

I'd like it if we could get the queue as a separate window. The flight comp and queue together are a bit wide to have open on my monitor, stacking them vertically would solve it for me but probably tick off someone else, so being able to move them separately could be good. :)

Hi,

I think in this version of remote tech omni-directional antenna are broken.

I have a kerbostationary sat network set up with directional antennas and I am trying to construct a big com station for Interstellar probing. I'm going to use a couple of biggest 9000 dishes but to extend them and not break anything I decided to mount small dish modules on a vertical axis to take up as much space as possible. and then in orbit dock them on a horizontal axis so that they wont break anything when deployed.

The problem I have is the mothership does not bounce the connection from directional antennae to omni-directional. I have omni-directional and directional antennas on the mother ship and a small omni-directional antenna on dish module. All antennas are active but when I undock the dish module I loose connection. Or am I doing something wrong?

b7e4xj.jpg