Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

And I have a question.

What I need to press to activate flight computer? I'm pressing green button with calculator icon, and nothing is happens.

I press green button and get flight computer. But can only do it when there is a connection.

This additive setting is that in normal RT or do i need to change other files than settings.cfg?

Actually, the probe won't have a clue, nor need it, about if KSC has received it's data back, for to get that it should for another connection sending acknowledge, which is completely irrelevant to it to execute it's received orders, doubling the delay doesn't made sense to me.

Delay 10 sec.

0:00 - KSC: command issued and sent

0:10 - Probe: command received, executed and confirmed (at this point you have already performed the manuever, anything past this is irrelevant to the flight computer)

0:20 - KSC: confirmation received (probe doesn't know or care about this as it's not at KSC and has already performed the manuever)

0:30 - Probe: acknowledge of confirmation received (probe knows it's data was received and gets happy for acomplishing it's mission 20 seconds ago)

Cilph let me add my range model.

[...]

Cilph, it'd be real nice if you could add this info to the OP. :)

+1 I just found this and and I like it.

And to report on the MJ2 things a few page earlier : Cilph pointed me to the problem. I found why it does that, now I need to find how to fix it. Don't hold your breath but It will come.

Please don't use NathanKell's range system yet ;) It has a bug that I haven't yet pushed his fix for.

I think I'll reserve next weekend for Documentation and Polish as well.

Edited by Cilph

Could we have the flight computer available for vessels without probe cores but are manned?

Why would you need that? Other than for setting automatic maneuvers and what not. In that case just throw on a probe core, not a big deal really.

What other mods are compatible with this?

There seems to be trouble with the flight computer side and MechJeb - anything else does not seem to pose a problem.

You would have to add the new MODULEs to the antenna and probe core parts of a mod, shouldnt be to hard, take the cfg files as a guideline.

That's it. No limit on connection number, just get in range as many as you and your PC can :D

That was my perception, but a probe I have in range of my munar comms network via omnidirectional antenna is not communicating.

That was my perception, but a probe I have in range of my munar comms network via omnidirectional antenna is not communicating.

Line of sight? Antenna on probe has enough range to reach an antenna of the network? Enough power? Antenna activated?

When you look at the map view representation, what links are not showing? From your probe to the munar comm network? As always, sending me the persistence.sfs file will allow me to properly debug the situation.

Make sure the munar comm satellite actually has the omni switched on and is not communicating solely with a dish back to Kerbin. You had a signal in your latest video. I wonder what changed.

Edited by Cilph

What other mods are compatible with this?

For the most part I think most mods are. There are a few that are specifically being worked on to be compatible with RT2 (like kOS and MechJeb). On the flip side there were reports of a few mods (forget which) that caused conflicts with RT2, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Okay, I've just seen scott's latest video and I have no immediate idea why that probe failed to work. The lines appearing clearly shows that a connection is possible (and come from the same pool of data). So Scott, if you could do me a favor, PM me your persistence file.

EDIT: PM Sent.

Edited by Cilph

Hi all

Long time reading - first question. I guess this is a sign that great people posting great mods here, no need for asking :)

However, I ran into something. I don't know if it's me who screws up something, so I'll ask you about this one.

I just launched my first lander, Phunix, to Minmus in Career mode with looots of science equipment hoping that it will boost my science up. I have a deployed comm network at Kerbin with 3 geosynchronous comsats, one other comsat orbiting Mun, and another one orbiting Minmus with high inclination (Minmuscom - 1).

To minimize weight, I have one dish and one omnidirectional on my lander. Comm network worked prefectly for 6 Mupollo missions to Mun, and was working also with Phunix as well, as long as I got connection from Comsat-2 (orbiting Kerbin). As I'm closing in on Minmus, I switched dish target to Minmuscom, and BAM! No connection, all controls lost.

What I don't understand is this is happening despite of the active connection between Phunix and Minmuscom. When I switch to Minmuscom, it indicates an active link through Comsat(s) to KSP, control is available. Link to Phunix is visible from here as well (see linked screenshots)

Map view from Minmuscom

Map view from Phunix

Am I doing something wrong here..?

Thanks

It seems like that I have problems with connection multi-linking, when signal from KSP to the probe has 2 or more jumps. The second probe from KSP has signal and is connected and controllable, however, the 3rd is not. It does show a link to the 2nd probe, which has connection on its own, but still nothing... :( I reproduced the problem with a polar lander on Kerbin. Link should be KSP - Geosync. comsat - Polar comsat - Polar lander. Control stops at Polar comsat.

Okay, not sure if this has been discussed, I have vague memories of something 30-40 pages back but a cursory glance didn't locate anything and this might well be an engine limitation and not a bug, but here goes.

I have satellites next to Minmus and Mun, pointing one dish towards the body they're next to and another towards Kerbin. The Minmus dish towards Kerbin has a cone angle that's wider than the orbit of the Mun, however a ship orbiting the Mun cannot get a signal from the Minmus satellite.

Minmus is in LoS: http://imgur.com/dtLlGsh

Satellite in range, no connection: http://imgur.com/QUQ69Hx

Note that in the second link the Mun satellite does get a connection to the Minmus satellite, since it's not actually inside the Muns SOI, but some 500km behind it on an identical orbital period, same thing with the Minmus one, just outside Minmus SOI in Kerbin orbit. Then, when moving out of the Muns SOI the connection to Minmus is regained.

http://imgur.com/1Z2GO3t

I've also started up the dishes pointing at the geosync satellites and the Mun satellite, hence the extra line towards Kerbin, curiously I can get a signal from the Mun satellite, despite it targeting the Mun with it's dish and my ship being outside the Muns SOI. I suspect this might have to do with the satellite and ship being in the same SOI. [edit] scratch that, it was an omni it was connecting on *facepalm*

Dish setup for the satellites: http://imgur.com/X7zgH8h

Not a big problem, easily worked around and I probably wouldn't have even run into it if my science probe hadn't had the right amount of fuel to take off from Minmus, realize that's about all I can do and then coax it into a fake L5(or is it L4). No problems were discovered (since the Mun-sat is in Kerbin orbit) until the first manned Munar mission attempted to further the comms trickery and bounce their science from the far side of the Mun via the Minmus-sat and couldn't get a signal.

Infact it's so easy to work around that I'm not even sure if it is worth spending too much effort in fixing it (and if it isn't just user error), an extra dish at my Minmus-sat pointing at the Mun would have done it, and never would have noticed if I had already set up my satellite network in Mun orbit, which I have to do anyway, instead of going Ned Moar Science! and shoving some kerbals in a rocket and shooting them towards the Mun without a proper communication network to abuse science with. :P

I'm rambling aren't I? So, in a nutshell, tl:dr, or whatever:

If the cone of a Dish pointed at a Body contains a Second Body, the Dish will not connect to objects inside the SOI of the Second Body.

Technical limitation, design choice for performance, a bug, or user error? :) Regardless, a situational minor inconvenience, probably not worth wasting too much time or energy on.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything important, except posting this in github and providing log and persistence file, which might set off some automated alarms, sorry :/ I'll try to remember to do that if someone else cares to confirm that this is an issue in 1.2.6 and it's not one of my other mods doing something wonky somewhere? :)

In case it matters, I don't have signal delay, nor NathanKells antenna range thingy on. (was planning on turning it on but saw Cilphs post asking not to)

I think I'll reserve next weekend for Documentation and Polish as well.

Reading that I went: "Huh? He's gonna start doing localizations? :o " *facepalm* christ.... I think I might be tired or something :rolleyes::sticktongue:

Edited by Sacred Aardvark
typos

Okay, I've just seen scott's latest video and I have no immediate idea why that probe failed to work. The lines appearing clearly shows that a connection is possible (and come from the same pool of data). So Scott, if you could do me a favor, PM me your persistence file.

EDIT: PM Sent.

Vessel is connected to the satellite it is targeting and KSC via omni.

No dishes are pointing from Kerbins orbit to Mun.

The only dish is on the rover, which is

to one of the satellites. He landed it from a polar orbit just in sight of Kerbin and drove west, even "closer" to the cone of KSC/in range of the LKO satellite.

My guess:

KSC is on the other side of Kerbin relative to Mun while he tries to control the satellite, so KSC omni cannot connect to the Munar satellites pointing their cones at Kerbin.

The LKO satellites only face their cones to Kerbin, which is in the line of sight whenever they would be facing in the direction of Mun.

Is KSC behind or infront of the horizon

? Edited by KerbMav

to one of the satellites. He landed it from a polar orbit just in sight of Kerbin and drove west, even "closer" to the cone of KSC/in range of the LKO satellite.

My guess:

KSC is on the other side of Kerbin relative to Mun while he tries to control the satellite, so KSC omni cannot connect to the Munar satellites pointing their cones at Kerbin.

The LKO satellites only face their cones to Kerbin, which is in the line of sight whenever they would be facing in the direction of Mun.

?

He has dish connections disabled in the filter, so I can't tell that way.

---

Experimental MechJeb build that might fix issues, try it out: http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

Edited by Cilph

My guess:

Good catch, the geosynchs probably have an antenna towards the active ship (which afaik doesn't use the cone(?) ), so when the active ship doesn't have an antenna capable of responding or isn't in LoS, there aren't any links between Mun and Kerbin. [edit] Unless ksc is visible.

?

I think it looks like it's behind, but it's hard to tell with that red blob sometimes :)

Edited by Sacred Aardvark